Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 11:05:32 AM EDT
Last week I returned my old Bushmaster back to its original configuration.

At one time this rifle sported a TiN fire control group, ambi-safety, Boonie-Packer HK-like sling, Meprolight night sights, green Armalite furniture, and a Redi-Mag.

It has had two barrels and thousands of rounds put through it.  Now it's back in its original svelt stock configuration and ready for more.

I guess my tastes have changed over the years.

Anybody else prefer stock AR's to "customized" ones?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer stock, but some customization is good.  A lot of things are just expensive hang-ons intended to separate us from our money.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a gadget-gun guy.  Believe firmly "The Elegance of Simplicity".

Be that as it may a better trigger is a requisite for any AR.  From there the job required dictates the accessories.

It's when I see a rifle with a 15 power scope and a flashlight co-mounted that my eyes start to roll.

I'm sure there may be real uses for the Frankengun fore-ends that are hot today but to me they look like excuses for lack of training.

Guess I just like 'em simple.

So now I sound like an elitist, AR-purist asswipe, no?

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I think having at least two of each gun is a requisite. One for stock. One for trick.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There's room for both, that's what makes ARs such a great platform.

I have one AR that has had nothing but trigger work and I have another configured as a critter gitter that has quite a bit hanging off of it{scope, bipod, cheekpiece and new pistol grip soon and a sling} but it is for function and not fashion.

Either way is great.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I keep all my AR's pretty much stock.

No nutty tac-lights/lasrer/etc.

Just a scope (ACOG on the A2, EOTech on the A3) suits me fine.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I tend to like 'em stock, but I did do a couple of mods to my new (and first) Bushy (XM15-E2S 20" HBAR): Badger Ord. Tactical Latch, Teardrop FA (I just think it looks cool),a .052 front sight pin, & Houge grip. I also have a Delta mount with a 42mm Blazer red-dot, but I like the irons better. I do plan on putting a better trigger in it, also.

So, I guess I'd have to go with customized, but I don't go for all that crap hanging off the forend.

Tony

..I'm saving up for a free-floated flattop upper to scope out.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
personally I love both looks. there is nothing like a great well thought out custom job for an ar, however the stock m16a2 look has a graceful beauty to it as well. personally I think there should be another option that says both. but if I had to choose on I would have to go with tricked out, because that is just how I like mine. of course over time my taste have changed from a 20 inch barreled scoped bipod rested ar, to a short sweet and nasty 16 inch comp m2ed collapsable but stocked and rased m4 lookalike. and I am sure that my taste will probably change again aswell. personally I just love ar's they are the holy grail of firearms to me and the on weapon that I use the most.

ps. I have many other firearms for all different purposes but for pure enjoyment of shooting the ar is what I always come back to.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Mostly stock, just swap a few parts so I have the sling, buttstock, pistol grip, trigger, fore-end/fore-grip, barrel, sights, muzzle brake/flash suppressor, and optics that I like best and are most appropriate for the intended use.  If necessary add a light for home defense, a bipod for long range, or NV for night use and I'm set.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one AR that has had nothing but trigger work and I have another configured as a critter gitter that has quite a bit hanging off of it{scope, bipod, cheekpiece and new pistol grip soon and a sling} but it is for function and not fashion.

Either way is great.

Huuusssh!!  I have one of those critter gitters but I don't want anyone to know,,,

Bad for the elitist snob reputation.

Sinful.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with both.  My Colt is a 20" A2 pre-ban that has a JP trigger and an accuwedge.  It also has a laser on the front that was given to me, but it is never used so will be removed. The only other addition I would like to make is an NVS. On the other hand, I have a real itch for another preban Colt in M4 configuration with an ACOG, Tac sling, colapsible stock, laser moved to it, possible light and a 203.  Why?  To see all the sheeple gasp and say "Is that legal?"  Heheheh.  Plus I think it would be a hoot to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Not really a question...just a reason to own more than one. RAGNAR III (1 of 5) Is tricked out, but I can change stocks, optics etc...The AR-15 is simply a fun thing to have...
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Like I said in a previous post... some people like Vanilla, and Vanilla is good. Where would we be without it? But some people like Strawberry, and you know what, Stawberry is good too!

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Those guns look awfuly LIME.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I also returned my Blue lablel beauty back to her stock self. At one time she had a Colt 4x21 scope, Harris Bipod, Ergo grip with a palm shelf, and a Black Hawk Cheek piece.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#15]
All of my guns have some customization.  If it makes things work or fit better that is a good thing.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I like mine "personalized".
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer a little customizing, but it depends on the intended use of the weapon. I fully agree with trigger work(although I havent done it to any of mine, yet)Is it for all around use? Then I think it should at least have a light on it. If its tactical, a red dot or reflex sight with a light. Long range varmint, bipod and scope. No rifle should be without at least a sling. But my 0.02 cents is worth less than that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Either way is great.

Huuusssh!!  I have one of those critter gitters but I don't want anyone to know,,,

Bad for the elitist snob reputation.

Sinful.

That's just frickin' great. My whole image of you is blown.

Do you hide the offending rifle when guests come over?
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Either Way!  This is my latest unfinished project!

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Customized, but only to a useful and necessary extent. I got a flattop so I could mount a scope on it (strike from a distance, and all that). What good is a scope if your rifle has an awful trigger? So, I got a JP single-stage trigger; it's MUCH better than stock, but still reliable. A scope can get banged around, or become otherwise unusable, so I got a folding rear sight to back it up. In case I don't need or want to use the scope, I got a set of ARMS #22 rings so I can quickly and easily ditch the scope, and still be able to re-mount it. To mount the scope as forward as I need to for my preferred cheek weld, I had to get a GG&G scout rail. That about covers the extent of the add-ons to my weapon. All of them are useful, and they all have their specific purpose.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I like mine stock, probably because I can't afford any of those cool doodads to hang off of my rifles.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I prefer the  mostly stock look. I think that all the whatzit's and gizmo's hanging off the rifle look kind of silly. The only "custom" thing on my AR is a 3-prong flash suppressor which I am busting my ass trying to remove so I can put the original back on.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Either Way!  This is my latest unfinished project!

She looks cleaner than the Girl Next Door, Troy.
Nice looking firearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top