Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 1:09:49 PM EDT
Is there really a difference between a Remington 870 Express magnum and a Remington 870P magnum? I’ve never actually seen an 870P (police?) gun in a store. Both have 3” chambers and from what I can tell, the 870P looks just like my 870 Express. Mine has a factory 20” rifle sight barrel and 7-shot tube. What makes the 870P different? The P?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
The 870P has a steel trigger guard, compared to plastic for the Express.  Also, the magazine tube of the newer Express model is dimpled.  These dimples restrict the magazine capacity and don't allow the use of magazine extensions unless you remove them.  

I used a Dremel tool to grind down the dimples on my Express and now it works fine with my +2 extension.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The 870P has a steel trigger guard, compared to plastic for the Express.  Also, the magazine tube of the newer Express model is dimpled.  These dimples restrict the magazine capacity and don't allow the use of magazine extensions unless you remove them.  

I used a Dremel tool to grind down the dimples on my Express and now it works fine with my +2 extension.

I suggested that to somebody and they shuddered at the thought of taking a dremmel to a gun.  Heheheh.  No guts, no cool toys.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:35:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually there quite a few differences. The P models are supposed to have slicker actions and triggers, a special follower, and walnut furniture(instead of whatever that wood is they put on the Express). The handguards are shorter than the Express so you can use a sidesaddle.

They are also supposed to have a little bit thicker barrels. They do have steel trigger guards, but both my Expresses have alloy guards, not plastic.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
My trigger guard is indeed (some form of) metal, not plastic. I bought my express in 1994. I just checked the Rem website and they list the stripped receivers as the same price for both. Hmmmm.

I did have to file down the dimple in the magazine tube. This was about the first time I had ever worked on a gun, and didn't think to stuff some cloth in the base of the magazine tube while I obliterated the dimple. Result - an action full of metal dust!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I suggested that to somebody and they shuddered at the thought of taking a dremmel to a gun.  Heheheh.  No guts, no cool toys.

When I bought my G27 I think I owned for maybe 10 minutes before I had the dremal out on the eject port.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 2:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I just checked my Express and it does indeed have an alloy trigger guard..not plastic as I mentioned in my above post.  My apologies...

I wasn't aware there were any differences in the actions, though.  The Police models I've handled didn't really seem 'slicker' but I suppose they might have a little extra attention spent on them at the factory since these are expected to see more use than the average pump shotgun.

DamageInc-  I, too, ended up with the receiver full of metal dust!  :)

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I’ve never actually seen an 870P (police?) gun in a store.

The "P" actually does not stand for "Police," but rather for "Parkerized."

Strange, but true.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm no authority, but I think that the main differences are in the magazine tubes, the finish, the follower, in sling studs, and maybe some heavier springs.  The fore-end too.
There may be others, and all of this may not be true. . .
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The "P" actually does not stand for "Police," but rather for "Parkerized."

That's what people have been saying lately, but the box my 700P came in says "Police" right on it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks gentleman. I guess I'm at least half way there. I'm going to order a short walnut fore end (so I can put my side saddle on) and a walnut stock from the factory. The hardwood on mine (fruitless mulberry?)is looking a little beat up and stained from years of Damage sweat and abuse.

My action is so broken in it's as smooth as a baby's bottom. No trouble there. I ordered my Remington barrel from Cabelas and it seems to be pretty heavy-duty. It matches the receiver pretty well.

One hell of a shotgun overall. I've been pretty rough on it for 8 years now without any problems. I guess I have nothing to envy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That's what people have been saying lately, but the box my 700P came in says "Police" right on it.

Yep, the box says Police on it, but it's not "people" saying it, it's Remington.

www.remingtonle.com/home/le_tips.htm
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#13]
From Remington's website:

The "P" beside the model Model 870P, Model 11-87P or Model 700P stands for "parkerized" not "police". While there are no blued finish versions of Model 11-87P or Model 700P models, there are still several Model 870P models that utilize blued finishes.

How can they be called "parkerized" if they are blued? I'll tell you why. It's because Remington is trying to be PC, and "P" really stands for "Police", even though they TRY to say otherwise. The "P"-series firearms are not marketed for civilians and do not even have the new trigger-locking mechanisms that the public has had forced upon them. The boxes still say "Police" because they don't expect the general public to see them anyway. No big deal really.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#14]
While we're talking about the 870P, does anyone know if other barrels (26 or 28") could be used on this gun to make it suitable for for sporting purposes?

I've seen that Wingmaster barrels are sold separately.  Will these work with an 870P?

Thanks,

Rob
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How can they be called "parkerized" if they are blued? I'll tell you why. It's because Remington is trying to be PC

I didn't say they weren't trying to be PC, only that it was their official designation

I agree, btw, it is rather dumb to have a blued "parkerized" model.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#16]
The 870-P has the following differences:
Heavy duty magazine spring.
Heavy duty shell releases.
Aluminum trigger group.
No "dimples in the magazine tube and the old style spring retention system.
Heavier trigger/sear spring.
No PC lock in the safety.
Short fore end.
Smoother finish inside and out.
Improved cylinder choke.
Oil finished walnut stock or synthetic.
Parkerized finish, one model is still blued.

Years ago before Remington offered the parkerized finish, ALL Police guns were blued, and were marked 870-P, so it didn't stand for parkerized, it stood for Police.

All standard Remington barrels will fit the
870-P.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top