Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 7:29:39 PM EDT
I am doing my pre purchase investigation down the .308 path. I have looked at and heard about the Rem.700PSS, Savage10FP and HOWA-M1500. But what about the SIG-SHR970? Anyone know anything about these and how they compare to the others above?
www.sigarms.com/products/sanswiss-shr970.asp
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked at the FN police special?   Oklahoma police supply has 2 of the older models left.  The new ones are going to be pricey.  Quality is most excellent.  All the others you mention are very nice as well..
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Seriously check out the Winchester Stealth.  Go to the snipercountry.com duty roster and do a search for it.  they're nice.
Later,
R
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought the savage 10fp for around $400.  I belelive savages are the best rifles straight out of the box.  even though i threw a choate stock on mine and a kahles fixed 10 power scope.  super nice rifle,  sub 1 inch groups at 100, very similiar at 200,  cant put paper out past that or i would give you a report on further distances.  good luck which ever you choose.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#4]
This is AR15.com not .308   Though you will find very knowledgeable people here aswell as great tips go with TRUMPET and check out SNIPERCOUNTRY.com   They guys overthere have a great site dedicated to the sport of longrifle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I would suggest the Remington PSS, and VS or the Winchester Model 70 Stealth.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have you looked at the FN police special?   Oklahoma police supply has 2 of the older models left.  The new ones are going to be pricey.  Quality is most excellent.  All the others you mention are very nice as well..

I'm surprised anyone has the FN rifle.  Tested great against three $4,000 rifles - kicked their a$$ in fact.  Well worth a look.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:28:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If I were considering a SIG product, I would direct my attention to the SSG, or R93.  The SHR-970 was designed as a hunting rifle.

When chosing a precision rifle, as with most things in life, it all comes down to how much money you have to spend.  The Savage is probably the best "value" in a precision rifle, while the Remington offers you more in terms of customization.  Either rifle is usually more capable than the shooter.

When determining what you want in a precision rifle, don't forget to give at least as much consideration to your optics.  You can easily spend more on good optics than you spend on the rifle, and after all, you can't hit what you can't see.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Remington LTR(Light Tactical Rifle) chambered in a .308.  W/a Springfield Armory 3rd Gen scope.  I can shoot 1"group at 150yds
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Try www.snipershide.com and www.sipersparadise.com and then give George Gardner at G.A. Precision a call or look at his website at www.gaprecision.net.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Do you have a phone # or web address for Oklahoma Police Supply?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been checking out the Sako 75 Finnlight rifle lately.  Prior to that, I was set on a Rem LTR.  I like the Sako extractor and ejector set-up better than the Remingtons.  

IIRC, there was an article in a recent issue of Rifle magazine (I think this was the magazine???).  In it, the Sako shot a 3/8" 3-shot group - this was 3/8" overall, not center-to-center.  

The rifle is very light, and would be a great piece to just sling over the shoulder.  On the other hand, the lighter weight may mean a bit more recoil than, say, a Rem PSS or LTR or something like that.  It all depends on what you want to do with it.  I think they retail around $900 - $1000ish.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]
There's also Steyr SBS Tactical.  The stock is kind of weak, though.  Barrel is free-floated, but the stock flex easily, and the wrist area is on the thin side.  If you can't live with that, throw another $350 for a McMillen replacement stock.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#15]
mzzlebrk,
Thanks for mentioning SC .  I was going to, but I didn't want to sound like a broken record so I didn't.  I wasn't sure if there was any sort of "website protocol" about recommending other sites or not, so I thought it best for me not to mention it for the umpteenth time in a few days. LOL. There've been a few threads similar to this lately and I've responded to every one of 'em "...check out snipercountry.com...blahblahblah"  
those guys really helped me get started in "tactical" rifles (much the way all youse guys here have helped me get started in highpower ARs) and I figger' if they can help a basket case like me, they're goooood .
Later dudes,
R
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a SHR 970 in 30-06 with a synthetic stock. I've had a lot of rifles and it's more accurate out of the box than any other rifle I've ever had. The barrel is heavier than most other hunting rifles but not as heavy as a varmint rifle. I'm getting around 1/2 MOA with Federal Prem 165 gr Ballistic Tips. The best thing is that I can change calibers very easily. I'm thinking of having a heavy 308 barrel made for it.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I absolutely love my Remington...

Just got it recently, and haven't realized it's potential yet...

So far, easy 1" groups @ 100yds with cheap "off the shelf" Remington ammo...

Federal Premiums will do MUCH better...

Pics:community.webtv.net/YULLOSE/700pss
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 4:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have a SHR 970 in 30-06 with a synthetic stock. I've had a lot of rifles and it's more accurate out of the box than any other rifle I've ever had. The barrel is heavier than most other hunting rifles but not as heavy as a varmint rifle. I'm getting around 1/2 MOA with Federal Prem 165 gr Ballistic Tips. The best thing is that I can change calibers very easily. I'm thinking of having a heavy 308 barrel made for it.  

The fact that you can put a different caliber barrel on it is the reason the SHR970 caught my eye. I am having trouble locating one of these in .308 though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top