Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2002 5:08:18 AM EDT
I have a Remington 700 hvy bbl in 22-250.  I want to change it to 308.  
There is the option of changing the bbl or reboring.
Has anyone here done either and who did you use?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Nick,

I think instead of reboring, you'd probably be better off buying a take-off barrel in .308.  Your gunsmith would have to reset the headspace for your action, but that's going to be a good deal cheaper than having to rechamber and rebore your current barrel.

Another option would be to buy a pre-contoured barrel, or even a bored blank, from a good barrel maker (Shilen, Douglas, Lilja, etc.) and have it chambered and contoured to your specs.  You'll end up with a great barrel, and probably still spend less (just guessing, I've never priced reboring) than doing all that work to your current barrel.  Unless you have some sentimental attachment to your current barrel, I can't see any justification to reboring it.

As to gunsmiths, it depends on your expectations.  If you're building a benchrest shooter, your choices are narrowed considerably.  Otherwise, most well-equipped shops should be able to rebarrel your action with either a take-off barrel, or an "aftermarket" barrel with good results.  I did have the name of a company that rebores and rifles barrels, and if you're set on going that direction, I'll try to find the info again.

Link Posted: 6/29/2002 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a Remington 700 hvy bbl in 22-250.  I want to change it to 308.  
There is the option of changing the bbl or reboring.
Has anyone here done either and who did you use?

The bolt face on both rounds is identical so a conversion is as easy as a barrel change. I'd suggest an aftermarket barrel for best performance. Talk to a reputable gunsmith, there are many options out there. A Brownell's catalog should list most of them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Reboring costs roughly the same as a rebarrel job. To me, reboring would only be advantageous if there were certain factory barrel markings that you wanted to preserve. At any rate, Brownell's lists some Shilen threaded factory contoured barrels for the 700 (apparently they are a new product). That should save you some money on installation. For .308 WCF the product numbers are 801-782-308 for a .308 Win 1-10 Twist Varmint Contour CM Barrel ($206.25 retail/$165 dealer) and 801-783-308 for a .308 Win 1-10 Twist Varmint Contour SS Barrel ($291.25 retail/$233 dealer). I'm assuming that the CM barrel is in the white, so figure some additional cost for bluing ($45 from Glenrock Bluing). Plan on spending around $100 or less for labor on just the installation (gets more expensive if you have a custom contour made or have the barrel made from a blank).

Here's Shilen's description of these barrels from their 'site.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks much.
Looked through Brownells a week ago and did not see the barrels that are mentioned here. I guess I'll have to give them a call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top