Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2002 5:05:33 PM EDT
Hey, I'm looking at buying a used DPMS stainless steel fluted upper.  Estimated rounds through the barrel is 200 and it also has the raised weaver rail.  It also has the chromed bolt and such.  Looks like its in great condition.

What would you pay for this complete upper?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been told by knowledgable folks to avoid the chrome bolt carriers. Too much wear on the upper, they say.

IMO, I would pass on this one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have extra bolt/carriers, I'm looking for an estimated value which takes into consideration that it is a complete upper, which is why I mentioned the bolt.  I'd ebay the chromed bolt, but I really need the value, or what you all would pay?

Would $375 be fair or do you think he'd bitch?

Anyone else venture an ESTIMATE?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd agree that $375 is a fair price. Check Shotgun News for NIB upper prices & they're not too much over your $375 range.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Bob, I thought it was REASONABLE as a first offer as well, but he shot it down real quick, telling me its worth $550!  He was asking $700 for that upper with a Tasco Custom Shop 8-40x56SF and leupold rings, but yet he thinks that parting it out means he can ask for an exponentially higher amount!  Needless to say, there's no deal!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have been told by knowledgable folks to avoid the chrome bolt carriers. Too much wear on the upper, they say.

Time out.  A Chromed bolt and a Chromed bolt carrier are 2 different animals. It ok to have a chromed bolt.  You also want a chrome LINED carrier.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Time out.  A Chromed bolt and a Chromed bolt carrier are 2 different animals. It ok to have a chromed bolt.  You also want a chrome LINED carrier.

I do indeed know the difference between the bolt & b/c. You may have indeed thought I didn't. >gg<

But I was speaking of the entire b/c being chromed as is the bolt. I have been told repeatredly to stay away from that particular set-up. As for a chromed bolt, why would anyone want one?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks Bob, I thought it was REASONABLE as a first offer as well, but he shot it down real quick, telling me its worth $550!  He was asking $700 for that upper with a Tasco Custom Shop 8-40x56SF and leupold rings, but yet he thinks that parting it out means he can ask for an exponentially higher amount!  Needless to say, there's no deal!

Apparently this guy has no clue about the used market or has never been to a gun show & tried to trade!  >gg< I'd bet he'll be hanging on to his parts for a while too!  >gg<
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It would seem that a harder slicker bolt carrier would reduce friction, and thus reduce wear on the upper.

I would be willing to bet that 15 other things would wear out before upper wear even became an issue. (with or without a chrome carrier)
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would seem that a harder slicker bolt carrier would reduce friction, and thus reduce wear on the upper.

I would be willing to bet that 15 other things would wear out before upper wear even became an issue. (with or without a chrome carrier)

In all fairness to Bob, I agree with him.  There is just no benefit that would outweigh the cost or potential for premature wear.  Vinnie is right about the chrome lined carrier as well.  In either case, its a completely chromed bolt/carrier combo, which does not appeal to me.  

Anyway, this guy won't be selling anytime soon.  Doesn't really break my heart either, he seemed like a real dick and I'm no sucker when it comes to buying!

My last email to him ended with, "in a couple weeks/months when you lower the price, throw me an email and we'll see if the price is at market value."

Oh yeah, and he quoted me a price of $800 for this upper brand new.  HAAAAAA HA  HA HA HA!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top