Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2002 7:17:30 AM EDT
are the barrels h bar or gov profile on the m16 a2 1 in 9 or 1 in 12
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The M-4. As for the M-16 it is Govt. Profile 1 in 7 twist.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
SO A MARINE CARRIES A M16A2 AND IT HAS A 20'' 1 IN 7 TWIST GOV PROFILE. RIGHT . WHAT ABOUT ARMY SOME COLT OR FN thanks will
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
all M16A2s are the same, made by FN except for some airforce models that are marked "AR-15" that have been retrofitted with A2 uppers. all new M4s are are made by colt although i have seen some old fixed handle bushmasters.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]
All M16A2's are not made by FN.
I have seen plenty of Colt made M16A2's.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All M16A2's are not made by FN.
I have seen plenty of Colt made M16A2's.

I shot both Colt and Armalite M16A2s when I was in.  It was less than a year ago that FN got the contract.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
FN got the contract for the M16A2 around 92-94 you didn't see FN rifles in the FMF until around 96 (the first one I saw was in the 3/12 armory in Okinawa, Japan in Oct 96 when doing the month BN inventory of weapons).  The army saw them allot earlier than we did though.   You still find allot Colts in the Marine Corps and a huge mix in the army of Colt, Armalite (old not new), FN and a mix of others.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#7]
STLRN - I thought that Colt was banking on getting the contract reupped for the M16A2, but it was awarded to FN instead.  That was last year, unless I am mistaken.
I could be wrong...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
They could have been trying to get the contract back, but I know that the first one I saw was in 96, and the first I heard of them getting the contract was in 94, but I have read some where it was earlier.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#9]
CAPCO of Grand Junction, CO got the contract to update old Army and USAF A1's to A2 spec.

FN A2's have been around since 1988. If I remember correctly the USMC didn't buy/receive any of the FN units till late 1994/95. Majority of the A2's in service will be Colt marked as the FN contract was limited #/duration, though it is not uncommon to have entire units armed with FN or Colt only rifles.

The USAF bought a limited # of FN A2's then decided it was more cost effective to update the Old M16 rifles with new parts.  The US Army joined with the USAF and shopped the project out to several vendors.  The finalists were Colt, FN, SACO(Colt owned at the time) and CAPCO. CAPCO was the lowest bidder and they are currently in the process of updating the older A1's in stock.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Speaking of what the US uses. Pick up a copy of the Fall 2002 Special Weapons Magazine...There is a great read in there telling about ALL the weapons being used in the sand post 9-11 by our troups. Even gives you the spec's..
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Speaking of what the US uses. Pick up a copy of the Fall 2002 Special Weapons Magazine...There is a great read in there telling about ALL the weapons being used in the sand post 9-11 by our troups. Even gives you the spec's..

Yeah I picked that up. Good reading. Wish it was published a little better. Like with color photos and the like though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I picked that up. Good reading. Wish it was published a little better. Like with color photos and the like though.

You know, I was thinking the same thing...at 6 or 7 bucks a magazine!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top