Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2002 12:54:08 PM EDT
report please!
[I just recieved my Cetme yesterday.  Below is my report on its condition]

How do they disassemble, easily? I've heard horror stories. Have they worked out the bugs? Trigger group come out ok? Stock?

Is the break a real pain in the a...ear? Can it be replaced, or is it blind pinned and welded? I don't like breaks, but it looks pretty good in the pictures.

Anybody get a cleaning kit with their rifle?

How's the chamber, over parkerized?

Which receiver did you get from SOG?

I'll find out in a couple of days anyway, but am curious just the same. Sorry for all the questions. I couldn't even sleep last night. I haven't gotten a new gun in 5 whole months....way too long. I'm so excited!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I bought mine about 6 months ago - cast
stainless receiver model- off a dealer , so
I assume it's a early build by Century.

Wood needed refinishing, but rifle functions
100%.

If you wear muffs you won't even notice the
Brake is there.

If you get a good one - YOU WILL LOVE IT
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to agree with AKsRule.  I got mine in April.  I picked up some used mags from Tapco.  One of them was bad, and cause some nasty jams.  The other 7 mags I have work great.  The CETME doesn't beat up my shoulder the way my Mauser does.  Ammo is cheap if you buy bulk.  The break does add some noise, and my shooting buddies complain when they are on either side of me because of the blast from the muzzle break, but ohh well.

Disassembly requires pulling out two pins in the stock, and pulling the stock off of the receiver.  My trigger group comes out very easily.  The bolt is kind of tough to reassemble.  I recomend checking out the following for a info on the disassembly.

http://user.icx.net/~jonesgil/G3MANUAL.HTM#G3F3

Also check out this site for tons of CETME info.
http://www.geocities.com/miketheelectrician1/section2.html?1011759198960

I would recomend it.  A fun shooter, and now at a great low price!

Brad
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Got mine last October , stamped Hesse receiver . Visually the receiver is a little warped but functions fine . The butt stock is a bear to remove but has gotten easier over time and the pin nearest the trigger group takes a punch to remove . The weapon feeds perfectly with every type of ammo from soft points to SA surplus . Note : A good trick I learned in Germany to reassemble G3 bolt assembly is to use a adjustable wrench to rotate the bolthead to the proper position . Accuracy is on par with my FAL .
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got one of the early Cetmes with SS receiver,November 2001.Breaking it down was VERY tight until I did it a few times.I had to take a rubber mallet to it the 1st few tines.

The muzzle break is pinned and welded.I took mine off in about 15 minutes with a Milwaukee hand grinder.A dremel tool would work also,just longer.

Mine was in the mid 2000 serial range.The wood,barrel, and bolt was like new.I've heard serial numbers below 4000 were assembled from new kits.At least with mine I believe it.

I did get a cleaning kit with mine.Trigger pull is only about 50 pounds,or so it seems.This is the norm for the HK design.I'm very happy with mine.As usual with HK's it will eat just about anything.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a customer's gun in and it is build on a Century receiver. I noticed that on either side, just forward of the "grooves" in the receiver you can see INSIDE THE GUN! Is this common?

My Vollmer HK MP-5A3 doesn't have these gaps (coarse, it wasn't $299 either). I'm debating whether or not to even show it to the customer. Hell, I'd almost feel guilty / embarrased for transfering it to him.

I guess what I need to know is if this is a common problem or not. If it is, then the chances are that I won't find one unaffected. If it isn't, then its back to Century (I don't think SOG takes them back).

What do you guys think?

Saleen
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
report please!
[I just recieved my Cetme yesterday.  Below is my report on its condition]

How do they disassemble, easily? I've heard horror stories. Have they worked out the bugs? Trigger group come out ok? Stock?

It does not dissassemble easily.  I followed the instructions from the Cetme web sight.  It is getting easier to remove the trigger group and stock, but the two pins in the stock are very, very tight.  I have had to use a small mallet to remove them, and tap them the last little bit back in.  The stock looks used, but does not have too many dings and scratches in it.  I'm not sure if I even want to refinish it.  It is not unpleasent to look at, at all.

Is the break a real pain in the a...ear? Can it be replaced, or is it blind pinned and welded? I don't like breaks, but it looks pretty good in the pictures.

Don't know about the brake yet.  It looks like the gas is diverted straight up, down, L.side, R.Side.  None of it is diverted back towards the shooter, thank god.  I'll let you know later how it performs when I shoot it.

Anybody get a cleaning kit with their rifle?

No kit, not even the tube it goes in.

How's the chamber, over parkerized?

Chamber looks fine, does not seem overly tight.  Barrel/bore looks new, bright and shiney.

Which receiver did you get from SOG?

Receiver is marked Century Arms, and looks stamped, not forged. The receiver is very tight.  The butt stock does not fit easily over the reciever, and the pin holes look to be just a little canted on one side of the receiver(this acounts for the tightness of the pins).
The mag well is also very tight, and it is difficult to remove the magazines.  After putting them on and off several times, it is getting easier.  It seems very tight at the front of the mag well. The trigger group is tight to get on and off, but not so much that it is frustrating.  I'm not too upset about the tightness of the receiver.  It is better to be tight, than loose.  I figure it will loosen up as it is broken in.

I hope this helps any of you who are contemplating getting one of these.  They are well worth the @300.  Well, at least it will be if it goes bang every time, and is relatively accurate.  I'll let you know later.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top