Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2002 2:44:33 PM EDT
i have always been fascinated during the falkland campaign, and my interest was once again piqued by a history channel about the fighting, goose green, etc.
i know the brits usedthe FAL, and some m16s, but i have never heard what the argentines used.  also the FAL????
anyone got any pics?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The Argintines also used the FAL. I saw a picture with a British soldier gaurding captured weapons, someone had made a fence of Argentine FALs stuck muzzle down around the captured goods. Sorry, no pics.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, it was the locally produced version of the L1A1 (they called it the SLR).
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
They used locally produced (marked with FM logo and Fabrica Militar de Armas Portatiles-Rosario, Industria Agrentina), FN licensed FALs (Fusil Automatico Livano), FALO (heavy barrel FAL with bipods) and MAGs. Their FAL is  different than the L1A1 in that the L1A1 is inch pattern, Argentinean FALs are metric, they also had shorter barreled, folding stock para FALs that there's no inch version of.  Brits didn't use FALO, they had the Bren Gun and MAGs, L1A1 is mostly semi automatic, I think Argentinean FALs were select fire.  Full auto FAL has a "bang bang jam" problem (fire two shots in full auto then jams) FN engineers never quite fixed, not to mention the weapon becomes uncontrollable in full auto.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]

I think they used a FAL type also.  Their Army of conscripts didn't do too well but the pilots in their Air Force sure had some balls.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The small arms were very similar between the fighting sides in the conflict.

As said, the had FAL type rifles, FN MAG 58, Browning M2 HBs and so on...

I think this picture of the members of Naval Party 8901 in Argentinian captivity has been seen countless of times, one interesting detail is the Sterling Mk 5, or L34A1 in British Army use, being used by the Argentinian naval special forces on the left here:

For a very good source on the net regarding the Falklands conflict, go here:

www.britains-smallwars.com/main/index1.html

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

They used locally produced (marked with FM logo and Fabrica Militar de Armas Portatiles-Rosario, Industria Agrentina)........

This same "Rosario" group produced some few very fine semi-auto FAL's.  These guns are sought after by collectors but may well be the most counterfeited gun I know of.  Only a true expert should buy one.  (and I'm not)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top