Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2002 7:54:23 AM EDT
I only know of one company that makes pistols with Picatinny rails on the bottom for mounting lights and other goodies. SVI Gusn usedd to make a frame that had a rail built in but they seem to have stopped makng it. Anyway, Springfield amrory make sit in the form of the Operator 1911A1 (rail stnadard) and a TRP 1911A1 variant with a Rail.

Now my question is: sicne it is a Picatinny rail I could mount a forawrd grip or even one of those 500 dollar SureFire grip/light thingies, right? Now how legal is this,e sp. in Nj, I cannot find any laws contrary but am just wondering how legal and usefull/doable this is. It sounds great. Hey... two handing a gun is always good.

Doggonit

heavy.gif
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Putting a forward grip on a pistol makes it an AOW (any other weapon) and therefore you have to register it with the BATF.  I think it's a $5 tax to make an AOW.

If you put a stock on a pistol, it becomes a short barreled rifle, and that needs the SBR NFA tax stamp ($200).
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Putting a forward grip on a pistol makes it an AOW (any other weapon) and therefore you have to register it with the BATF.  I think it's a $5 tax to make an AOW.

Let me guess... If I bolt a lampshade to my 1911 it becomes an AOW and I owe the BATF 5 bucks.  Go figure.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Some models of Springfield 1911s (Operator models) have under-rails.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Beretta's new Vertec pistol has a Picatinny rail mount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top