Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 10:50:17 AM EDT
I want to get a .22 lr conversion for my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911A1. Any recommendations? I want a basic model. Looking for something relatively inexpensive.

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/9/2002 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I've always liked the Colt units best, because they're all steel, and I believe that most if not all of the aftermarket unit have aluminum slides.  The bad news is that I don't think Colt is currently in production.  On the other hand, I almost always see one or two used ones up for sale at local gun shows.

I'm sure that you'll get some comment on the other available units out there. I know that the Ceiner conversion setup has been very popular in recent years.  Whatever you end up with, my advise is:  shoot it a lot. You'll be amazed at what it'll do for your performance with the .45 when you go back to full power.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You could go with Ciener's kit, but it's really just a plinker.  Although, I think he came out with a slightly "higher end" unit recently.

The best one out there is the Marvel kit.  People literally win shooting competitions with these over specialty guns.  They are highly accurate yet you still have all the feel and function of your 1911.  Great training aid and cheap practice ammo.  They cost about $400.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Kimber has a nice one for 300...
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Wilson 1911 .22 conversion that functions great on my Kimber. In my opinion that .22lr conversion are just as accurate as my ruger MKII. With that said, I'm pretty sure that Ciener makes the conversions for Wilson and Kimber. I picked mine up at a gunshow for $130 used, but barely. The only downside to a 1911 conversion is .22lr is usually dirty ammo. My 1911 frame is covered in fouling after a few hundred rounds of .22 . Im looking for a Kimber 4" conversion so I can sell my 5" Wilson unit. If anyone has a 4" Kimber unit and wants to trade for a 5" Wilson unit drop me an email.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Kimber has a nice one for 300...

The Kimber unit is made by Ceiner.

I like mine.

It goes pop pop pop instead of BOOM BOOM BOOM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top