Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2002 10:55:09 AM EDT
Went to a gunshow today and a dealer had new-in-box Winchester brand .223 cal 90 round drum magazines for $135. I didn't buy any but the show is on again tomorrow and I'm banking they'll still be there. I also think he would come down to $125. Is this a deal or are they junk?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Winchester brand .223 cal 90 round drum magazines?

Hey Whiskey,

What makes you think that they were mgf. by Winchester? Markings?

Or is that what the Dealer told you?

-

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what they were labeled with. I can't say if they were legit. There were no stampings that I saw.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Describe it for us.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Well they were steel, black of course. Had about a 3in extension that would fit into the mag well. The feed lip area looked unique. It appeared that the left half of the extension was blocked and that the ammo would load into the rifle on only one side (you know how a regular mag stacks the ammo in two rows, in this one the ammo would feed up thru the drum in only one row which I suppose is normal configuration for a drum). There were circular ridges on the drum itself. That's all I know how to describe it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I am aware of a 90-round from MWG, a 100-round Beta C-mag, and a 120-round Chinese. Are you sure it wasn't a mag for the SAR-3 or similar AK-47 variant chambered in .223?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe it was an MWG. I don't know why it had a sticker on it that said Winchester. It was for an AR15/M16 but I know it wasn't a Beta-C. And it was a 90 rd drum. It was no bigger than a football. I'm going to look at it better tomorrow but I won't be buying it without positive confirmation. If it's an MWG (which I know nothing about), is that good?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The MWG is plastic, and they usually go for around $150-$200 so Yes if thats what it was it would be a good deal, I hear they work good, although they are ugly.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
But these were steel. Well, I'm just going to have to look better tomorrow and clarify it. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll give 2to1 odds that it's a Chinese mfg adaptation of their .223 drum mag that they made for their AK imports in that caliber. And I'll bet that the "Winchester" is some sort of scam that the seller's trying to run. Can't comment on the AR modified Chinese units, but I can tell you that the AK built original unit I had for awhile didn't work worth a damn.  Unlike the 7.62x39 drums that were Chinese Army issue,  the .223 units were cheap commercial jobs, intended for US market.  Unless the price is so low that you can affford the gamble, I'd stay far away from this piece
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#11]
i saw the sames ones whiskey.  i'd pass on them.  i think they're converted from ak drums or something.  i saw one similar at a show a few months ago for around $90.  did you see the preban colt he had?  the SAR2's looked nice but i think $399 is too much.  overall i think all the AR mags were too expensive at the DECC show..i saw some 20rds for $20 and that was as decent as it got.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:45:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes I thought the mags were overpriced too. I saw the pre-ban. Did you see the gunsmith from Bemidji with all of the Armalite uppers? He was selling new Oly Arms lowers at dealer cost for $375. One had a serial# 000004. I'm going back today. Many times the vendors will haggle more on the last day of the show. Buy you're right, I'm going to skip the drum.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#13]
i asked about that lower, it is post ban and the cost is expensive because it's titanium.  i liked the .243 upper he had.  all nice stuff.  did you spot the illegal "preban" though?  brand new lower with early a1 upper on it...$650 is what got my attention..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top