Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2002 10:33:05 PM EDT
In the movie black hawk down the skinnies were inflicting some serious damage upon our guys with there RPGs (or so it seemed in the movie) but I only saw the somalians with the RPGs does the american military use any sort of shoulder fired rockets or anything along those lines?

anyone got any pics of what they look like or what they shoot?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
ours are way better. none were used in that movie, but we have quite the arsenal. im no expert, but i will give you a little

AT-4 tube launched anti tank rocket.

my cousin operates the dragon. its a TOW guided anti armor missle. i think its anti armot anyhow.

we also have one more suited for anti personal. it was used in afganastan. it was great to watch the vids. those towelpeople didnt stand a chance.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
here are some pics

dragon, not exactlly a shoulder fired weapon i guess

securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1000/1064.htm

here is an AT-4

securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/0900/997.htm

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]
geez that AT4 looks like it would weigh a ton, pain in the ass to carry but when the shooting starts you would be glad to have it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
SMAW:

Scott

Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
cool picture the guy in the very back looks like he is scarred.

I like your sig line too I was cracking up when I was watching that episode the anti gunners didn't think it was very funny
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The SMAW is supposed to be one of the loudest weapons in the world. The guy in back just likes having the ability to hear.

The RP's started as light anti-tank anti personnel weapons. They are not really anti-tank weapons anymore.

The US has used at various times

90 mm Recoiless Rifle
M-79/M-203
LAW Rocket
AT-4
Dragon

In a similar role
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]
if youve been near a SMAW youd be scared too. has to be the single loudest weapon ever. devestatingly, painfully loud.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
oly beat me by 3 seconds while i was typing  HAHAHA
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
How loud are the smaller ones like AT-4's?
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Sir, If I recall, Grimes used an M203 on one of the machine gun on the rear of one of the Somali "technicals" and another Ranger used a LAW at a "technical" that was passing in the street.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Bs...take a closer look...i was screaming the same thing...but i saw one soldier fire a "LAWS" rocket,he scored a direct hit.

He hit one of those .50 cal SOB's....but ...correct me if i'm wrong.

Snide

PS,we won't be afraid of some Arkansas White Boys...remember that!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:38:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Neither the Mk153 Mod 0 nor the AT-4 are "rocket launchers."  Both are recoilless weapons.  Because of the amount of exhaust shot out the back of the launcher to negate recoil, they are very loud and that exhaust have a tendency to pick up loose debris.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#13]
The TOW2 is a wonderful weapon with great night optics. But it's not shoulder fired and its not man portable for very far. Although more than one brand new LT has tried to have his anti-armor element hump a TOW2 system.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#14]
During the movie, they Rangers carried and used LAW rockets with them. They are lightwight disposable tubes. I've heard that they are so light that some of the soldiers forget they have them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Uh, both the AT4 and SMAW are "rocket launchers".  The rounds are self propelled, hence rockets.  The exhaust of the rocket is vented out the rear of the tube, and yes they are loud as hell.  The manual for the SMAW even refers to rockets.  (As an aside, I hated working on SMAWs.  They were far from "grunt proof".)
A "recoilless" weapon is one that uses a round similar in design to a conventional artillery round (much smaller though). Gas is vented out of the breach to attenuate recoil.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually in BHD one of the Rangers fires a L.A.W. into a "technical" as it goes past.

Lightfighter...out!
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#18]
A rocket has some type of propulsion on the round that burns in flight for some time after launch, both the AT4 and SMAW don't have any power in flight, all the propellant is burnt in the tube, (creating the gas the negates recoil) that is why they are classified as recoilless weapons.  They are some times called "rockets" because of the passing of the 90mm and 106mm RR, most no longer can tell the difference.

A synapsis of the AT-4, "The recoilless rifle design permits accurate delivery of an 84mm High Explosive Anti-Armor warhead, with negligible recoil. The M136 AT4 is a lightweight, self-contained, antiarmor weapon consisting of a free-flight, fin-stabilized, rocket-type cartridge packed in an expendable, one-piece, fiberglass-wrapped tube."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top