Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2002 8:48:18 PM EDT
I have seen many ads with G3 rifles built on US recievers.  Does anyone out there have experience with these rifles?  Which recievers are the best?

I know that SOG has the CETME rifles for a low price but I like the HK look.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Well since the receiver is made and assembled by Century Arms your guess is as good as mine , time will tell ; most likely they'll be the same as their Cetme ... hit or miss on quality .
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The HK clone rifles are a hit and miss. It depends on a couple of factors. The type of receiver (steel or aluminium) and the manufactors or gunsmiths whom built the rifle. The best clone receivers are the FMP made stamped steel receivers. The aluminium receivers are known to a bit problematic. Headspacing and ability to use certain HK common parts are known issues. In addition, the fit and finish on the aluminium receiver are a bit disappointing to my tastes. The big advice I can say: Stay away from Special Weapons HK clones. They are going to require a lot of corrections before it gets bug free. A good post ban HK clones are the ones built by HK gunsmiths that know what they are doing. You can go to: www.hkweaponsystems.com for more info.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Century G3 with the stainless steel receiver. The welding's a little sloppy but it functions fine so far. After around 200 rounds I've had only 1 failure to eject. Shooting about 2 moa. For the money, I'm happy. But this thing KICKS!
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeez.  The rebuilt FALs from DSA, Century, Enterprise etc are bad enough.  The G-3s are WORSE.  Look at the quality names involved.  Hesse and so fort.  Don't walk.  RUN.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a rebuilt G3 with a Federal aluminum receiver. So far not a single problem with it. It came already equipped with a picitiney (sp?) top rail for a scope mount. I did put a Nikon Buckmaster 4X on it.

As the other say, quality on most brands are hit & miss. I had a Century L1A1 that I liked except for the GD gas adjust & that was a design defect, not brand.  >gg<

If at all possible, have someone who really knows these rifles look them over before you buy one. And make sure he knows THOSE rifles, not just guns in general.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually, the aluminum ugly receiver ones seem to work the best. The big problem I have with Century stuff is that they are like a new company building cars. Except, they use salvage yard parts to make em. There are some jewels and some lemons. My experience with them says 60% lemons. Right now, the best quality made semi auto rifles for the money, made in a plant with over 100 years experience, using new parts, is the Saiga line. I know they are sporters and have low mag capacities. But they are truely mil spec tough, accurate, and very easy on the pocket. They are easy to scope and give a lot of variation in calibers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top