Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2002 11:44:56 AM EDT
I found a couple of rifles at a local business that i am interested in.

I have been wanting an HK91.  But i am not wanting to spend that kind of money.  At a local business, they have 2 manufacturers with similar rifles to the HK 91.  They have a Cetme rifle and a Sporter HK G3 rifle.  

Wich is better?  Will either except HK 91 mags?  Accuracy?  Dependability?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Who makes the Sporter model? I have a Federal G3 & it takes the 91 mags. Avoid anything by Hesse. The Cetme's are so-so, from what I hear. Always have someone you trust & **really** knows these rifles check them out before you buy.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Those are a real crap shoot. Usually you get either a keeper or a dog right from the get go, no in between.
  If you buy one, before you leave the store make sure you can charge the rifle with the cocking handle and that the trigger pack doesn't fall out when you do. Take it to the range and see if the sights are on. Some of these are so far out of alignment when assembled that you can't adjust in enough windage to get on paper.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not sure who the manufacturer is of the "sporter G3".  I can tell you that it is more expensive than the Cetme model.  I think they are asking like $459 for the "sporter G3".  I believe it would be a nice rifle to have as long as it functions good and is accurate.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am not sure who the manufacturer is of the "sporter G3".  

Next time look on the side of the receiver & see who made it. There are brands to avoid.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
There are only 3 receivers made that are being build into G3 clones. Hesse, FAC, and CAI. The one with the least problems is the FAC, it is made from aluminum and does not look correct. Springfield bought a bunch of these receivers to finish thier parts kits with.
Hesse, They are no longer making any G3/CETME receiver at this time they were stamped of light weight steel.
Special Weapons, made a cast SS receiver -  they no longer make this and sold tooling to CAI.
CAI made 2 receivers the SS cast one-  which they have stopped production on- and a stamped one. About 80%+ of all CETME/G3 clone rifles out there are made on CAI receivers.
It seems that the cast ones had their fair share of problems, ie. mag wells, mag releases, poor build etc.
The current stamped ones (I just got my CETME yesterday) are very much to spec. Just the monkeys assembling them are out of spec.
Current CETMEs cost $300 The one I have is a beautiful rifle, all parts work and welds are nicley dressed.
If you can buy one from a store where you can look at 4 or 5 before buying. Because in that bunch you will find 2 that don't look/function correctly.
PS. ALL current G3's build by CAI are on the exact same receiver as the CETMEs. The price for the G3 is about $150 more. The G3 sets that I have seen are in POOR condition, being used by African forces and had the living shit beat out of them. The CETME's across the board will be made from better kits. Only serving in Spain and Spain hasn't been in a war for a couple of decades.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#6]
My new CETME is a real keeper. I am waiting on a windage tool to site it in. It is shooting only about 1 1/2" to the left at 50 yards. I am thinking of getting the synthetic stocks set from TAPCO that are for the G# but can be converted to fit the CETME.

Go for it!
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There are only 3 receivers made that are being build into G3 clones. Hesse, FAC, and CAI

Then how did I get a Federal receiver G3?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top