Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2002 2:45:33 PM EDT
Is this advisable? I just picked up a cherry wingmaster for $150, but it has no sights, not even a bead. It was set up for a scope by the prior owner, but he removed those parts.

Are there any red dot's that can take the recoil? If so, what would be the best way to mount one?

My new favorite sound
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I wouldn't put a red dot sight on my shotgun.  Since shotguns are short-range weapons and are not developed for precision, I wouldn't really use any aiming equipment that costs big money on them.  A red dot sight would make a shotgun look cool, but it won't be too practical.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be using this as a slug gun and have horrible eyes, so all the aiming help i can get is needed. What are some good "iron sights" styles for slug shooting? Should I just put some rifle type sights on it?

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't junk up a nice looking Wingmaster with anything, those are nice shotguns.

You don't need a sighting system if you properly mount a shotgun. In fact some instructors remove the beads on purpose because when you shoot a shotgun you are supposed to be looking at the target NOT THE BARREL. If the gun is properly mounted and fits you, then it will shoot where you are looking.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Tasco ProPoint3 on my Mossberg 500 (24" barrel).  This is my deer gun.  Red dots are quick to get on target.  I use only slugs and no buckshot to hunt deer.  Using a red got on a shotgun is a no brainer, place dot on deer...........squeeze trigger..............deer down.  My $80 Tasco proPoint3 is three seasons old and still as reliable as the day I mounted it.  Just add a fresh battery each season (if it needs it or not) and carry a backup battery.  

My mossberg might be a "cheap" set up, but it holds a 3" group at 100 yards.

Used Mossberg 500 w/24" accu-choked barrel  $100
Weaver scope mount $7.00
Drill and tap receiver FREE (DYI)
Tasco ProPoint3 (new) $80.00

OSA

BTW nice user name
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I put red dot sights on everything from 22's to 10ga shotguns.  They work out very well for turkey and slug guns.   Bird guns are another matter.  I got a cherry Rem 870 pump with the old fixed choke(full).  Nice gun, but police usally buy them and send them out for the tactical treatment.  Never had a problem with recoil.  I had one, just one leupold 4X shotgun scope have to go back because it "shot loose".  I put them in standard 1" OR 30MM  rings, no sweat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wouldn't junk up a nice looking Wingmaster with anything, those are nice shotguns.

You don't need a sighting system if you properly mount a shotgun. In fact some instructors remove the beads on purpose because when you shoot a shotgun you are supposed to be looking at the target NOT THE BARREL. If the gun is properly mounted and fits you, then it will shoot where you are looking.

We'll I don't know how good looking down the barrel would work for shooting slugs at deer 75 yards out, and I really like the both eyes open shooting of red dots.

You're right, a scope type sigh would make it look clunky.

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a Tasco ProPoint3 on my Mossberg 500 (24" barrel).  This is my deer gun.  Red dots are quick to get on target.  I use only slugs and no buckshot to hunt deer.  Using a red got on a shotgun is a no brainer, place dot on deer...........squeeze trigger..............deer down.

This is what i'm looking to do. Sounds like a good inexpensive setup.

My $80 Tasco proPoint3 is three seasons old and still as reliable as the day I mounted it.  Just add a fresh battery each season (if it needs it or not) and carry a backup battery.  

My mossberg might be a "cheap" set up, but it holds a 3" group at 100 yards.

Used Mossberg 500 w/24" accu-choked barrel  $100
Weaver scope mount $7.00
Drill and tap receiver FREE (DYI)
Tasco ProPoint3 (new) $80.00

$150, along with a plastic sack with about 45 rounds of mixed buckshot and slugs.

OSA

BTW nice user name

Same to you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top