Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2002 5:37:54 AM EDT
Does anyone know if Springfield puts their model number on their M1As?  The reason I ask is I've found one with the synthetic stock in a local Mom and Pop gun shop for $1450.  They have no paperwork for it.  That's obviously way too much money for a standard model and possibly a fair price for a loaded standard model.  Any easy way to tell them apart?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#1]
No paperwork????????????

Be cautious.

You could get the serial number and call, fax or email Sprinfield Armory. I'm sure they will let you know.

I really can't imagine a reason for a new gun not to have the manual and other paperwork with it. Is it used? If so, it is worth less. Is the barrel finished in black or is it stainless?

www.springfieldarmory.com
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm more curious than anything, as I don't trust these folks.  It is supposedly an "unfired" gun.  I notice a little grime in the chamber and rub a finger against the breech, it comes out dirty with gunpowder residue.  "Don't look unfired to me," sez I.  "Probably from factory test firing," sez he.  Yeah, right.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The model number is only on the box, but you can tell the loaded from the standard by the barrel. The standard has 4 grooves, loaded 6. And the standard barrels are chrome lined, loaded are not. Also, the loaded has that .062 national match front blade, etc. Also, if the barrel is stainless, it's loaded or better.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#4]
when I bought my "loaded" at a gun show some old ex-military gun nut picked it up and said "yep this is a loaded model with NM barrell, sights, and trigger group".
I can't tell, but I guess he had looked at enough M1As that he could tell.
And yes the seller had the box with the model number and matching serial # that proved it was loaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top