Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2002 7:16:16 PM EDT
Help!  I love my Bushy M4 but that darn Mini-Y Comp is so abusive that I can't get anybody to go shooting with me anymore (and, just to head off any smarta** replies, I DO BATHE REGULARLY!).  Yesterday, my spotter went behind the range trailer everytime I shot.  Also it is ringing my ears right through a pair of Peltor T-7s (turned off) and foam plugs. This is getting embarrassing. Does anybody know where I can get this comp replaced?  Any suggestions as to what type of comp to get?  I like the look of the regular old Colt style cage comp but don't know if one of those would be long enough to get 16" OAL bbl length.  Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Tapco sells a blast diverter just for the bushmaster.  it cost $10 and it might be worth a try at least you don't modifiy the gun.  
thank you
GL
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I was at the range last week and the guy next to me had a bushmaster 14.5 with the AK brake.  I didn't notice it being exceptionally loud.  It was louder than no brake.  I was wearing foam ear plugs.  Hope that helps
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I was in the same situation as you. Check with Pete-in-NH. He can build you a RRA upper to replace the Bushhy upper that doesn't use a muzzle brake. I loved mine (as well as my range "Nachbarn") :-)
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Tell them to grow a pair.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
"Grow a pair?"  That way of thinking will lead to a lot of macho, deaf old guys.  Your hearing is nothing to mess around with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Im the only one on this board that likes the mini Y, its really not that loud, I use hearing protection anyway, so why does it matter??

it looks a HELL of alot better than the AK brake anyway (flame away!)

When shooting with hearing protection, I cant tell any diffrence in sound with my preban w/ Birdcage fs, and the posty with the mini-y.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]

It looks a HELL of alot better than the AK brake anyway (flame away!)

Yep, that's why my wife bought it for me.  The Mini-Y comp looks REALLY cool.  It's also very, very effective at reducing recoil and muzzle rise.  A masterpiece of engineering, just too loud for me.  I've already got pretty bad tinnitus from teenage stupidity (handguns w/ no ear protection)and I'd like to be able to hear my twin girls when they holler "Daddy, Daddy, let's go shooting" in a few years.  They are only 2 years old now, so it won't be long.  BTW, both girls are already NRA members.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I completely agree with you Arkansas_Rocketman.  The mini-Y is brutal.  A buddy of mine has one and is looking into getting it cut off and replaced as well.  The difference between his 14.5" with mini-Y and my  plain end 16" is amazing to say the least.

You might want to check the manufacturers forums.  Kurt's Kustom Firearms has a section over three.  He will change out the brake for you for one of his fake flash suppressors, which look great, and without the noise.  You can check them out at their web site, it should be listed in his forum (dont have address infront of me at the moment).
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Tapco sells a blast diverter just for the bushmaster.  it cost $10 and it might be worth a try at least you don't modifiy the gun.  
thank you
GL

Garbage.  Don't waste your money on this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Or do what I do and use an AR15 with a naked muzzle...opps I said naked
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes grow a pair and wear ear protection.

Sound IMO isn't the issue on the Y-comp, it's the blowback.

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ear plugs? Muffs? and it's still too loud? Damn. I use the CavArms comp and it works great

Ha ha, he said MUFF!  I have this vision of a woman's legs wrapped around his head while he "shoots off a couple rounds!"
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#16]
SOLUTION!!!!!!! GO TO WILSONCOMBAT.COM!!!!  They have a bitchen new muzzle brake that looks almost identical to the "bird cage" style flash suppressors.  The beauty is that this new muzzle break is BATF (Burn All The Folks) legal for post ban rifles!!!!!!

Check out the photo.  Plus, It's not as loud as the Bushy mini Y-comp.

www.wilsoncombat.com/ar/muzz_break.asp
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
[urlwww.wilsoncombat.com/ar/muzz_break.asp

I'm thinking of building a post pan 14.5" upper with the AK brake, I know it's ugly but
how does it compare as far as noise & recoil with the mini Y comp ??
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
cnatra,have had both and can tell you the ak brake is very good for muzzle flip without increasing noise to the shooter.For anyone on your 3and 9 however it is brutal.The mini y comp is not too bad outside but I do atleast half my shooting at an indoor range.I fired that bushy m4 exactly 5 times through that tunnel and had a headache like you get from a liter of very cheap scotch.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
"Grow a pair?"  That way of thinking will lead to a lot of macho, deaf old guys.  Your hearing is nothing to mess around with.

What's that sonny? Can't hear ya! I sure am macho though!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#20]
With good hearing protection it shouldn't be a problem. When I shoot something abusive (HK 51K for example) I let people around me know that they might want to move back. It's not much different than being in the pits at the drag races. If you have a problem with the noise you're in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
cnatra,have had both and can tell you the ak brake is very good for muzzle flip without increasing noise to the shooter.For anyone on your 3and 9 however it is brutal.The mini y comp is not too bad outside but I do atleast half my shooting at an indoor range.I fired that bushy m4 exactly 5 times through that tunnel and had a headache like you get from a liter of very cheap scotch.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I find it some what hard to believe that it is that loud. My hearing is in good shape. I sat next to a guy last spring that had a Wby. 30-378 mag with a break. The shock almost blew me off my seat, but my muffs where enough to shelter me from the noise. I have not heard your rifle, but if it is really that bad, something must be done.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I find it some what hard to believe that it is that loud. My hearing is in good shape. I sat next to a guy last spring that had a Wby. 30-378 mag with a break. The shock almost blew me off my seat, but my muffs where enough to shelter me from the noise. I have not heard your rifle, but if it is really that bad, something must be done.

Those little mini-y's really are that loud.  The diff between the mini-y and a naked AR is staggering.  True, good hearing protection does make it bearable, but forget about ever shooting without hearing protection.  That may not be a big deal for some, but for others, it is.  Basically, the AR is a great rifle for some hunting applications, like coyote hunting.  That's something that is done around here a bit, and with the AR it's that much more fun.  But you cant hunt with ear plugs or muffs very well.

Even shooting the rifle outdoors, the min-y really does HURT you!  The one time I shot my buddy's AR outdoors with one ear not protected, I couldn't hear corretly till the next day.  It literally hurt so bad I could only get one shot off.  WIth my plain end 16", I can shoot when I need to w/o protection and not be affected by it.  I do always use hearing protection when I'm just fun shooting, but what about self defense.  If you ever thought about using youre mini-y AR for home defense, I think you'd end doing more damage to yourself than the perp, especially indoors.  I can't imagine how loud that mini-Y would be indoors.  I shot my plain end 16" from indoors once, just to see how loud it would be incase I ever had to use it I didn't want to be too surprised.  It was pretty loud, but it was managable.  The mini-y would deafen you, and probably put you on your knees indoors.

The mini-y creates a different kind of blast than a .300 winmag or 7mm mag.  I find the min-Y .223 to be more unpleasant.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#25]
sounds like a bad trade if you ask me...a bunch more noise to reduce the recoil on a weapon that doesn't have hardly any recoil to start with
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
SOLUTION!!!!!!! GO TO WILSONCOMBAT.COM!!!!  They have a bitchen new muzzle brake that looks almost identical to the "bird cage" style flash suppressors.  The beauty is that this new muzzle break is BATF (Burn All The Folks) legal for post ban rifles!!!!!!

I tried to take your advice, called Wilson (they're only about 2&1/2 hrs from here) but they said that the OAL of the bbl would not be 16" with their comp installed.  Trip to Berryville cancelled.  Thanks anyhow.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep, Kurt's right.  Get his extended A2 muzzle brake.  It will work on your 14.5" bbl.

Heck, that thing looks so nice that I just might put that on a preban 14.5" bbl.

And I've heard that Kurt does excellent work.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I have one of Kurt's brakes on an M4 and it is excellent. Noise is minimal, flash is not much more than a standard A2, and recoil is very low. By all means go with his. I also have one of Wilsons. That's why I bought one of Kurt's. IMO his is better.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
sounds like a bad trade if you ask me...a bunch more noise to reduce the recoil on a weapon that doesn't have hardly any recoil to start with

Totally agree, I have no recoil problems with my naked barrel. One more example of coolness over utility.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#30]
For the most part I agree with ECS and SS109, an AR-15 doesn't have alot of recoil to tame especially in semi-auto only.  To me any significant increase in muzzle flash and or noise isn't worth it.  On the other hand, I do think the good breaks look cool and I would be interested in one if I knew that it fit the above criteria.  
 By the way I'm saving this thread to check on breaks from some of the companies listed above, thanks for the great info.  Any testimonials regarding noise and flash would be appreciated.

Happy Birthday!!!

salute
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Uhh, it's 'brake':

Wow! It really does look like a birdcage. And the ATF approved this?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:21:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Ive had the same problem.  Cut it off and recrown!!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I had the same problem with noise and muzzle blast. If you're going to replace the mini Y anyway, try what I did and drill (ream) the "Y" holes out straight. It diverts the gases to the side instead of back at the shooter. Made a big difference. Maybe not the professional answer, but it worked for me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Wow.  They spelled it "Break" in their URL and on their section titling.

It's like when Bush says "nuk-u-ler" weapons.  You just lose that >             < much more respect each time.

Link Posted: 7/4/2002 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yep, Kurt's right.  Get his extended A2 muzzle brake.  It will work on your 14.5" bbl.

Heck, that thing looks so nice that I just might put that on a preban 14.5" bbl.

And I've heard that Kurt does excellent work.

Corey...Thanks, I'm going to send it to Kurt for his A3 TacBrake installation. He said that it will bring the bbl OAL to 16", it looks great, and his price seems very reasonable.  I really appreciate all the good advice you and the others in this thread have shared.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Ive had the same problem.  Cut it off and recrown!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top