Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2002 1:44:29 PM EDT
Hello All. I'm trying to decide between purchasing one or the other Bushmaster Uppers (complete uppers, w/ bolt & carrier). Will either set up offer an advantage over the other ? The M4 style tends to "look" nice, but I prefer to put function before beauty. I'm not planning on mounting an M-203 anytime in the near future, so I don't really need the M4 style. The 16" full heavy bbl should shoot better, but will it be all that much better than the M4 profile? ANY & ALL comments will be most deeply appreciated. THANK YOU. Best, Dom Pastore Jr.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have owned the straight 16" in the past as well as an AK shorty (14.5" with 1.5" brake) and currently own an M4.  I have seen zero difference between the three.  Of course, I have not done specific comparisons at 200 yds or anything but, my M4 shoots like a dream.

Hope that helps a little!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you would be happy with either.  Let price be your guide and go with the one you can get cheapest.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've owned both. With the right ammo, performance between the two is negligible for the most part. It's really a subjective aesthetics issue. They're both great. Bottom line, buy the profile you like the best.

You're gonna have a hard time finding opinions around here...NOT!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm happy with the way that my 16" M4A3 shoots but it has the godawful Mini-Y Comp that has to go.  If you can get either without a comp, do so; if you really want the comp you can have the CavComp, KKF, or Wilson comps done at a later date.

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

......if you really want the comp you can have the CavComp, KKF, or Wilson comps done at a later date.

Have you decided which way you're going on the comp ??  
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll definitely want to go with an M4, fluted, or Superlight.  They are balanced better than the heavy barrel.  I have tried everything but the fluted (have it on my 20" upper though).  For shooting on the fly I like the pencil barrel.  For sustained bench shooting the HBAR is the way to go.  It really depends on personal preference so try and find one in each variety and see which one feels the most comfortable.  Good luck!

Link Posted: 7/13/2002 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't get a brake.  Does Bushmaster make an M4 with no brake?  If not, get the heavy 16" and no brake or a RRA with fake brake.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#8]

5subslr5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

......if you really want the comp you can have the CavComp, KKF, or Wilson comps done at a later date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you decided which way you're going on the comp ??  

I have a CavComp on another rifle and I really like it, but I think I'm going to go with the KKF A3 because I think the length might be necessary, when the Mini-Y is removed, to keep the barrel over 16".

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi Guys. THANKS for all the replies, I really appreciate it. I guess I should have mentioned if the upper was going to be a pre or post ban version. It will be purchased in pre-ban configuration, as both of my Colt AR's are of pre-ban manufacture. I currently have only two left, a NIB Colt #6520 (GC-0095XX) & a MIB Colt #6700 (CH-0073XX) With the price of the NIB 6520's going ever up & up, I figured I might pick up the 16" BM M4 complete upper & mount it on the Colt 6700's lower. I've been looking for a Colt 6721 or 6920 upper unit for a while now, but I guess I'm not going to find one for under $700 or so. Although I'd prefer the Colt, I could be quite happy with a nice pre-ban M4 BM upper. BM has raised the complete uppers to $545.00, but it's still about $200 cheaper than the Colt unit. Here's another related question ? Which bbl will give a BM M4 a shorter OAL, a 16" bbl with the standard A2 flash-hider, or the 14.5" bbl with the pinned / welded BM "Phantom" flash-hider ? (I think the "Phantom" measures 2-3/16") The difference is probably meaningless, but I'm curious all the same. THANKS again Guys for all your input. Your comments are deeply appreciated. Regards,  Dom Pastore Jr.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]
HBAR is Latin for "too heavy" so the M4 is the better of the two choices.  Did you consider Bushmaster's Superlight barrel?
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Skich pretty much stated it the best. If you want an upper for long  shooting sessions, the H-Bar is the better choice. More mass = better heat dissipation.Thats a plus but the downside is the weight, and the balance point of the rifle is a bit nose heavy. If you're going to be packing it around a lot, the M4 barrel is a better choice,great balance and lighter weight (rifle overall) but it gets hot quick!Havent tried the superlight barrels yet, but for a large individual like me, weight isnt that much of a concern. Since you are putting it on a preban, get a Vortex or a Phantom on the front.You wont be sorry with either one.
Dont be decieved by barrel length "the shorter the better". Everybodys  body build is different, so for me a 16 in standard H-Bar  barrel was perfect.For other people it isnt.Check out as many different configs as you can and go with what feels good to you. Again Skich's advice is on the money.
As far as ballistics go, I wouldnt go any shorter than 14.5 in. Plenty of pages on the board that tell you why that is. Good luck with your choice and enjoy the crap out of whatever one you get!Feed it well and feed it often!
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Lets see , humm... , I'll do a HRAR 16" pre-ban with an A2 flash suppressor, fluted , of course. M4s look cool but can't take many rounds thru it before having to stop and letting it cool down. Somewhere on this board there were photos of a melt down M4 where a round had gone thru the side of the barrel where it "drooped". A 16" is the shortest I'd use. The 5.56 is all about velocity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top