Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 8:31:25 PM EDT
My eldest Daughter, who will turn 7, received her birthday present a little early today:

You can imagine the look on her face when she saw it.  You can imagine how Dad felt seeing the excitement on her face.
She knows it's mine, too!
She said, "when I'm 18, then I can have it."
I asked her where she heard THAT.  She said, "you told me that, DAD!"

I put on a Tasco 1.5-4.5x20 in Tasco .22 rings.
Pro-Shot reticle.  A little extra eye relief is built into the scope, and at 50-ft., the little circle in the reticle matches the target center.
It should be an excellent teaching tool.

Of course, the Butler Creek flip-ups are on it.
It looks great.

You should know that the Eddie Eagle rules have been posted and discussed for years around here.
Now, the first 4 RULES of gun handling are being taught.
When the kid can tell me what they are without hesitation or feeling intimidated, she can load the first round and try her hand at hitting the target with the open sights.
When that happens with regularity, the scope goes on!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]

photo courtesy of Arms of History, Janesville WI

While casually guy shopping together, my then 7 year old son found one of these (Winchester 1902) about 18 mos ago...it came home with us that day!

He spent the 3rd of July this year at Middletown (OH) Rod and Gun, with myself and my uncle. He couldn't have been happier.

Ditto on Eddie Eagle, I think we started about 18 mos old. The same on the safe handling rules.
He gets to load himself now, but the manually operated bolt is pretty stiff, so he will need help with that for a while. Too bad we have to travel out of NY to do this (NY state law limits the use of centerfire and rimfire firearms to 12 yrs +).

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
GunnyG,
That's a cool old rifle!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Awwwww, such great dads you both are.  My 7½ year old son and I have been checking the shows for his first .22 rifle.  He might get one for Christmas or his next birthday.  Grandpa & I have been teaching him well.  He's doing a fine job of proving himself safe and responsible.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks BusMaster! My 5 yr old daughter decided she wanted to try it out too. I'm thinking I might have to get a couple Chipmunk or Cricket rifles to keep up. I wonder if they might be available with a 4 position collapsible stock?

BTW, where are you in Seattle? I grew up in Woodinville; Inglemoor HS class of '83.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
North end.
Perimeter of Snoose Junction.
Ballard High of '74.  Ya sure, ya betcha!

The Chipmunk is a neat little unit.
I saw one of the new Cricket rifles, too.
Stainless.  Don't remember if it was scopeable, though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ya sure, ya betcha!

Holy Lutefisk, BusMaster! The last time I was in No. Seattle, I was stuck following a Bus down Aurora, with its left turn signal on permanently, and driving at 35 MPH in the left lane. (edited to add the mandatory "Uff Da!" and Norwegian flag bumper stickers to the back bumper) Was that you? j/k!

The Chipmunk is a neat little unit.
I saw one of the new Cricket rifles, too.
Stainless.  Don't remember if it was scopeable, though.

When I was at NAS Whidbey the last time, ('93-96), this family business was doing some pretty cool things with Chipmunk rifles. I really regret that I didn't get one or two then:

Greenes Gun Shop
4778 Monkey Hill Road, Oak Harbor, WA 98277
(360) 675-3421

They probably could scope a Chipmunk. Want a Mannlicher or Monte Carlo style stock? How about checkering and other engraving? Their engraver and stock maker had customized several rifles as sales samples. I saw some of their work, and their intent was that these were to be later donated to a Friends of the NRA event (held on their range).

BTW, I believe that they are related by blood or marriage, and general location to:
Varner Sporting Arms-www.varnerguns.com
The Hawken Shop - www.thehawkenshop.com
Dayton Traister Inc.- www.daytraco.com
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been thinking about getting a Henry Arms Mini-Bolt .22 for my 7 year old daughter:

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting a Henry Arms Mini-Bolt .22 for my 7 year old daughter:

Maybe that's the one I'm confusing with the Cricket.  I think so.  It's got the same firesights as the Marlin we got.  Nice little unit, alright!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top