Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2002 4:48:22 AM EDT
Hey fellas, I am new here.  Been lurk surfing for a long time just trying to learn.  I ordered me a new one.  Thought I'd run it by the experts here to see what they thought.

RRA LE Lower, US Property marked
RRA Flat Top Upper (w/ handle/A2s for now)
M4 bbl w/ A2 hider and Bay lug - Heavy profile under handguards.
6 position stock (Green)
Hogue grip (Green)
M4 handguards (Green)

Plans for SIRS, Ops Inc. supressor,  Eotech/Aimpoint and a SWAN # 40 flip up rear to co witness the red dot.

Sound okay ?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:21:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello there "in"Sain!!!  You know me already as Geoff M from the other forum!

Rock River is good stuff.  They did take a little bit of a black eye for having a flattop rail that was a little out of spec, current production has fixed that issue.

The uppers and lowers are tight and well made with very little in terms of machine marks.  I just assembled a 20" SPR type AR rifle on a RRA lower and fire control parts, it went together perfectly and fits tight.  The finish is flat black similiar to the "good" (not purple) bushy finish, and well done.  I also have a RRA one piece scope mount, the machine work and finish is very good.  

Some of the hawgs tell me that RRA DCM barrels are very good and in use by many high power shooters, as they shoot very close to as well as much more expensive barrels, for half the price.  Is this going to be your entry weapon?  If so, you will probably want the chrome lined barrel for function reliability.  RRA just recently started producing the chrome lined ones and I haven't looked around to see if there is any feedback on them yet.  I shoot a 16" lightweight profile so the M4 thing is not an interest.

Take care Brian!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Geoff, thought I might use it for entry work as well as a backup to the bolt gun on our typical sniper deal.  In the neighborhoods and projects, our work gets close at times.  

Sometimes we will deploy a sniper with an entry element in a long school hallway or warehouse.  The bolt gun will work  -  but for me, the AR is better suited to that type of thing.

Also, when we run a dope warrant, the bad guys are pretty used to the "cop with a pistol" routine.  

Lately, every time we bring an AR, point it at 'em, and hit 'em with the Surefire, the hands go up and they literally shit their pants.  Every single time.  Has its advantages I guess.  

You'd be surprised how much a serious bad guy will tell you while handcuffed, sitting there with a load of crap in his drawers. Kind of cuts through all the macho bravado street stuff for us.  Of course, we get a rookie to transport 'em to the jail when we are done.

NOTE: Surefire stuff just friggin rocks. I have been to their basic low light gig.  Great training !  Would love to get to the Sniper one but I am just too damn poor.

Watch your six buddy,

Brian
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Geoff, thought I might use it for entry work as well as a backup to the bolt gun on our typical sniper deal.  In the neighborhoods and projects, our work gets close at times.  

Sometimes we will deploy a sniper with an entry element in a long school hallway or warehouse.  The bolt gun will work  -  but for me, the AR is better suited to that type of thing.

Also, when we run a dope warrant, the bad guys are pretty used to the "cop with a pistol" routine.  

Lately, every time we bring an AR, point it at 'em, and hit 'em with the Surefire, the hands go up and they literally shit their pants.  Every single time.  Has its advantages I guess.  

You'd be surprised how much a serious bad guy will tell you while handcuffed, sitting there with a load of crap in his drawers. Kind of cuts through all the macho bravado street stuff for us.  Of course, we get a rookie to transport 'em to the jail when we are done.

NOTE: Surefire stuff just friggin rocks. I have been to their basic low light gig.  Great training !  Would love to get to the Sniper one but I am just too damn poor.

Watch your six buddy,

Brian

Brian,
You might then want to consider having a match grade 14.5 or 16" barrel made up with a full heavy profile, and float it with the ARMS setup.  As long as you keep your weapon clean (I am relatively sure you do) you will only give up a little bit of reliability and gain accuracy.  

It's something to look into.  And a shorty upper with all the entry tricks that will consistently shoot sub MOA would be very kick ass and inspire a lot of confidence!

Dammit Mr. Sain, now you got me thinking!  I CANNOT afford another project!

My humble $.02.  
Stay safe Amigo!

(edited to add the animation)
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that gun legal for you to own?  If you know what I mean?

New rifle?  LE marked, Flash Hider, Bayonet Lug, 6 position stock?

Just wanting to clarify...
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#5]
He sounds like LEO from the talk of running dope warrants and stuff, so it ought to be fine.  

Welcome aboard, Brian.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool man.  Have fun with your new rifle!!!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Geoff, Brian.
Nice to see you guys here from the "other forum" as well.  Brian, you set sounds out-fu*#$ng-standing!  Like I said in our mails, I'm drooling now.  As far as RRA quality, the guy I got my lower from (Patrick Stanley of www.kyarms.com) shoots on the USMC res highpower team.  He told me they shoot almost (they add a Jewel trigger) stock RRA DCM rifles.  John Holliger who built my upper, uses RRA stuff and he's NRA high master.  If it's good enough for these guys, it's more than I'll ever need.
The only problem is now I want more!!!! hereLater,
Trumpet (aka Rich S)
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Rich!  It would be really cool if RRA would do up a 16" threaded barrel on one of those SS Wilson match barrels.  

Nice to see you here!  

Brian, I forgot to say, welcome!  This is a good place with good people.  You should think about posting some of your stories in the LEO forum.  You'll go over like free beer at a brothel dude!  
And don't get discouraged in the GD forum....there are a few guys that ran into the one dickhead cop on the force and now you all are gonna pay for it.
I am sure you'll let em know where it's at!  
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words.  

Forgot to mention that my new stick will also have a Surefire 900 front grip and NM trigger.

Being a sniper, I debated the match, non chrome bbl. vs. chrome lined thing for weeks.  Finally went with Pete in NHs heavy under the handguard 16 " chrome lined M4.  I live on the TX. Gulf Coast and we often practice waterborne ops so I thought I'd just go chrome lined. Pluses and minuses both ways.

A few things about cops.  Most can't afford all the toys that a lot of guys can.  They just don't have the budget.  Many cops aren't gun guys to start with and just use what they are issued.  That pistol isn't any more important to them than their ink pen (sadly) and we do a lot more writing than shooting.

Right or wrong, they often times do not get into all the ins and outs of precision weapons like the people here.

That's why I listen to the guys that are not cops.  You cant live in a vacuum and we can all learn from one another.  I didn't learn to shoot from a cop.  I learned from my Dad and uncles in the squirrel woods.  They are refinery and construction workers. Besides, I wasn't always a cop. I am a Journeyman Lineman also.

Watch your sixes fellas,

Brian

Oh, FYI, Pete in NH is cool as hell.  Nice guy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Many cops aren't gun guys to start with and just use what they are issued.  That pistol isn't any more important to them than their ink pen (sadly) and we do a lot more writing than shooting.

You'd be surprised how many LEOs show up wothout a pen. A cop w/o a pen??  

On a more serious note, your set up sounds nice. Here is mine with a new KAC FF RAS MRE, got to save for the light and aimpoint now.

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You might then want to consider having a match grade 14.5 or 16" barrel made up with a full heavy profile, and float it with the ARMS setup.

16" barrel.  The 5.56mm/.223 bullet must have velocity to be effective.  (Should have an 18" barrel for anything but CQB.)
---------------------------------------------

brianksain, are you a Law Enforcement Officer ??

I see where Torf asked the question but I don't see any answer ??
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might then want to consider having a match grade 14.5 or 16" barrel made up with a full heavy profile, and float it with the ARMS setup.

16" barrel.  The 5.56mm/.223 bullet must have velocity to be effective.  (Should have an 18" barrel for anything but CQB.)
---------------------------------------------

brianksain, are you a Law Enforcement Officer ??

I see where Torf asked the question but I don't see any answer ??

Sub, I believe he is based on this in his second post.

Geoff, thought I might use it for entry work as well as a backup to the bolt gun on our typical sniper deal. In the neighborhoods and projects, our work gets close at times.
 I was going to ask the same question until I read that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
sounds good, BOG.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
sounds good, BOG.

Can't be, can it???  Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Just be careful not to get complacent. Always expect the unexpected. I know you know, just had to reiterate it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I am a cop.  Detective.  Been at it a while.  SWAT cop for 13 years.  Sniper/Sniper Team leader the entire time.

Take care,

Brian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top