Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2002 6:39:01 PM EDT
I have a hypothetical question.  
Let's say I have an AR with a cracked or bad lower receiver.  Is it "legally" possible to have that lower replaced?  I know this is a "painfull" question to ask.  I would think not but I have heard of lowers being replaced and the serial number "stays the same".
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]
No, you are screwed.  Replacements only apply to full auto M16s, and even that, I doubt, aint going to happen in Cal.  But semi-auto are defenitely aren't replaceable

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I would really recommend that you check to make sure. I think you might be able to replace it. The serial number is what's registered. No change in the serial number, how would they know if it's a replacement?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
And I also believe that some manufacturers will replace irreparable semi auto lowers. Takes a long time but it can be done (I think).
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:27:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Now I don't know what Kali's laws are specifically, but in a free state (such as Idaho) you can get a damaged semi-auto lower "re-made" with the same serial # pre or post ban.

I think it is transferrable NFA stuff that cannot be remade i.e. M16 Reg Rcvr with sear hole.  If it were an AR15 with a RDIAS then I assume it could be remade like any other lower receiver.

The place to check for your situation would be to read the text of the law on the Kali DOJ website or call the DOJ.  

Now, if you were feeling especially daring and had an out-of-state address, you could mail the said hypothetical lower from that address and complete the transaction with the manufacturer using that address.  With the same serial no. Kali wouldn't have cause to stick their noses in for a closer look once you had the lower back safe and sound.

Just my .02

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you can if the original manufacturer makes it, so, if they are still in business, contact them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
In the 4 years or so I have been on AR15.com I have seen Armalite, Colt, DPMS and Olyimpic Arms remanufacture and replace demaged semi auto lowers with new ones. In some cases, they were prebans. It can be done, I have no idea if CA has any specific laws preventing this, but in general, it can, and has been done.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Hypothetically speaking, let's say  you have a permanently damaged lower Bushmaster.  I can't see why if you sent Bushmaster the old lower and they made a new one for you with the exact serial number, why it couldn't be done.  Especially with the agreement that Bushmaster keeps the damaged one, so there is only one lower "floating" around with one particular serial number.

However...I can see a problem here in communist Kalivornia.   That being where Bushmaster says, "no, we are not allowed to ship 'new' lowers to california any longer and a replacement receiver would be considered 'newly manufactured.'

However, I think a way around this would be for you and Bushmaster to come up with an agreement that they are not sending you a "new one", its just a "repaired" lower.  Only one lower out there with one serial number.  Know what I mean?

Im calling Bushy tomorrow and asking them that.  I wonder about that same question all the time.

I know for a fact, a buddy of mine was shooting some terrible terrible "reloads" for his Hk45 USP.  Hk specifically states that the warranty for their guns is automatically void if reloads are fired in the gun resulting in damage.

Well...my buddy blew up his gun.  Specifically the frame of the pistol, which is the serialized part.  He called Hk and told them what happened and really wasn't expecting anything from Hk, because he knew it was his fault.  UNBELIEVABLY, Hk said, "send us your old frame and we'll replace it....FOR FREE!!!!"

What a company.  Not only that, they had him send the entire gun so they could test the slide and other "upper" parts.  Everything else was in perfect order, just the polymer frame was blown apart.  The gave him a new frame (lower) and used the same exact serial number.  The government (state and BATF) was never involved in the transaction.

Hk said it was a major "repair job".  

Works for me......:)
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]
RMek Glock does it all the time with their frames wether they are broken, damaged or not.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
OK!  I was just wondering.  Thanks for all the imput.!  It would be up to the manufacturer to assist in this "hypothetical" situation and hopefully all would work out.  It would be interesting to see if it could be done.  I would see no problem on my end, but leave it to the idiotic law makers in CA to make this "hypothetical" situation, a dissaster.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top