Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2002 10:07:40 AM EDT
I am talking stockless, just the pistol grip well the other day i was shooting my 12ga with some 3"magnum 000 buck and geez thats alot to handle lets just say i think I am going to stick with the 2 3/4" loads for now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]

that gun hurt me with 4 shot. their is no good way to hold on. the pistol lenth sidebyside was worse.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am talking stockless, just the pistol grip well the other day i was shooting my 12ga with some 3"magnum 000 buck and geez thats alot to handle lets just say i think I am going to stick with the 2 3/4" loads for now.

3" magnum 000 right off the bat? Man, you are brave.  One of the companies, either Wilson or Scatter gun, have a pistol grip that looks like they took a hacksaw to a regular stock and refinished it.  I think this is suposed to be a more ergonomical grip.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:16:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

that gun hurt me with 4 shot. their is no good way to hold on. the pistol lenth sidebyside was worse.

Nevermind.  That was the grip I was talking about.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One of the companies, either Wilson or Scatter gun, have a pistol grip that looks like they took a hacksaw to a regular stock and refinished it.  I think this is suposed to be a more ergonomical grip.

i dont like it. it looks cool, but is pretty uncontrollable.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#6]

This is the shotgun I won in the most recent team member giveaway and I tried it with 3" OO XX magnums. Needless to say it now has a buttstock/pistol grip combo on it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The forend pistol grip makes them MUCH easier to shoot. on the other hand, a 20ga with a pistol grip is FUN
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I never really thought it was that bad. I've put 3" buckshot through my Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I can shoot the thing with one hand if I have my tac sling on. Sure, I wouldn't want to do that all afternoon, but it's really not as bad as you'd think.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Gotta tweak it a bit more.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I always get a kick out of the guy in Training Day sighting down the shotgun by putting the pistol grip in front of his face.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
This toy is just right...

Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#12]
When I worked in a Special Enforcement Unit, (we all drove Mustangs or Camaros) we had pistol grip 870's because they were easier to conceal in the car.  After 1 felony stop where I covered a car with the shotgun for a few minute, I traded mine in for a full-stock shotgun.  

Without a shoulder stock, that thing gets heavy very quickly if you have to hold it on target for very long.  Plus, a full-length stock is much more comfortable to shoot and easier to hit your target with.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:19:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Pistol grip shotguns, a solution to a problem that never exsisted.

Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

well i don't know about that, the problem for me is getting at a stocked shotgun while in the car or hiding a stocked shotgun in the car or carrying a shotgun in a duffle bag.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
After 1 felony stop where I covered a car with the shotgun for a few minute, I traded mine in for a full-stock shotgun.  

Without a shoulder stock, that thing gets heavy very quickly if you have to hold it on target for very long.  Plus, a full-length stock is much more comfortable to shoot and easier to hit your target with.

You sir, are a smart man changing to a full length stock...now you have an excellent chance of actually hitting what you are aiming at. Good move
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well i don't know about that, the problem for me is getting at a stocked shotgun while in the car or hiding a stocked shotgun in the car or carrying a shotgun in a duffle bag.

That's when your choice of weapon changes.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I always get a kick out of the guy in Training Day sighting down the shotgun by putting the pistol grip in front of his face.

First time I fired My Mossberg, after putting a pistol grip on it, I made that mistake. Only once. Went back in the house and put the full stock back on gun. No more problem.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#18]
How about one of these setups?

or

or

Mine looks like the first one.
Thinking of changing to a folder. Best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasted-life:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First time I fired My Mossberg, after putting a pistol grip on it, I made that mistake. Only once. Went back in the house and put the full stock back on gun. No more problem.  

Had a girlfriend do that once with my Mossberg (20" 8shot).  She ended up biting her tongue hard enuff to bleed after getting bopped in the chin.  We were only shooting cheap low brass bird shot but she was only 4'10 & +/-100# ("spinner")
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How about one of these setups?

<snip>

or

[<snip>

or

Mine looks like the first one.
Thinking of changing to a folder. Best of both worlds.

My advice is to stay away from that topfolder!  It's heavy, as it's all metal.  It's uncomfortable to fire, as it's all metal.  (That little rubber slip-on buttplate does NOTHING.)  And, it's akward to fold due to the setup and the button locking mechanism.

If you're going to do folding, get the sidefolder!

Mike
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Mattsd, I'm looking at getting an AOW shotgun like the one you're holding.  (Mossberg 590, hopefully.)  Same stock, polymer frontgrip (not vertical; flat like that one).  What type of shells were you firing out of that?  What gauge?

Thanks,

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top