Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2002 7:56:27 PM EDT
I use Kleen Bore copper cutter solvent to remove copper fouling from my bores about every 3rd or 4th cleaning.  I'm wondering if it would be okay to use as a general cleaner every time I clean the barrel, since it cuts copper and fouling better than Hoppes#9. Or is this too strong and going to hurt the barrel after prolonged use? Probably a stupid question, but though i'd ask just in case.

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello.

I've seen comment on using copper cutter extensively on your rifle (aka. overcleaning?) on the Maryland AR15 shooter's site and it stated that you should only use it every 2k rounds or so.

For me, I have never used it. I think regular solvents are adequate for removing most of foreign materials.

I'm sure more firearm veterans on this board will answer your question more thoroughly.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]

wyth a chrome bore............., why worry ?
when the accuracy starts to deteriorate, clean it !

unless of course you are a serious benchrest shooter..., they are so paranoid they try cleaning the bore as the bullet is traveling down it............
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I use hoppes bench rest all the time.....it is recommended by some of the custom builders.....don`t know if it is as strong as kleenbore...but it is a copper solvent....I just make sure that there is a light oil coating afterwards...like 3in1  or some other good quality oil....hvac gauge oil or similar............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top