Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 3:03:04 PM EDT
Was just at the local gun store and saw a rifle that will not leave my head.  It looks like it is a DPMS Panther Lite 16".  The rifle looks like new.  I'm not overly familiar with DPMS and their products.  How can I tell if this is a "frankengun" or not.  Any opinions would be appreciated.  Also, does DPMS use a chrome lined barrel/chamber?
Thank you, Sleepy717
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#1]
For the record, I have never owned or shot a DPMS rifle.

In my shooting circle--in which Bushmaster reigns followed by Rock River (for the serious competition shooters)--DPMS is not highly thought of.

I've heard that their receivers are cast and that the holes are sometimes drilled out of spec.  

Again, that is just what I've heard and NOT first hand experience.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS is a great company they come out of becker minnesota. I recentally purchashed The panther classic 16 and i'm very impressed with it. Also DPMS is a very comparable company to likes of Bushmaster and Rock River Arms. And for the record dpms does not chrome line there barrel and chamber.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've sold about half a dozen DPMS rifles to guys (and gals) in our local club and never had a complaint.  I own one DPMS rifle myself and am very seriously satisfied with it(Panther classic w/ 16" regular profile bbl, flattop, JP trigger, AK-74 style muzzle brake). It will shoot 3/4 MOA with Federal 62 gr. red box cheap stuff, 1/2MOA with Federal Gold Medal Match HPs.  I have a DPMS DCM (CMP) upper on order for myself. It has all the regular CMP goodies (stainless hvy bbl, free float tube, match front and rear sights) for about $150 less than anybody else that I can get a quote from will sell a similar upper for.  

DPMS can be slow to ship but they have always given me an honest estimate of when they can deliver the product.  They also have, without exception, shipped rifles sooner than promised.  Their customer service folks are friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

The AR15.com 2002 LEGP rifle is a DPMS.  That's a pretty strong statement in favor of their products in my book.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Have several DPMS AR's.. never a problem.  The finish, fit, and function are excellent.  Two are stainless bull barrels.. both will make consistent cloverleafs at 100 yds.  Have dealt with them directly here in MN.. they are an excellent company with great customer service and staff personnel.  My $.02.
Bravo5-2
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
DPMS is one of the best companies out there right now......do not be afraid to deal with them or any of their products.....customer service is up there with the best of them....(armalite)...........
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In my shooting circle--in which Bushmaster reigns followed by Rock River (for the serious competition shooters)--DPMS is not highly thought of.

I've heard that their receivers are cast and that the holes are sometimes drilled out of spec.  

I've heard that Bushmasters are all purple and the front sights are sometimes crooked.  <g>

Seriously, DPMS makes both cast and forged lowers.  Their forged lowers are at least as good as anything from BM, RRA, Colt, etc. and their cast lowers are functional if not as cosmetically pleasing.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Never owned a complete DPMS rifle. On one occasion had a lower that was out of spec and on another occasion lower parts out of spec. All repairable but they never should have left the factory that way.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#9]
www.dpmsinc.com/

Or, call them at 763/261-5600.

I'm not affiliated with them but they all seem to be a great bunch of guys.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I purchased a DPMS rifle and it is quite nice.  Sorry I don't have much more to say about it.

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]

The major manufacturers pretty much make the same stuff and get it from similar to the same sub-contractors.  Many of them share parts amongst themselves when one runs low on an item.

As a general rule, price and warranty is the key to most companies.

Anyone who has dealt with many different AR15's starts to find out that ALL companies have problems.  As long as they fix the problems, then you cannot ask much more if the problems are few.

Some people treat their allegiance like a sports team, ignoring the failures and in many cases blaming them on the person who bought “their” product.

It would almost be reasonable to say they are religious fanatics.

Ignore those who only say “X is the best” and do not tell you why.

You will also see a few complain about company X’s product being too this or that.  Find out what year they had the problem – companies do change over time and a few people just love to cause trouble and not expose the FULL truth.  A perfect example is Bushmasters “purple” lowers – they figured out how to make them black.  Olympic Arms was rumored to having used “black paint.”  Not sure if it is true, but today they do not.

Ignore the zealots and listen to those who are up front and give you the facts.

Good luck!

mark

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top