Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2002 12:21:56 PM EDT
Well i am going out of state to a more gun friendly state I live in CA so if I buy a gun here I have to buy a trigger lock waiting period and plus because of the new testing you cannot buy old guns because they didn't pass the test so i am having a hard time finding some used guns.

so can I go out of state buy a gun fly back in and bring it back in to CA, then register it here, and by doing this will I be doing anything illegal?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is illegal to buy in California, then it would be illegal to bring in from out of state.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#2]
the guns I would be buying would be legal to own in california, although they would be harder to find and more expensive.

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Private sales are available in every state...
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are talking about a handgun, you cannot buy one out side of your home state (California).  A private sale in another state would be illegal.  In order to purchase a rifle or shotgun from a dealer in another state, the transaction would have to be legal in both states.  Since an out of state dealer can't do a DROS transaction, California residents can't legally purchase in another state.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
so can I go out of state buy a gun fly back in and bring it back in to CA, then register it here, and by doing this will I be doing anything illegal?

California law says in order for a CA resident to legally purchase a (modern) firearm you must go through a CA FFL, do the CA background check, and wait 10 days before taking delivery.

So the only way you can purchase a firearm out of state is, if the firearm is legal to bring into CA, have it shipped to an FFL here in CA and then do all the above. Doesn't matter if private sales are legal in other states. Fed law says you must abide by your states law to be legal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to excape CA.

Once you leave, you should never go back.

I lived there all of my life.  I excaped 6 years ago.

Do not miss it a bit.

Here in Phoenix, the big Gun Show is comming on July 6-7.

There are a bunch of people walking around with stuff for sale.

Good luck.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top