Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2002 9:20:48 PM EDT
At the range recently I tripped and ended up giving my AR a mouthful of dirt. The muzzle brake  was pretty much fully clogged with soft dirt/clay (although none entered the barrel). Just to be safe I gave it a very thorough cleaning before firing again...

Theoretically, what would have happened if I had fired it right then with the clogged brake? No big deal or notify-next-of-kin time?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as the barrel itself wasn't plugged, all that would have happened is a very fast unclogging of your muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
At the range recently I tripped and ended up giving my AR a mouthful of dirt. The muzzle brake  was pretty much fully clogged with soft dirt/clay (although none entered the barrel). Just to be safe I gave it a very thorough cleaning before firing again...

Theoretically, what would have happened if I had fired it right then with the clogged brake? No big deal or notify-next-of-kin time?

READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL, NOW!
OBSTUCTIONS ARE OBSTRUCTIONS!
GG
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
As long as the barrel itself wasn't plugged, all that would have happened is a very fast unclogging of your muzzle brake.

I agree.  It would act like there was no brake at all, no an obstructed barrel.  All I could imagine it doing is blowing out the dirt.

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I am of course aware that any sort of barrel obstruction is highly dangerous. Rather than experimenting myself I thought it'd be smarter to ask if anyone here has experience with firing their AR under less-than-ideal conditions... (just so I know, if the proverbial S ever HTF =)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top