Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2002 10:15:06 PM EDT
I have a Bushy CAR with a heavy barrel.I was wondering if I sent it to Bushmaster to have this done would they have to completley take the barrel off the upper?Any idea how much this cost?Think its worth it?

Possibly another solution?The gun is just so front heavy.I bought this weapon before the ban and it has a real light(cheap)2 position stock(open-closed)its plastic and rattles around seems just flimsy can't imagine its USGI issue?(familiar with this stock?)Anyhow was I was wondering if the new ribbed 4-6 position stocks(RRA,Colt) are more sturdily built(perhaps alittle more weight?)and might posibly balance the weapon a little better.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Just contact Bushmaster. They most likely will recomend a barrel replacement. Just make sure you install a new Bushmaster bolt or better yet send the upper to them and tell them what you want. That is unless you have a GOOD local AR 15 gunsmith around. I have a 20" fluted weapon and I love it. My son has a disapator 16" non - fluted HBAR and there isn't much difference in weight. The big difference is how fast mine cools off compaired to his. Unreal ! Plus the fluted barrel looks way cool.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sending a 20" hbar to KKF tomorrow for a diet.  I wanted more weight reduction than just the fluting, so it's being turned and fluted.  I'm keeping the "step" profile of the hbar, just the "steps" will be smaller.  I prefer that to the A2 govt. profile because the maximum stress on the barrel when carrying, slung, ect is back by the chamber with the least being up by the muzzle.  His prices are reasonable and I'm getting exactly the barrel profile I want!  And as sniper1az stated, much better cooling too!
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok guys, just remember that you cannot go blasting with those thin barrels . That's the current problem with the M4. After 5 mags in rapid fire, the barrels get so hot & will "plastisize". Neighbor showed me a photo of an M4 that got too hot & drooped just past the barrel nut. The bullet came out 4" from the nut. Had to remind his Sgt. to slow down the rate of fire. So NO MORE THAN 3 30 ROUND MAGS UNTIL IT COOLS OFF ! This is why I shoot a fluted HBAR.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what I was told by Bushmaster when I asked to have my 20" fluted. They say it is only done in the white part of the process. They do not take your barrel and flute it.

Like said above there are places that will do it. I have asked and was told that it is better to get a Barrel that was processed from the start for fluting. I really do not know how true that is.

Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top