Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2002 1:43:26 PM EDT
Ok a fella is selling a AR and states it says "US Property", on the reciever?  Doesnt that make it like a "US Property", magazine and illegal?

Forgive my ignorance but I have not heard of US surplus rifles of the AR veriety so doesnt it have to be US Property or something like that?

thought id ask?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Pete in NH just had a run of RRA receivers marked US Property. Not a problem unless it say's M16A whatever and US Property and it isn't a registered select fire weapon.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#2]
To my knowledge, this would likely be one of the Rock River Arms lowers that were being marked "US Property". It was more or less a gimick and nothing more. Some folks like that it says it, other folks think it is a bad idea and may be the cause of confusion. Either way, it is not illegal at all and perfectly legal to buy and sell.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
To my knowledge, this would likely be one of the Rock River Arms lowers that were being marked "US Property". It was more or less a gimick and nothing more. Some folks like that it says it, other folks think it is a bad idea and may be the cause of confusion. Either way, it is not illegal at all and perfectly legal to buy and sell.

Ah interesting. Is that why my RRA says LAR-15?  I cannot find a LAR-15 on thier web page, sure does look like one of thier CAR-15s though.  Typo?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ah interesting. Is that why my RRA says LAR-15?  I cannot find a LAR-15 on thier web page, sure does look like one of thier CAR-15s though.  Typo?

Hard to say.  I think it is because they use the same receiver to make different configs.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
mine says LAR-15 too, it's a RR NM lower from pete in NH.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Nobody but Colt can put AR15 or CAR15 on their products.  Both designations are copyrighted by Colt.  Therefor all the aftermarket people have to use some other designation for their pieces.  Rock River uses LAR 15; Bushmaster uses XM 15,  etc. etc.

Even in their catalog Rock River steers away from trouble over this by using only "pieces" of the actual designation; like CAR A2, "Standard A2" and so on.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like when Fulton Armory stamps their receivers with "US Rifle".
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Back when the US auctioned off guns they said US Government and US Property on them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nobody but Colt can put AR15 or CAR15 on their products.  Both designations are copyrighted by Colt.  

Correct, but not copyrighted; trademarked.  Major differences between the two.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Back when the US auctioned off guns they said US Government and US Property on them.

==============================================

CORRECT..!!

& let's not forget all those millions of "U.S.Property" marked 1911A1's out there......
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Over 1,000,000 SMLE Number 4 Mark Is were marked U.S. Property in WWII. Made by Savage at Chippowa Falls....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Made by Savage at Chippowa Falls....

It's Chicopee Falls and it's in Massachusetts. Savage did not move there until AFTER WWII, so the guns you're talking about would've been made by Savage in Utica, New York.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top