Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2002 9:26:58 PM EDT
Hi, I recently moved to Round Rock, Texas.  Where is the nearest rifle range??
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#1]
There's Red's north (used to be Cooke's Sure Shoot range) in Pflugerville on 1825. Great place to shoot, indoor with both pistol and rifle lanes, and the owner is a friendly guy. Only reason I'm there is because they're in the process of renovating Red's south off of 290 W which is closer to me.

Here's a list of a few others. Hope this helps.

www.krtraining.com/FAQs/AustinGunFAQ.HTML
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Hi there! There are a bunch of us over here at Dell, so look us up!
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm here in Round Rock, and usually head out to Eagle Peak.  It's off of 1431 out near Jonestown.  It's a little far, but it's decent.  The only things I don't like are the 'blinds' that force you to shoot off the bench, and the no FMJ rifle ammo rule.  Cook's (or Red's... I was not aware of any ownership change) in Pflugerville is nice, but I HATE indoor ranges.  Can't stand how bad my ears ring after shooting in one!

Spearweasel and I work in the same building, and there's probably at least a dozen ar15.com people in the Austin area!  

M@
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There's Red's north (used to be Cooke's Sure Shoot range) in Pflugerville on 1825. Great place to shoot, indoor with both pistol and rifle lanes, and the owner is a friendly guy. Only reason I'm there is because they're in the process of renovating Red's south off of 290 W which is closer to me.

Here's a list of a few others. Hope this helps.

www.krtraining.com/FAQs/AustinGunFAQ.HTML

When did Reds buy Cooks?  I was just out at Cooks a few weeks ago, and it was still Cooks.

Not that it matters though.  It's a great range, and the people there are pretty nice too.  

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Wish reds would open up soon, it's right around the corner and Pfugerville is too pfrickin' pfar away. I just got a couple new guns and need to warm them up so I guess I'll be seeing you guys up there anyway.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm waiting to get my M1 back from rebarreling, then I'm taking a Monday the 15th off to go to the range!  I'll be heading to Eagle Peak, and I'll take the .45 along too.

M@
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm here in Round Rock, and usually head out to Eagle Peak.  It's off of 1431 out near Jonestown.  It's a little far, but it's decent.  The only things I don't like are the 'blinds' that force you to shoot off the bench, and the no FMJ rifle ammo rule.  Cook's (or Red's... I was not aware of any ownership change) in Pflugerville is nice, but I HATE indoor ranges.  Can't stand how bad my ears ring after shooting in one!

Spearweasel and I work in the same building, and there's probably at least a dozen ar15.com people in the Austin area!  

M@

Did you change your handle?

I usually shoot either at Cooks/Red's in Pfloog, or at the ARC in Manor. It's a private range, pretty bare bones, but the price is right.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi there! There are a bunch of us over here at Dell, so look us up!

I'm in RR2E right now enjoying the fine Dell Cafateria food!  I'll email you guys to say hi.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Even though I live in Cedar Park, I usually drive into Austin to Red's, since Eagle Peak forbids FMJ from rifles, as someone mentioned.  I do some handgun shooting here in Cedar Park, though, since they don't seem to care about handguns with FMJ. Also do some blackpowder shooting here as it is an outdoor range.

There are supposed to be ranges farther out in the Hill Country (Burnet? Marble Falls?), and someday I'll try a couple of these out and see how they are.  I need a convenient place to do it all, and haven't yet found one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#10]

When did Reds buy Cooks?  I was just out at Cooks a few weeks ago, and it was still Cooks.

Within the last few weeks.  I was there 2 weeks ago to shoot one ay after work, and they were setting up merchandise.  Rifles on the walls, pistols in some cases, but almost no ammo up and only a few knick-knacks on shelves on the floor.  Red(that's the grizzly looking owner, yes?) said he had just bought it.  I dont think there was a sign over it when i was there, and i know the sign at the street said "Cooks".  

Can anyone recommend a decent pistol/rifle range in/near south Austin?  I usually go to Red's but their range has been closed for a while.

FooBarBaz
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Spearweasel, yep, I'm the board member formerly known as AR15Fencer.  Thought M1QJ fit better, given I have obtained an M1, and it is now my favorite rifle of all time!  

Neutrino, I'm in RR7.  Used to be over there in 2.  Shoot me an email sometime... the one that's listed here is good.  

:)
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I would suggest to everyone on this board to NOT go to the Cooks Sure Shot now that it is a new Reds indoor range.

Red in his infinate wisdom has just stripped the NFA owning community of Austin of a very valuable shooting resource by banning the firing of Machinguns at HIS new range.

I used to go to Cooks at least once a month since I live about 15 minutes from there. They welcomed me along with many other NFA MG owners with open arms.

However I showed up one day about three weeks ago, (apparently a day or two after Red took over) wondered what was going on since all the mechandise was gone.
I then proceeded to check as usual and offered up my Form 4 for inspection as always.  The new range officer threw a fit, went and got another employee who was also baffled at this darnfangled machinegun. He and myself then went and chatted with Red.
I was then told rudely that "YES" they were aware that Cooks allowed MG fire, but that I was "NO longer" welcome on "THEIR" range with that "submachinegun".  
NO, they would not be providing any Full Auto night. Also after my inquiring that yes indeed the Tuesday bowling pins shoots have also been canceled since there was no money in it.

Needless to say I have not been back since and will not be going back ever again.

I would encourage going to Hill Country Gun Club on Hamilton Pool road, or Tony Guns and Range on N183.  Both of these establishments are firearm bias free and you won't have to put up with the know-it-all asshole rangemaster from Reds.

I realize that alot of people might beleive (who needs a Machinegun) or (I agree they shouldn't let thoes be fired), but realize the the flawed logic of 'evil' guns vs 'good' guns means the next step is no more "assault rifles" can be shot at the range and you can only sight in your bolt action deer rifle.

For thoes whom are interested on why the change of ownership: (This is just what I have been able to piece together from talking with different people and should not be contrued as 100% fact)

The owner of Cooks is based out of Arizona and the main Cooks is located in Phoenix.  The store was sort of like a red-headed (no pun intended) stepchild for the owner. It was never was his primary focus and most of the choice guns were sold through the main Cooks in AZ. According to the staff at Cooks they basically just got the leftovers from AZ, and never had any say about what showed up at the store.  Needless to say the store was never very profitable.

Reds range South apparently is getting "Remodeled" according to Red himself.
Apparently his "remodeling" is the result of round escaping out the back of the range and into the neighborhood behind the store. The police were called and found more than acouple exit holes at the back of the building and shut the range down immediatley. (Besides who the hell "remodels" a 100 yard unpainted cinderblock building for two plus months) Sounds kind of fishy huh?

Anyway if Red is unable to reopen his range down south it looks like he bought himself an insurance policy in a new better Range up north from the previous owner whom was looking to get out of Austin. The next step was just to kick out the 'evil' firearms he apparently doesn't approve of.

Rant off

(edited for spelling)
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:45:58 AM EDT
[#13]
jbntex, were  you the bearded gentleman with an HK (.45), Vector UZI, and a 9mm AR about a month ago?  I may have struck up a conversation with you about CLEO signoff times or some such.

It's interesting what you say about no NFA stuff there.  On Red's web page, under "Facilities" they have the following statement:

"Calibers:When asked what calibers can be fired at the Range, Red usually says, "If you can shoulder it, you can shoot it."

No statements directly about full-auto fire, or anything like that.  I must admit, that kinda sucks, as I liked his south range.  No one ever gave me any flack, and you just had to put up with the RO walking around behind you.  Pretty much left you alone though.  Anything we can do about this?  Anybody have any ideas?  

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Eagle Peak too.  200 yards, nice benches,
hardly ever crouded, and some of the nicest folks as owners and customers as you could want.
And it is outdoors.  Yeah the no FMJ rifle rule, and the no rapid fire rule, can sometimes
be annoying.
I'm usually there on Sunday mornings, look for
an old, bearded, fat guy and say hi.
DanM
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Gloftoe,

I was not the bearded older gentleman you met at Reds.
(Actually I am a clean-shaven 26 year-old) Which might also help explain my treatment by Reds, since I look maybe 21 on a good day.

The Reds down south according to the Rules, will allow you to fire any weapon you can shoulder, (as long as it is not a MachineGun)

The range down south used to and potentially still might have what was called full-auto night.
(I have not been there for quite along time)

It was every Thursday evening.  The only cavets were that it had to be a pistol caliber and it had to be suppressed.

I am not a suppressor owner (and personally I really like the explosions).  Hence all of my firearm budget goes into Transferrable Machinguns at the present time.

I am always willing to help guide a fellow Austinite throught the NFA buying experience.
I was lucky and had a gentleman from Houston help me out on my first transfer, and answer alot of my "inexperienced" questions.
(I ended up buying a M11/9 from him).
I am by no means the end-all-be-all expert on NFA.  However if you have any questions about C3 dealers here in town, CLEO signoffs, ranges you can shoot at, prices, etc, feel free to email me as I have now been through two Form 4s and a Form 3.

BTY, consider yourself lucky you live in a major city with a CLEO who will sign anything, along with acouple major ranges that still allow full-auto blasting.

One word of caution thought, if you are thinking about purchasing a MG, they are the most addictive "toys" in the world.
Just about every other hobby I had has had its budget swallowed by the NFA bug. Every financial thought now makes me ask myself "will this get me closer to the next NFA purchase."

James
jnewbill(REMOVEME)@texas.net
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#16]
So whats up with the reds at oak hill? I havent shot in like 6 months and I am getting itchy trigger fingers... Is there anyone who goes to U Texas that is into guns that could help me with a ride? I have a 80% 1911 that I need to test fire.....
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey rahimiv,
Me and a couple of co workers are going shooting soon.  I'll email you when we've decide when.  Maybe we can give you a ride.  I'll email you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]
jbntex,
I called Red's today to check for range price and asked some general questions.  One question was "what can I shoot there?  Rifles and Pistols? Are there any restrictions that I should be aware of?" The answer was "you can shoot rifles and pistols, just no Machine Guns!"
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would suggest to everyone on this board to NOT go to the Cooks Sure Shot now that it is a new Reds indoor range.

Red in his infinate wisdom has just stripped the NFA owning community of Austin of a very valuable shooting resource by banning the firing of Machinguns at HIS new range.

Well, that certainly sucks. I've only had good experiences with Red's but then again I haven't had the pleasure in owning FA (jbntex, I'm green with envy). Anybody know of ranges other than Red's in south Austin? I'm already annoyed that I have to drive 45 minutes to Plugerville to get to Cooke's-now-turned-Red's just to see if my latest build works.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#20]
ANNOUNCING THE FIRST ANNUAL AR15.COM CENTRAL TEXAS SUMMER SHOOT!!

DETAILS AT home.austin.rr.com/mqj/CTSS.htm
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#21]
LonghornAr,

I would suggest going to Hill Country Gun Club on Hamiliton Pool Road.  They are listed in the phonebook and are open every day until dark/6:30 PM.

It is out Hwy 71.  Probably about 15 to 20 minutes west of South Mopac and Beecaves.

Just be warned the guy who runs the place (Kenny) is (super-tin-foil-hat) man.  
Never get into a conversation with him or he will start talking about the "communist aliens" whom live in his kitchen. Just pay him and try not to make eye contact.  

He also charges by the gun, the more exotic the gun the pricier the entrance fee.
Prices range from 5 dollars for a .22 to 10 dollars for a MG for all day access.

Other than his crazy stories/conspiracys he is a fairly nice guy. He does not care what I shoot at his place, never bothers me on the range, and will lend me the allen-wrench I always forget to bring.
The range is outdoors with a great view of the hill country and he has a whole bunch of Metal target that you can blast.

I personally get sick of punching paper, so knocking over a half-dozen metal chickens with a mag dump or driving a .308 into a metal ram at the 200 yard mark is much more satisfying.

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#22]
There may be a few DFW folks come to play with you guys.  Pick a date and place and we'll be there.

Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#23]
We put on a Tactical Carbine match every 2nd Saturday at a range in the central Texas area near Johnson city. It is only about 45 minutes to an  hours drive west of Austin. One of these matches would be a perfect way to get all the centex members together. Check it out on our webpage:
mywebpage.netscape.com/texastactical/tx.html
The link for the Carbine match is at the bottom of the main page. So how about it y'all?
We would love to have ya!

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Our next Tactical Carbine match is Saturday July 13th!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top