Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2002 3:37:51 PM EDT
Do I have to be a FFL or in Law Enforcement to own one ,Marked , Colt LEO M4 ? Need to know the Real Truth.
                     Thank You, Bob
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Not if it has zero preban features, IE it is ALL post ban. And of course has no select fire parts.

But do you really want to explain why you have a weapon marked "restricted" to someone who may err on the side of caution and confiscate it?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't pretend to be an expert on the LEO issue per se, but I do know that the LEO M4s that Colt puts out are 1)fitted with a bayonet lug, 2)have a screw on flash suppressor, 3) some have shorter than 16" barrels and 4) they have a collapsible stock.

So even if the LEO designation itself doesn't make the piece illegal, unless the mods to make it civlian legal were performed BEFORE you took possesion of it, you would have purchased an illegal weapon.  If BATF wanted to make an issue of it, that could be a very sticky situation
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
There are Colt M4's out there that are not Full Auto? I thought all real COLT M4's were selectable Full-Semi-Safe only?

Also ALL stamped "Colt M4" were made after the ban (1986 I believe) on full autos, so a real M4's could not be owned by civilians. Please correct me if I am wrong....

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
AA Wolf, There are LEO M4s that are semi. Colt also just came out with a postban M4 Carbine marked model.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Ahh, I did not know this. I have only seen select fire ones marked with the M4.
Thanks for the info, I will store it to memory.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt M4 (military) Safe-Semi-Full you can get one with Class 3 Transfer.  The C3 Dealer near me sold one for $5300

Colt M4A1 (civilian) safe-semi you can get one with FFL, but good luck finding a original. Marked as Colt M4 Carbine not SP1 etc...  I found a M4A1 last year for $2300.

As for the LEO marked.  If its preban(receiver w/preban parts) I beleave you can get one. But, if it is postban(receiver w/preban parts)NO GO on that. I tried to buy one and the guy told me that the new M4s are POSTBAN w/preban parts. You can get one if you are issued one by the military or your department.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 1:49:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The model you are talking about is the Colt LE6921.  This carbine is marked "Colt Law Enforcement M4" and has a 14.5" M4 barrel.  It is Semi only.  Hope this helps.

hsld.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank You All for the info.........Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top