Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 5:27:36 AM EDT
I recently started looking into getting an AR-15 and was suprised to learn how many different companys make them.  Not to mention all the differen models.  What is the difference between the different makers. (ie. colt armalite bushmaster)  It's all very confusing for me, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The cheapest one is Rock River. For the money that would be your best bet.

But I buy only Colts, so if you want the best, and
don't want your bolt to break buy a Colt.

Do a search using the search fuction with keywords like:
problems with bushmaster, Colt, Armalite, etc.
And see which brand has the most problems,
Go to the Industry forum, the link is at the top of the page. Read the threads about the problems with each.
Then make your mind up.
You will see that the end conclusion should be Rock River (cheapest and good quality)
Colt (they are just the best)
Have a good one...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Please note that people get very brand-loyal.  As strongly as Legs and others feel about Colts, there's just as many folks who feel the same way about Bushmaster or Armalite.  

If you stick with Rock River, Colt, Armalite, or Bushmaster, you probably won't get burned.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Colt (they are just the best).

Is there an icon for laughing hysterically?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#4]

The "AR" in AR-15 stands for ARmalite !!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Please note that people get very brand-loyal.  As strongly as Legs and others feel about Colts, there's just as many folks who feel the same way about Bushmaster or Armalite...snip..

I couldn't agree more, of the five AR15s that I own four of them are Bushmasters (this was no accident).
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If it's not an ArmaLite, it's just another clone.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'll second that.  Buy the Colt, you never hear of problems with Colts on here.  Bushmaster obviously has some quality control issues.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Ford is best.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, and Rock River.  Everybody usually has good things to say about each of those brands.  You probably won't go wrong with any of those.  Like eswanson said, everybody has their brand loyalties, but any of those 4 would probably serve you well.

Just take some time and read through these forums.  That is how I picked up what little (comparatively speaking) I know about ARs.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ford is best.

No, Chevy is.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, so besides the brand bias flamming - some of the other features of an AR15 you might want to consider are:

1) 16" carbine. Remember, it is only a 5.56mm cartridge. Just becuase the sights are calibrated out to 800 meters, doesn't mean the round is effective that far. Inside of 200 meters, there is little ballistic difference between carbine and rifle. but the carbine is oh so handy. You want to shoot somebody at 600-800 meters, use a 308 (or better). And a scope.

2) Flattop. This will allow you more varied sighting options than the fixed carry handle. And you can always mount a detachable carry handle if you wish.

3) M4 handguards. For improved heat disipation, but also because they feel better in my hand.

4) If its postban, go with a bare muzzle. Muzzle brakes are just plain LOUD. 5.56 recoil is negligible anyways.

5) Again, if its a postban, go with an A2 stock. The fixed telestock is, in my opinion, stupid and for posers. You'll get a better cheek weld with an A2 stock.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#13]
BUSHmaster!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Good advice M16A2Shorty!!! My RAGNAR III is a preban and I can configure it 5 different ways...gots ta have a flattop...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK, so besides the brand bias flamming - some of the other features of an AR15 you might want to consider are:

1) 16" carbine. Remember, it is only a 5.56mm cartridge. Just becuase the sights are calibrated out to 800 meters, doesn't mean the round is effective that far. Inside of 200 meters, there is little ballistic difference between carbine and rifle. but the carbine is oh so handy. You want to shoot somebody at 600-800 meters, use a 308 (or better). And a scope.

2) Flattop. This will allow you more varied sighting options than the fixed carry handle. And you can always mount a detachable carry handle if you wish.

3) M4 handguards. For improved heat disipation, but also because they feel better in my hand.

4) If its postban, go with a bare muzzle. Muzzle brakes are just plain LOUD. 5.56 recoil is negligible anyways.

5) Again, if its a postban, go with an A2 stock. The fixed telestock is, in my opinion, stupid and for posers. You'll get a better cheek weld with an A2 stock.

Excellent advice and applies to all brands.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#16]
6) Make sure you are getting a chromed bore.

If you want a 16" carbine carry-gun You may want to consider a pencil barrel for your carbine.

Also, no one mentioned DPMS. I have found their product to be of great quality. It is my preferred vendor outside of the A,B,Cs.

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
6) Make sure you are getting a chomed bore.

If you want a 16" carbine carry-gun You may want to consider a pencil barrel for your carbine.
quote]

Good point, yes, I forgot that. Definitely with the chrome lined barrel in NATO spec. More corrosion resistant and easier to clean.

The lightweight barrel is also a good idea to keep it light 'n handy.  Then again, if you want to go with the gadget craze and tack all kinds of shit on to make it a 14 pound gun, the barrel won't matter.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
1) 16" carbine.
2) Flattop.
3) M4 handguards.
4) bare muzzle.
5) A2 stock.

You are a gentleman and a scholar, which is to say this is precisely the way I bought mine.

I bought a Rock River in particular for two reasons:
1) It came with the "tactical carrying handle", an iron sight that mounted on the rail, and had a rail on top as well.  This allows you to shoot immediately while you puzzle over spending hundreds of bucks for optics. And it allows you to mount the optical device while keeping the irons sights mounted and ready to use. Yes, you'll pay extra for that sight, but a lot less than a good scope and rings.

2) The RRA had an excellent trigger pull. (Armalite was number 2, for those keeping score.)
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

1) It came with the "tactical carrying handle", an iron sight that mounted on the rail, and had a rail on top as well.  This allows you to shoot immediately while you puzzle over spending hundreds of bucks for optics. And it allows you to mount the optical device while keeping the irons sights mounted and ready to use. Yes, you'll pay extra for that sight, but a lot less than a good scope and rings.

2) The RRA had an excellent trigger pull. (Armalite was number 2, for those keeping score.)

Can you provide a link to that upper for everyone?

edited to add:
www.rockriverarms.com/upper_receiver_&_related.htm

One of these? Im having a hard time picturing what you were explaining in your post.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#21]
What, no DPMS fans?  There are many other excellent choices, but many of them are expensive as hell.

Stay away from Lucas ARs
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Also, no one mentioned DPMS. I have found their product to be of great quality. It is my preferred vendor outside of the A,B,Cs.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Colt (they are just the best).

Is there an icon for laughing hysterically?

Try this one!

Colt.....Armalite
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#24]
First of all welcome and yes it is confusing but you need to think of what you want it for. How much you want to spend? Do you want to build it yourself? You could put together anything you desire.

I have a Bushmaster 20 flattop. I have tried all different brands and types. The main thing when you get one you will want another and another. Think of this Protection,Competition or just plinking.

The only thing I suggest is get the Flat-top this way you have a good platform for anything you want. I like Bushmaster but I know all the other companies are top notch. Has far has I know they all stand behind their product. So good luck and if your in NY I would let you try my AR if you want.

The only other thing I suggest you look into the 2002 LEGP they sell here. I say one the 2001 and 2002 this weekend. They are well put togethre units and very accurate. Also check out the Equipmnent Exchange here.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#25]
The 2002 LEGP  would be a fantastic way to get started but Marc is correct, once you have one you will want to have all the variations.  It's a beautiful obsession.  good luck and welcome!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top