Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2002 5:30:38 AM EDT
Came to check the thread this morning and it's deleted...hmmm.

QS
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe he saw the shame in his ways and what an idiot he was.
He was an ass ya know..
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Maybe he saw the shame in his ways and what an idiot he was.
He was an ass ya know..

Why do you assume he was a troll?  I checked back for that post too, because I wanted to hear your responses on the issue of putting the unwitting seller at risk of a felony.  I'm not judging, but wouldn't you be unhappy if BATF showed up on your doorstep with a search warrant and charged you with a felony all because some guy who bought a gun from you lied to you?  It wouldn't anger you one bit that a fellow gun owner who could have prevented all that kept his mouth shut instead of taking some action which could help you?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats just it, He was gonna rat someone out that would have caused the seller problems.
If he kept his mouth shut then no problems.
But he wanted to be an old lady and stick his nose
in someone else's business for a minor stupid issue.
The guy sucked.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, according to Nikita, the seller was unaware of the buyer's residence because the buyer lied.  Whether or not the buyer was 'ratted out', the seller is still (and will continue to be)unknowingly at risk because of the actions of the buyer.  Had the seller been alerted, he could have chose to take some corrective action.  Even had he/Nikita ratted out the buyer (a guy who knowingly committed two crimes in the purchase of the gun), his actions would have gone far to protect the unwitting seller.  

My point is simply this - if the buyer wanted to risk a felony to get an unpapered gun, thats fine.  He knew the risk and he made an informed decision.  Unfortunately, however, his actions and his deception also implicated another gun owner who knew nothing of the risk involved.  The seller had no opportunity to make an informed decision to risk a felony.  What it boils down to is this; would you rather take action to protect a law-abiding gun owner who was duped into a very bad situation, or do nothing and let them suffer the consequences when you could have done something to prevent it?

Of course, most of your ire was over the fact that he was only a third party in this transaction.  That is something I'm not quite ready to bash him over.  If you were directly involved in such a transaction, and realized after the fact you may have done something seriously wrong, would you pose a question in the first person?

All in all, like I said in my post yesterday, I'm not taking sides here, I just thought it was a little unfair to characterize him as a troll without considering all the possible ramifications.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

All in all, like I said in my post yesterday, I'm not taking sides here, I just thought it was a little unfair to characterize him as a troll without considering all the possible ramifications.

Shaggy,
regarding 'Nikita', this guy (?) had exactly two (2) posts and no email address displayed.
Then he puts forth one of those when-did-you-stop-beating-your-wife type scenarios.  If the Nikita wasn't a troll he sure displayed all the characteristics of a troll.
I'm not preaching to you or anyone else but I believe the guy was a troll and the subject a set-up.  Unfortunately, this dude will be back with a different user name and some borderline topic.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Actually, according to Nikita, the seller was unaware of the buyer's residence because the buyer lied.  Whether or not the buyer was 'ratted out', the seller is still (and will continue to be)unknowingly at risk because of the actions of the buyer.

Right,
Which is why he should have minded his own business.
If he does rat then the seller will have problems.
There is nothing that you can do for the seller now.
He already sold the gun. Is there anything he can do now ?
Im not advocating doing anything illegal.
Nor do I condone what the buyer did.
A gun, any gun is not worth the fines and jail time to me.
But this guy had no business with it at all,
and no one would be in any trouble if the guy just let it go.
What right did he have to get involved.
Obviously if he new the guy was a felon then that
is a whole nother story. Then by all means, we don't
need anymore criminals with guns.
But from what I read he was just some guy that crossed
state line to buy a gun and that particular state
had a law aginst it. Big deal.
I guess I have a laxed attitude about that since Texas
has such GOOD gun laws.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]

I firmly believe this topic was introduced simply to see what position our members would take regarding this bogus scenario.

Like I said, he'll be back with a different user name and another bogus deal.  (He can change names but changing writing style is very, very difficult.)
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, according to Nikita, the seller was unaware of the buyer's residence because the buyer lied.  Whether or not the buyer was 'ratted out', the seller is still (and will continue to be)unknowingly at risk because of the actions of the buyer.

Right,
Which is why he should have minded his own business.
If he does rat then the seller will have problems.
There is nothing that you can do for the seller now.
He already sold the gun. Is there anything he can do now ?

Well if he rats, he can help exculpate the seller.  If, however, he walks away and says nothing, the seller is left with not much to go on should that gun ever turn up.  Remember, that gun is illegal in the buyers state, so if the buyer ever got found with it in his home state, it would be traced back to the seller.

You see where I'm going with this though; the very fact that we can debate this issue means something.  I consider a troll to be someone who just posts useless crap that wastes everyones time.  At least with this issue there is a moral conundrum at the heart of it.  Not really a troll post IMHO.

Now I will admit, I only saw the "do I rat" post.  I didn't see any of his prior posts so maybe he is a troll, but I didn't get it from just that one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I didn't see any of his prior posts so maybe he is a troll, but I didn't get it from just that one.

Regarding prior posts you didn't miss much as he only had one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Foprget about the idiot poster Blaze-of-goo- wannabe... this is the "real" Nikita:

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I read the thread today.  Steve-in-VA moved it, I think.

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Foprget about the idiot poster Blaze-of-goo- wannabe... this is the "real" Nikita:

I LOVE HER.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]
She needs to fix her roots.  She looks like a reverse skunk.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
She needs to fix her roots.  She looks like a reverse skunk.

The roots are fine - I'd be happy to spunk that skunk.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#15]
The roots mean the cuff matches the collar, baby!  The blondeness around it is bonus fluff.
Check this out:

My, oh my.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Its back: New Post Not sure about the trolling though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top