Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2002 10:05:16 AM EDT
Enterprise Arms has them.
What do you guys thinks about these rifles.
How's the reliability with them. Are there any problems I should know about.
We have a big gun show here in Dallas next week
and I'm a kid in a candy store wondering which gun to buy next.

This one has peaked my interest.
www.entreprise.com/Fal/carbine.htm

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know much about Entreprise products. If I was going to get an FAL, I'd go with either DSA or buy a kit and a receiver and build one myself.

Check out The Falfiles. A lotta knowledgeable FAL folks over there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#3]
...and if ya decide to build one, I highly recommend Gunplumber's Workbook and Video combo that can be purchased at www.gunthings.com.

I'm building one and docummenting all the trials and tribulations (nothing major so far) of the adventure at bandito.50megs.com/fal/main.html.

I've always wanted a semi-auto .308 rifle and feel the FN/FAL should work out nicely. IMO it's the next best thing to a Garand..

Rick
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Legs,  depends on how much you want to pay.
Go ARS from Gunplumber, or order directly from DSA if you have the $$$.   DSA kit and receiver and parts are little less $$$ to go to.  My ARS-built FAL is just damn nice.  Did you have a chance to shoot mine yet at ETH's farm?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Legs,  depends on how much you want to pay.
Go ARS from Gunplumber, or order directly from DSA if you have the $$$.   DSA kit and receiver and parts are little less $$$ to go to.  My ARS-built FAL is just damn nice.  Did you have a chance to shoot mine yet at ETH's farm?

I didn't get a chance to shoot the FAl, I was
to gaga over the M16. Check your IM, I'll send
my number to ya so we can talk about the FAL.
I have misplaced your number somewhere.

Thanks for the links Jarhead_22, raf,and Bandito.
Thats some good info.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 16" home built R1A1 on a Imbel receiver. I love it !! If you take the home built route, buy 2 kits, use the 2nd for spare parts. They are as accurate(with a new barrel) as a box stock M1A and alot cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Take a look at the 'spambo' topic on the DS Arms STG58.

That rifle has used parts but is built on a DSA receiver*.  Last I checked, dealer cost on the rifle was about $800 plus shipping and the carbine about $850.00 plus shipping - pretty good values for a factory produced FAL.

*Most people want the Type II receiver but unless you're going to to use the weapon as a SAW the Type I is just as good and usually more readily available.
------------------------------------------------

Just a personal opinion.  When it comes to the FAL, I won't buy below the DSA STG58.  I know there are probably millions of people who buy Ugandan receivers and Frog barrels that shoot 1" groups at 2000 yards and funtion with 100% reliability down to 200 feet but I've not met any of those FAL's in person.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]
The only FAL rifles that I would buy come from the following:

Arizonia Expert Arms.
Arizonia Response Systems
DSA Inc.

Go here and research your future purchase.
www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php

The FAL is a must have rifle for anyone who loves evil black rilfes!

****note this is not my rifle.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
While it is an echo, maybe I will help pound the point in....

ARS  

DSA

ANYTHING less is uncivilized. I bought my first one (DSA). She is an artwork unto herself. I bought some (US)parts from ARS for the one I built.

Building is as great as AR building, harder but easier(??). FAL is a truly awesome shooting platform.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an Entreprise govt. model FAL. I have heard certain gunsmiths do not like the receiver, but since I bought mine assembled at the factory, this is not an issue for me. The major complaint is Entreprise counts the floorplate and follower in the US parts count, which means you cannot use standard 20-round mags unless you replace two additional parts with US built parts. I swapped out the cocking handle and pistol grip, but you can replace the pistol grip and buttstock if you like.

Given the cost of these additional parts, in the end it's probably cheaper to go with DSA.

If you go with a carbine, make sure the factory enlarges the gas hole. The standard hole is tuned for the 21" barrel and you need a slightly larger hole for carbines.

ARS is probably the best as far as quality and finish. I also have two ARS carbines that are absolutely beautiful.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
ILL - if you don't find exactly what you want from DSA or want a custom build or want to build your own and want a zinc or manganese park or blueing or whatever, I am friends with a guy on the FAL boards and he is the shit as far as FAL guys go.  Helluva nice guy too.  You should see his latest pig hunting rig - everything perfect - green furniture with GEN III night vision scope...... drool........

email me at ar15fan.net (home) if you want his contact info.

While you're at it, you need to hop on the AIM Surplus train for ammo - $139.50 per crated, battle packed 1,000 rnd case - free shipping!!!  Good quality Portugese '80's surplus.  Crates arrived in perfect condition.

198.63.62.70/acatalog/AIM_Rifle_Ammunition_8.html

I don't even own a .308, but I bought two cases... I'll own one some day!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Tate, are you talking about Mr. Kline?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Correct.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Roll your own
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]
The FAL is a great rifle. Accurate and totally reliable once the gas system is dialed in. I've got a century L1A1 that I'll put up against any other. This gun has been totally reliable and very accurate (1.5-2.5 groups @100 yards).

Its not as pretty as a DSA (a great rifle), but was substatially cheaper with the same level of performance.

Century quality can be hit or miss but if you've got the chance to look the rifle over before buying and preferably shoot it first, they can be the best buy on the FAL pattern rifle.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#18]
The average FAL won't shoot as accurately as an AR but they're a classic.  You've got to really look over the rifles you can buy these days because of the used parts and the spotty quality of the new parts.  Don't believe the guys who say they use the original prints.  Your best defense is a teardown inspection.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Right behind the AR-15 as my favorite is the FN-FAL.  I have a small family of pre-ban AR-15s, and it is now time to work on the FALs.  I have my first pre-ban FAL coming this week.  

The great thing about FALs is that it is configurable to your tastes (definitely not as much as the AR but more so than other widely available military rifles).  Plus, it is a thumper of a round, and has good ergonomics.  Finally, mags are cheap, cheap, cheap.  

IMHO, quality of DSA is hard to beat.  These will run anywhere from $900 - $1300ish, with STGs being on the lower end and the SA models on the higher end.  Some like to go even cheaper than $900 - if that is the case, IMBEL seems to be a good choice.  Pre-bans are readily available but there is a premium for them.  Belgium FALs will be $2-3k, sometimes more.  Springfields are usually $1400 - 1800.

Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I have to go with DSA or A ARS , if you go the kit route stay away from any WAC Combat Elite receivers you may find on Ebay unless you like 308 powered hand granades ! Try to get an Imber receiver (Long wait) or an Enterprise one .
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#21]

ARS 16", Manganese Phosphate
www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

I think I like this one.
After hearing from you guys and talking to mojo,
Im going with the ARS.
I'll be putting a rail system on it as well.
thanks for all your replies !
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an entreprise, a target model, it was my first FAL, so maybe i screwed up. I like it well enuf except that the factory trigger sucks and i cannot get any decent accuracy with it. I do OK with my bro's M1A and i shoot the same ammo through the FAL as we do with the M1A. maybe its the trigger or maybe i have a flawed product, i suppose i need to find out. as far as finish and function and what not I have a hard time finding any other faults with it. Besides, even with those faults i have to say i really like anyway. Just FYI, u know?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Not a top cover rail system - right??????
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Good lookin' kid...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:32:15 AM EDT
[#25]
For what it's worth, I'd suggest an 18" barrel on the FAL especially with a muzzle brake attached.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#26]
ilikelegs,

You may want to go to the DSArms website and check out the magazine articles section both Gun Test and Soldier of Fortune refer to the Enterprise receiver and talk about how the DSA receiver is superior to the Enterpirse receiver.

I own 2 DSA rifles and I'm very impressed with DSA's product and their and their outstanding customer service.  Here's a pic of my DSA STG58A with 18", short STG muzzle brake, and synthetic handguards:

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Not a top cover rail system - right??????

I'd like a rail system for the top cover and on the barrel.

Quoted:
For what it's worth, I'd suggest an 18" barrel on the FAL especially with a muzzle brake attached.

Regards,
Gary

I was thinking 16" with no muzzel brake.
I like to bump fire, and this would restrict my
ability to do this, maybe.

USMC03
Im definatly not going with the Enterprise system now. ARS or DSA. Probably ARS since mojo
had his done there and knows them. I will be looking at the
next gunshow here in Dallas next weekend as well.
thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#28]
The only two companies I would deal with are Arizona Expert Arms and DSA.  I have an STG58 kit build from AzEx that is very well done, a top notch finish an an excellent shooter.

If you're gonna roll your own, make sure you get all the proper tools, including a proper receiver wrench and barrel vise, a barrel shoulder trimmer for timing the barrel, headspace guages, a MAPP gas torch, etc., etc.  Some guys try to build them with a "hammer and a pair of pliers", and I think that's a mistake.

Here's the AzEx build that I own:

Link Posted: 7/8/2002 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#29]
DSA Stg58A.

Dealer price - $799. (A friendly FFl will give you this price, if you give him a $75 transfer fee)

Worth a grand. Easy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top