Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2002 8:11:41 PM EDT
does anyone have plans for a smoothbore cannon out there?

i am looking for a black powder cannon that can shoot beer can sized objects out to about 200 yds.  i would like to make "beer can" canister and a solid round made of a beer can filled with concrete.  the plans should be made of normal heavy walled pipe with a RF flange for the breach plug???  

thanks  
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
308wood,

Well, it's obvious you've never read Pat McManus's definitive work on black powder cannons, "Poof, No Eyebrows."

In it he explains how common sewer pipe can be substituted for the more expensive hardened steel.

Good luck on your project!

NMSight

Oh yeah, edited just in case anyone takes this seriously..... Don't Do This!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:29:05 AM EDT
[#2]
i have a set of plans i got from Dixie Gun Works about 20 years ago, they are for a full sized 12 pounder, but a friend & i started making one 1/4 scale, i moved away b4 finishing, but he sent me photos of it & he done a great job......, took him 6 year to finish it.....

my cannon is a 1" bore replica of a keel boat gun, weighs about 75 lbs. & is made from a railroad car axle..... pretty accurate shooter too !!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:30:46 AM EDT
[#3]
You need to watch "junkyard wars". I saw them build a black powder cannon using HIGH PRESSURE steam pipe. The team that won used black powder, the other team used smokless...ha ha ha theirs blew itself apart. Oh and they were practically in a 'bunker' when they fired them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#4]
What exactly are the laws regardig large diameter smooth bore muzzle loading cannons?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
A little bird told me that you can go buy a T-Post driver from your local AG store and its bore is the diameter of a coke can. It has thick walled heavy metal construction.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A little bird told me that you can go buy a T-Post driver from your local AG store and its bore is the diameter of a coke can. It has thick walled heavy metal construction.

oh, man!!!
that is what i am talking about.
don't worry,  i will stand behind a tree when i fire it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In it he explains how common sewer pipe can be substituted for the more expensive hardened steel.

Good luck on your project!

NMSight

Oh yeah, edited just in case anyone takes this seriously..... Don't Do This!!!!!

Yeah, the problem with using steel water pipe is that the cannon really starts to resemble a pipe bomb, especially with a fast powder...
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
i want to build a cannon that uses pulled 20mmm vulcan projectiles. :)
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there a forum for muzzle loading cannons that anyone knows of?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you considered potatoes?  I understand they taste pretty good too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
does anyone have plans for a smoothbore cannon out there?

i am looking for a black powder cannon that can shoot beer can sized objects out to about 200 yds.  i would like to make "beer can" canister and a solid round made of a beer can filled with concrete.  the plans should be made of normal heavy walled pipe with a RF flange for the breach plug???  

thanks  

How about make ones that can also fire commercial fireworks arial shells for some fourth of july celebration? (You CAN make one, but I wouldnt advise it because its kinda hard to, and if its not made right and the shell hangs up in the cannon, RUN!!! Also check your state/local laws before making fireworks... while theres not a federal law I know of preventing you from making fireworks (as long as you dont sell it) many state/cities have laws against it)

Like make one that is 1.75 inches in diameter so you can fire those dinky little 1.75 inch shells you get at firework stores... or 3 inch ones so you can fire 3 inch shells... (as well as projectiles...)
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

==============================================

a lyttle birdie told me those thyngs make great mortars, they can also be "welded up" & turned on a lathe & made into a decent cannon barrel, another great barrel can be made from a salvaged plastic injection mold barrel, most of mine & friends cannon projects required some expert welding & some items from "The Junk Yard".......

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What exactly are the laws regardig large diameter smooth bore muzzle loading cannons?

============================================

LAWS...?? WE DO NOT NEED EENY STEEENKING SMOOTHE BORE LAWS.., THATS WHY WE HAVE OUR CANNONZ..!!

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:16:32 PM EDT
[#15]
rahimiv,

You CAN make one, but I wouldnt advise it because its kinda hard to, and if its not made right and the shell hangs up in the cannon, RUN!!!

that is why you only use "shells" that have fuzes that only ignite from the powder/propellant charge in the mortar......
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 1:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]
A friend and me actually did the beer can mortar while we were stationed in Okinawa one time.  It was more of a drunken "hey guys, watch this" kinda thing and we used spray deoderant instead of powder.  Can was just a hair loose, which, thinking back was a good thing, but we lost a lot of velocity.  Using powder I would want to be barricaded.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Small Arms Review, March 2001 had on the cover a mortar made from an acetylene or oxygen tank that was able to shoot a bowling ball well over a half mile using a charge of black powder. (There was a brief description on page 41) Just in case you want to go big bore!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Last time I checked, beer cans were made of aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I have built many cannons. I have built them to shoot golf balls, 8 lb crusher balls from an old mine, cans filled with cement and other handy ammo. First they don't go 200 yards, they go 1000 yards and then go through a tree. So DON'T use sewer pipe. All you will be building is a BIG grenade and with that much shrapnel your going to get some one hurt.
Build it heavy, build it strong and you will have a lot of fun. It's great to see a railroad tie target disintegrate 200 yards away. Be safe and have fun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I built a smoothbore "high power" from .625 X 1.375 bushing stock. It had a 45" barrel stepped down in 3 segments, & was pressed & welded into a 1.375 X 3.0 X 10" piece at the breech end with a threaded stainless plug.Sat on a cool tripod & Fired with a #11 cap & hammer triggered by a cord ( or by hand when brave )I used .58 lead balls w/2 patches & 400 grains Pyrodex RS. I wish I had a Chrony back then, The velocity & accuracy were unbelievable.It now sits rusted beyond hope in a friends collection.
I would advise against using any pipe or other questionable materials in constructing one.A local guy here has one foot because of a poorly engineered mortar. Be safe !
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You need to watch "junkyard wars". I saw them build a black powder cannon using HIGH PRESSURE steam pipe. The team that won used black powder, the other team used smokless...ha ha ha theirs blew itself apart. Oh and they were practically in a 'bunker' when they fired them.

you need to not watch junkyard wars. most the stuff is cool on there, but the one about the canons sucks!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#23]
How about high pressure drill pipe? Anybody work in the oil fields?

If you only want 200yrd. range then commonmild steel pipe with a tsp. of gas will probably work.
We made mortars by standing a pipe with a cap upright in a 5 gal. bucket filled in with concrete. I don't think with a tsp. of gas we needed the concrete for safety but the gun did not move around when fired. This means we didn't loose "zero" once we were on target.

The above was for educational purposes only. Don't try the above at home or any place else.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#24]
wlynn5,

high pressure drill pipe, is absolutely the best, what size do you have access to ?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Sorry,I guess I wasn't clear. I was asking if anyone had anyway of getting it. I remember seeing a pile of bent drill pipe from some accident years ago when I was in LA. I thought someone out there might know of some way to get their hands on some and try it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Try this
www.cannon-mania.com
neat stuff

[edited becouse I still havent figued out how to do a link][or spell]

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I saw some show on TV where a guy has a bowling ball cannon.  He does demolition with it.  The bowling balls are very resiliant and a few shots and he can tear all sorts of thing up.  I've seen a bowling ball mortar for sale before, but I've always been a direct fire type guy, so I want a cannon.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Sorry,I guess I wasn't clear. I was asking if anyone had anyway of getting it. I remember seeing a pile of bent drill pipe from some accident years ago when I was in LA. I thought someone out there might know of some way to get their hands on some and try it.

=============================================

i would thynk that any area where drilling is being done, drill tube wud be easy to come by, check your yellow pages for "Drilling, Oil Well", also don't forget to check out those junk yards..., in fact a friend is giving me the expired STEEL O2 "E" tanks & i made some wind chimes from them, they cud be used for mortars or howitzers......
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top