Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 8:05:29 PM EDT
Bushmaster sells a preban 14.5" barrel M4 upper, but since there are no disclaimers on it, I'm figuring the 14.5" length doesn't include the F/H. Is that the case, ie. does the 14.5" have a 1.5" F/H making it the legal length?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless the FH is permanently attached this would make a SBR and require registration/tax stamp.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The first 1/2" of your 1.5" flash suppressor is threaded. When you put that FS on a 14.5" barrel, you lose a 1/2" in length. 14.5" barrel + 1.5" FS only equals 15.5" when installed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The first 1/2" of your 1.5" flash suppressor is threaded. When you put that FS on a 14.5" barrel, you lose a 1/2" in length. 14.5" barrel + 1.5" FS only equals 15.5" when installed.

Kurt at KKF does a 15" barrel with a Perm attached 1.5 FS and it reaches 16.1".
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:52:57 AM EDT
[#4]
This assumes pre-ban configuration. If you're not going the SBR route, a permanently attached Phantom or a Vortex FH will satisfy the 16" minimum legal barrel length. A standard USGI A2 FH will be less than 16" whether it's permanently attached or not.

For post-ban, there are any number of muzzle brakes that will work, Bushmaster's AK74, Kurt's Kustom, Smith Enterprises, etc... that will bring the total barrel length past the 16" minimum. They too must be permanently attached.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If you welded on a bayonet to the barrel would this qualify for the overall bbl length? what about postban status?

Not really thinking of doing this I know its stupid but just curious.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#6]
FNG,

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the test case for that one!

Saleen
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you welded on a bayonet to the barrel would this qualify for the overall bbl length? what about postban status?

Yeah I'd ask the ATF about htat one before I tried it... I'm pretty sure they would say "No" to that one though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No it would not count as part of the barrel and I'll bet you can guess about a postban status AR with a welded-on bayonet.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't it a shame there is not a law requiring a permanently attached blood supply to the brains of all politicians?
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I think if you permanently welded a bayonet to the barrel it would be perfectly legal.

The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means...
...(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
(iii) a bayonet mount
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
(v) a grenade launcher

I think that if you welded a bayonet to the rifle, but do not have a bayonet mount, by definition you are following the law.  I'm not sure though.  You'd have to call the BATF on this one and get it in writing.

Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:13:00 AM EDT
[#11]
The weld between the barrel and the bayonet would be considered the "mount".
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:12:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Weld the Bayonet to the barrel??? AR15.com, we answer teh questions that nobody asks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top