Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2002 7:13:48 PM EDT
Well I finally got my SA-XD 40cal with green frame. I have to say I LOVE IT! It feels great in my hands and functions perfectly.

I put 100rds through it after I got it home and cleaned it. No failures of any kind and its pretty accurate.

I started out with about 6" groups when I first started shooting. As I got more use to it I got it down to 2" groups at 20yds.

If anyone out there is thinking about one of these pistols I say go for it. I like it better than my Glock 21.

And before anyone asks, no I'm not gonna sell my Glock, I have over $1700 invested in it and I would never get rid of it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish i would have bought one when it was still the HS2000 and about $200.00 cheaper!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:36:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I did get one when they were HS2000s.  I ended up selling it (I don't like polymer pistols), but it was a great gun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:44:11 AM EDT
[#3]
That is a great looking weapon, I have not yet fired one but I am very curious to try it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Who used to import/sell it before it was a Springfield Armory pistol?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Who used to import/sell it before it was a Springfield Armory pistol?

HS Arms developed and marketed it in the US before Springfield bought the rights. I picked up one for less than $250 and I like it at least as much as my Glock 19, if not more. The SA-XD in .40 cal is at the top of my want list.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I was shooting it again today. I'm just really impressed with this pistol. I know this pistol hasn't been around as long as the Glock and it hasn't had time to prove its reliability.

I wish a gun magizine would do a torture test on the SA-XD, Glock and Walther P99. I would love to see how these three pistols compare to eachother. I know the Glock has proven its reliability and ruggedness over and over again. I just want to see how these other two pistols compare to it.

Maybe someone will try this out someday.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#7]
NightHawk, click on the HS Arms website I posted above, and "In The News" at the top of the page. Gun Tests and some other gun rags ran some tests on the HS2000 and compared it with other service pistols, like the Glock and the Walther.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Big_Bear, I'll go and check em out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#9]
It seems like all the magizines that did the articals on the HS2000 were during 2000 and 2001 shortly after the pistol came out.

I believe that all the articals were even before they came out with the 2nd and 3rd generations and before they came out with the 40cal and 357sig.

I would like to see an update on how the pistol has held up over longterm use.

Also I would like to see a torture test. These articals were just about quality of the pistol and accuracy. I would like to see it go through a 10,000 rd torture test. Having it frozen in ice, dropped in mud and sand, and ran over by a truck. I know thats not asking for much..LOL

I heard that the XD pistols will fire underwater. Thats just hearsay and I wouldn't try it myself. Does anyone know this for a fact?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I have at least three recent gun rags with articles on the XD series pistol, I will check if they ran any torture tests and get back to you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey oneshot1kill, I'd appreciate any info, good or bad, that you find on this pistol.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]
My June issue of Guns magazine has a great write up about it. Pretty extensive.

I have two HS2000s. Great guns.

I was at the Pasadena (TX) show this weekend and they had a couple of XD40s there for about $346 each. Not too bad for what you get.

Remember, the 9mm version will take slightly modified mags for the Beretta, Tarus, S&W, and such. So you can actually get 15 rnd mags very cheap for it. Nice point.

Check out www.hs2000talk.com for a nice forum covering both versions (brand names) of it. have a lot of fun with your new baby. They are great.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Did they change the rear rails and make them steel (v. polymer -- a bad idea IMHO)?

I handled one and was very impressed with it.  Excellent trigger, and great ergonomics.  If it proves as durable as an early G17, I'll be all over one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Cory I was also concerned about the rear rails being polymer. I didn't know this until after the fact that I had already ordered my pistol.

When I picked it up, that was the first thing I checked. The steel rails on the XD are huge compared to the Glock rails. The XD one piece front steel rail is 1 1/4" long. The polymer rear rail is 1 3/16" long. On the Glock the front and rear rail are both 3/8" and unlike the XD there are 4 seperate rails instead of 2 one piece solid rails. The rails on the XD are also much thicker than the Glock rails. (as a note, I took these messurements while sitting here writing this)

I slid the slide on the front steel rails and moved it back until it just about touched the rear polymer rails. I then moved the slide up and down to see how much pressure was put on the rear polymer rails. It hardly moved. There is a tight tolerance between the slide and the steel rail. It doesn't really touch the polymer rails so I don't think any wear will occure. But I'll keep my eye on it as I shoot it more and let everyone know if there is any kind of wear on the rear polymer rails.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank!

Dunk it in the mud, bake it, freeze it, submerge it, run it over with your car, drop it out of an airplane, don't clean it, and after 10,000 rounds tell us how it's doing!  

So, we'll get this report after the 4th holiday?  Great!  

Seriously, I hope this gun holds up like the Glocks do.  Then I'll probably end up with at last a few.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Check out Chuck Taylors website. He did a review on this pistol and he likes it!
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 3:41:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Nighthawk- I just bought the XD9, I have never been a fan of poly pistols But after fondling this on and off for a month at my dealers I did it. I Fuxking love it! It just feels right, recoil is very mild and the trigger is fantastic. I like it more than my Sig 228 and I have yet to hear any negative press on it. At this point I have only 50 rds thru her but they have been flawless.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#19]
i have 4 HS2000's not a hiccup out of any of them. Some were thought to have weak extractors but i saw no evidence of that. SA supposedly fixed the problem. www.hs2000talk.com is a very informative site. As far as durability the HS2000 has been battle tested. Its predecessor i believe called the HS95 was the standard sidearm of the Croatian Army and Police since the early 90's. I would think a decade of use in the Balkans would be considered battle tested. Its a great weapon, it points more naturally and fits better for me than my G19. If u didnt get a chance for an HS at $250 the XD is still well worth its current price tag. Just shop around

Retrodog saw them in TX for $346 (jump on them)
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I just put 100 more thru her with 0 problems. :-)
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I think its good that they make them with a grip safety thats one thing i didn't like about the glock if you stick it in your pocket you better not have any keys or junk in there to hit the trigger.

but why no .45?
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had a XD40 for about four months now. I have put about 1400 rounds through it,factory ammo and reloads. Probably 1000 of those have been reloads everything from FMJ,JHP,and LSWC. I have never had a malfunction of any kind,that I can remember. I have never throwed it in the mud or run over it with a car, but I do know if you keep it clean,it shoots like a champ. I have found my XD40 favors Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP bullet over 6.4gr of Unique. It's the best combo I have fired yet,one 10rd mag into a ragged 1 1/2 hole at 25yds.

I have been waiting to buy a Glock in 9mm, but think I will invest in another XD 9mm instead.
Link Posted: 7/4/2002 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
You can also use the XD40 magazines on an XD9/HS2000 with no problems.  In addition, you can stack as many as 15 rnds of 9mm in the XD40 mag, but you didn't hear that from me :-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top