Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2002 12:53:44 PM EDT
After some debate on the Savage Vs the 700, my next purchase is going to be a either a 10FP (tactical) or a 12FVSS (stainless)

I am going with the .308Win. I am planning to drop it into a Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stock. At this point, the optics i am thinking of is a B&L 4200 Elite 6-24x40 or
B&L 4200 Elite 4-16x50

The 10FP is matte blued with a 24" barrel
The 12FVSS is the 26" fluted stainless barrel. Both are floated.
-Given the above two choices which one would you choose and why (besides the obvious difference in finish)? Ballistically, I dont see much advantage in the 26" barrel.

The "Sharp Shooter" trigger is an extra $95. Anyone have experience with this trigger mod?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 10FP w/ Leupold 3x-9x vx-2 40mm obj.  This is my first scoped rifle and I can hold MOA at a hundred easy.  At 200yrds. with heavy mirage (warm so. cal. day) got 2 1/4in.-2 1/2in. groups, and my aiming point (1moa orange dot) was moving like a hula dancer on a caffeine overdose!  With a better shooter, it would certainly do better.  Check out snipers hide and do a search, lots of info on the Savage.  SSS trigger is my next upgrade as most reports are positive.  You could also check out Timmney.  I have no expierience with the 12FVSS, but have heard good reports.  If it has the laminate stock (major upgrade to the 10FP), it should do as well or better than the 10FP. Sorry the post is so long. HTH
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the older Savage 110FP in .223 (when they first came out, all were built on long actions to keep cost down) and the 10FP in .308.  Both shoot WELL under 1" at 100 yards, in fact, the .223 is at .5" when I am having a good day.  Both have cheap BSA scopes and so far, I have found no need to upgrade the scopes, but someday I am sure I will.  I have put the .223 in a Ultimate Sniper stock as well but decided not to do so yet with the .308.

In fact, my 10FP in .308 is sooooo good, I have yet to scope my FN Special Police in .308.  I doubt that when I do it will shoot "a lot" better than my Savage which was half the cost.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have no expierience with the 12FVSS, but have heard good reports.  If it has the laminate stock (major upgrade to the 10FP), it should do as well or better than the 10FP. Sorry the post is so long. HTH

Thanks for your input.

I think the 12FVSS also has the same synthetic stock.
www.savagearms.com/centerfire/varmint/12fvss.htm
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have put the .223 in a Ultimate Sniper stock as well but decided not to do so yet with the .308.

Do you like the Choate US stock?? How is the fit and function?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]

B&L 4200 Elite 4-16x50

An excellent choice.  I've got one one my 110FP and couldn't be happier with it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I don`t mean to highjack your thread boomholzer but I was wondering if any of you have looked at the 11FC? I like the detachable mag, it makes it look evil. I have been thinking about a .308 and this one catches my eye. Anyone have thoughts on this model?

www.savagearms.com/centerfire/hunter/11fc.htm
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don`t mean to highjack your thread boomholzer but I was wondering if any of you have looked at the 11FC? I like the detachable mag, it makes it look evil. I have been thinking about a .308 and this one catches my eye. Anyone have thoughts on this model?

www.savagearms.com/centerfire/hunter/11fc.htm

I priced the 11Fs and they are under $400. I dont know on the 11FC.
Personally, im not interested in the iron sites.
I dont care for the box mag either. I like the flush floorplate for bench shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top