User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2002 8:51:27 PM EDT
Or are they all pre-ban?

Thanks guys,
Hack
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
As I understand it, they're all pre-ban. However, do NOT take that as anything other than opinion. >gg<
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your thoughts Bob. Come on, anybody have a definative answer or know where I can get one?

Thanks,
Hack                      
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Small amount of Preban. Most are Postban. Some came with flash hider cut off at muzzle and nut welded in place. Later ones had fake flash hider/no bayo lug. Early guns had markings on top-rear of receiver. Later rifles had markings on left side of receiver. The only way to be sure (CYA) of what you had would be the original or copy of the dated receipt when first sold.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine's up for sale here with a picture:

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4459708

Post-89 ban, pre-94 ban.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Because it is an import, what matters is whether or not it is pre or post 1989.

If it came with the solid/fake FH, and no bayo lug.  IT IS DEFINATELY POST-BAN (who would put one of those on, without being forced to??)

If it has a USGI style FH, then maybe it's pre-ban, maybe it's been added illegaly....
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#6]
As I understand it. If you changed out the correct number of parts to U.S.G.I. after January of 90 (when the 89 ban took effect) you could add a bayonet lug and flash suppressor before Sept. of 94 and still be within the law. Any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mine's up for sale here with a picture:

www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4459708

Post-89 ban, pre-94 ban.

Nice gun, but I already buy way too much stuff that's made in China.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]
There was an article in the Rifleman years ago where Owen (BATF) specifically said that you had to have a US made flash suppressor on these and other imports at that time to be legal.  That was before the 94 ban and has to remain true.  I've seen lots of these rifles with flash suppressors AND bayo lugs.  BATF did a compliance inspection on me in '93 and didn't say a word about it.  They also did a serial number check and didn't say a word about rephosphating wiping out the chemical etch identification on two of them.  There's no serial number visible at all ont the rifles.  It's under the stock line.  Really wierd.  Later ones had real engraving or stamping.  

I don't think a suppressor or lug is a problem if it was present before '94.

These rifles are made from machined forgings.  They're quite nice, and can be serviced with US parts.  (Some fitting required).  
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there a place to check serial number vs date of manuf? What would one reasonably sell for, assuming post ban?

Hack
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
In order to "bypass" the '89 import rules, you have to replace enough parts with US-made parts so that the gun was no longer considered an import.  You'd still need to comply with the '94 Krime Bill, though.
-Troy

So what's your opinion Troy? If a post 89 Poly Tech M-14S is changed out to the correct number of U.S. Mfg. parts including the flash suppressor with bayonet lug prior to 9-13-94 is it legally in SAW configuration?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top