Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2002 5:02:56 PM EDT
I know this is the AR site, but this site has the best fourms I've seen yet. I was tring to purchase one of the new Springfield Armory M1 Garands, but it seems hopeless. So I have credit in the store to purchase or put towards another rifle of my choosing.

I've always wanted a fifty cal. I've looked for chat forums, but I can't find one to my liking, So I turn to yall.  

I was wanting to know:
what I should I look for in a fifty,
who makes a good quality rifle,
any companies I should stay away from,
any mojor problems with a fifty,
or anything else I should know.

My budget is around 3,500 not including glass, and I'm looking for a bolt action.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking at 50's for quite some time now.  These are the ones that seem like a good buy for the price, quality, and accuracy.

Armalite AR-50  $2500

Barret M99  $2900

EDM Windrunner Model 50 $3000

They are all within $500 of each other and all seem to have made some kind of record somewhere.  I need to look into what kind of warranty these all have and how there customer service is.  I'm leaning more in the direction of either the AR-50 or the Barret.

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with a Barrett.  The bolt-action ones are $5,100.  Expensive, but they look mean.  Very nice to shoot, and they give you a feeling of power...

www.barrettrifles.com/rifles_95.html

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
$2100 more for the magazine just didnt seem like the way to go.  I would stick with the M99.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the Barrett M99.  If you find a friendly FFL, dealer price is around $2300.  A world record was set using the Barrett M99 - 4.09" 5-shot group at 1000 yards.  See link...

www.barrettrifles.com/news_talbot.html

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Serbu is another name, not familiar with them, heard the name and seen one at Bulletfest III.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Another vote for the Barrett M99.  If you find a friendly FFL, dealer price is around $2300.  A world record was set using the Barrett M99 - 4.09" 5-shot group at 1000 yards.  See link...

www.barrettrifles.com/news_talbot.html

I have a pic of that M99 around here somewhere.. I was there with my pops to see it in person. I looked through the spotting scope and all the little red dots looked like one big hole in the paper.

It was funny, while he was doing it, he was wisecracking about becoming a weight lifter, because the goofy stuff he had attached to the rifle to make it a benchrest gun were not all that long. So the rifle kept falling out of its rest whenever he took a shot.

For those who have never attended an FCSA event...GO!!

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Serbu is another name, not familiar with them, heard the name and seen one at Bulletfest III.

Good gun.  Good price.

It looks cool, plus it's one of the lightest .50's.  Trust me, it's none too light.

Mark has a magazine-fed upgrade in the works, so you can send back your BFG to get it to accept magazines.

I think the carbine is the most interesting development.  In fact, I sold my BFG-50 with the intent of buying the carbine as soon as it's available.

www.serbu.com/bfg50.htm

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Something about the term "BFG-50 Carbine" just makes me laugh.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Something about the term "BFG-50 Carbine" just makes me laugh.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

I'd like to see the "entry model"...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]
What about the L.A.R.'S?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#12]
IS the Barrett M82A1 legal in Kalifornia???
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 1:33:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Nope, it has a detachable magazine, is semi-auto
and has a pistol grip
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Sparsky,
one of the Mods for this forum is AROCK.  A. Rock ranks about number four in this planetary system and he shoots a .50 ArmaLite.  I would check with him directly before I did anything were I a serious buyer.  (Whether or not you pick ArmaLite.)
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Take a good hard look at the McMillan before jumping into anything.
If not his whole rifle, than look at his 50 cal stock that can't be beat.
Decide if you want to just make lots of noise and plink with surplus ammo, not that accurate.
Or do you want to shoot small groups at extreme range, using ammo that is way expensive even if you reload.
Look at the 50 cal shooting web sights and see what rifles competitors are using.
Remember to set aside some good money for quality optics and mounts.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Take a look at the .50 Beowolf at www.alexanderarms.com.
I believe it uses a regular AR lower.
AR mags are used as single stack. The round looks similar to a 50 AE.
Just the upper is about $600. There is an article about them in the latest Dillon cataloge "The Blue Press".
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What about the L.A.R.'S?

Got an acquaintance with one.  You GOTTA use match ammo (according to him and the LAR website), and even with match ammo, after 5 or 10 shots the damn bolt would get stuck.  I dunno if he just didn't clean it well or what.  

I'd rather take a Barrett.  No way I can afford one, but I'd like one.  I'll be getting a Serbu one of these days.  They look like damn fine guns, at a damn fine price.  Anyone know if you can use non-match ammo in these with no problem?

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top