Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2002 7:48:27 AM EDT
There is an article in the current issue of VarmintHunter's club magazine about hunting primates in Africa.  The author uses a 6.5mm rifle built on a Rem 700 action but doesn't say exactly what round it shoots.  Figured some of you 6.5mm bolt action shooters might know.
What are the most popular 6.5mm calibers for varmint hunting?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know any of my varmint hunting buddies who use the .264 in any configuration. Most here use the .223 or 22-250 but we don't have the flatlands or prarie dogs. I use a 22BR and a .17Rem mostly, occasionally I'll take my .223.

Quite a few of the competetive shooters that I know are going to the .264 in the .260 Remington or the 6.5-06 for 1000 yard shooting. I gave thought to a 6.5-284 but barrel life of the hot rods tends to scare me away.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to have to check out that article; I like 6.5mm bullets. Very versitle and accurate. This is my favorite: Swedish 6.5x55 with a 160gr. Hornady Round-nose. Tremendous penetration. My Dad shot a monster (450lb) black bear with this same round. The bear was shot straight on through the chest, and the bullet traveled the full length, exiting the rump. Needless to say, a very dead bear!

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Dont post image to villagephoto or whatever.... if your isp has given you webspace use it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top