Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2002 11:19:17 AM EDT
I need a shotgun for my boat (marine) and am considering the Model 870 Marine Magnum.  Anyone have any comments or personal experience??

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one. It's a beautiful gun. I've only had it out shooting once. It jammed a couple of times. I also shot another 12ga of mine the same day and had a few jams with it as well. I credited the problems to the cheap shells I was using.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Go for it.  It is a nice shotgun.  It is absolutely necessary to get a Marine type shotgun for use on a boat (especially in salt water).

I guess the other two choices are the Mossberg 500 Marine and the Winchester Model 1300 Marine Magnum.  The Mossberg has the Ghost ring sites (if you get it that way) which are better than the bead sites on the Winchester, but I like the look of the Winchester better because it has a shiny nickel type finish.  The Mossberg has a rougher satin golden finish.  Pachmayr also has a great pistol grip (if you want a pistol grip) for the Winchester, which is better than the pistol grips for the Remington or the Mossberg (IMO).  The Winnie is the lightest (If my memory serves me) so you will feel the recoil more with the Winnie.

Remington is probably best all around (function), but I don't know if it is worth the extra cash as compared to either the Mossberg or the Winnie.  If it is on the boat, it ain't gonna see all that much use (probably) so you must do your own cost benefit analysis.

For the record I bought the Winnie after comparing all three.  It was $105 bucks cheaper then the Rem, $25 bucks more than the Mossberg, and I just thought it was the coolest looking (superficial, I know, but what can I say?).

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy the 870 you won't be sorry.  I have two and love them both.  Never had a failure of any kind.  Rebel
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I've had an 870 my whole life recently had it tricked at Wilson.  I even deer and bear hunted with a Remington 760 carbine (the rifle equivelent of thr 870).  If I had my druthers I would like a less shiney (more tactical matte finish) but I need the anti-corrosiveness for the salt water and guess that will have to accept a shiney/flashy gun.  

I just haven't seen one - how bad uh... shiney is it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Beauty, eh?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]
We've got them on the boats at work and they are nice. I've got a 870 Marine Magnum at home and I've been very happy with it. I installed a Surefire forend and a Speedfeed IV stock.  One nice shotgun!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Robert, I've not used the 870, but I am sure that it is a fine weapon since it has so many devoted fans.

I can recommend the Mossy 590 Marine.  I got mine about 6 years ago, and it is magnificient.  I would absolutely bet my life on it!

I believe that nearly every branch of the fed gov has issued the 590 at some point, it will never let you down.

Regards, Pepper
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the marine magnun a few years back.  It's now my duty shotgun.  I've been through several shotgun classes with it and I've never had any problems with it.  Plus, it sure is pretty!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Its a Nickel finish, any comments on that as opposed to SS?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up an 870 MM last year, and I love it.  Looks cool, rugged as hell, shoots great every time.  I also put a Surefire light on it.  It's a beautiful gun!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Mooseberg 500 Mariner, ghost ring sights, 6 in the tube, 18 1/2 inch barrel, Choate pistol grip, Tac-Star sidesaddle shell holder, Surefire forend. Not a bad little gun.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I got one & think it's great.  
Only shot it once, functioned fine. It just made my shoulder sore.
I almost hate to shoot the thing because it looks so good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top