Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2002 10:36:01 AM EDT
I don't want to spring for a new blueing job on a "tactical" rifle that is going to get drug through the weeds anyway... can I just paint that sucker?

What type of paint.... will regular old Rustoleum flat black out of a can work?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Since parkerizing is used as a primer, I *think* you should be fine.

Get a high temperature paint, like engine paint.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if any old paint would work for this but I've got an idea for you.  You could try using the high temperature paint that's used for coal and wood burning stoves.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I'd just go to the hardware store and buy some grill paint.  It should do just fine.  Just make sure to remove any oil or grease first.  Maybe use to carb cleaner to remove it then some starting fluid, it evaporates fast and won't leave any residue.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#4]
A friend of mine came over to the house to go shooting a few months back. He has a model A UZI that he bought used. It was in great shap except the barrel was scratched up pretty good. We went out to my shop and painted it with high temp grill paint in flat black. It matched up to the barrel perfect.

By now he's put about 1000 rds through it so far and the paint still looks like new. So I say go for it, I don't think you'll be disapointed at all.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#5]
don't you want to use a high quality latex primer first?  mcole
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Depending on what your price ceiling is, you may be better off buying one of the bake on moly finishes from Brownell's.  They have several different flavors - Alumahyde and GunKote seem to be the most popular, with GunKote being more expensive at aronud $20/can, I think.  The GunKote is only available in one color (black) whereas Alumahyde is available in many, but the GunKote appears to be more robust from what I hear.  I did an SAR-2 with GunKote which came out great and has held up really well.  Also had enough left over for a 5-6 of AK mags, 8 sten mags, and a handful of small parts.

Rocko
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I would love to try that stuff Rocko, but how to get that 26 inch barrel in the oven?  
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#8]
try to find some "Stove Black"..., my Grandmother used it on her old cast iron stove to touch up the hot spots, UP to a point Stove Black" works best when hot !!

check around the hardware stores, or type in "stove black" in your S.E. & go wild !!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would love to try that stuff Rocko, but how to get that 26 inch barrel in the oven?  

Hmmm, yeah that may be a bit of a squeeze.  The AK with the buttstock removed is just a hair over 26", I think.  Possible you may be able to fit your barreled action in diagonally (both horizontally and vertically) depending on your oven, but it would be a tight fit in any case.  You'd have to remove all the trays and rig up something else to hold it in that position, of course.  Also, if you have a wife/SO, you gotta factor in potential problems there as well .

Rocko
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I painted the front tip(out past the front sight) of an older A2 20" barrel, I got in trade, w/t high temp Grill flat black. It has worked fine so far.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Depending on what your price ceiling is, you may be better off buying one of the bake on moly finishes from Brownell's.  They have several different flavors - Alumahyde and GunKote seem to be the most popular, with GunKote being more expensive at aronud $20/can, I think.  The GunKote is only available in one color (black) whereas Alumahyde is available in many, but the GunKote appears to be more robust from what I hear.  I did an SAR-2 with GunKote which came out great and has held up really well.  Also had enough left over for a 5-6 of AK mags, 8 sten mags, and a handful of small parts.

Rocko

I used Mac's (www.shootiniron.com) to refinish my Bushy lower back in '98.  He did a great job for only $25.  Now, I see there's more variety in colors, particularly the OD paint job.  Definitely worth taking a look.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I suggest Brownell’s Aluma-Hyde II.  Below are instructions from the back of the can, which may be helpful.

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#13]
What, no shake and bake?

Hurrrrrrrrraaaaahhhh, I am saved.

Thanks 199, if I dont need an overn, that sounds like the ticket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top