Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 11:22:52 AM EDT
If I'm going to sell a firearm to someone in another state can I send the firearm directly to the dealer?  Perhaps I must have an FFL here ship it to the prospective buyers FFL?  Please inform.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone can ship a firearm as long as it is to an FFL dealer, Gunsmith or the manufacturer.  Ship it Fed Ex or UPS to the FFL Dealer.

I would also get them to send you an ink signed copy of their FFL for your files and request that they confirm the receipt of your shipment.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a couple of dealers around here who refuse to accept a transfer from any one who is not an FFL dealer. It is not required by state or the Fed's it seems they just do it on a company/ store decision. Just to be a pain in the ass I guess. Check with the dealer.

JerrY
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would also get them to send you an ink signed copy of their FFL for your files and request that they confirm the receipt of your shipment.

Most dealers will NOT send their FFL to someone who is not an FFL already.  I was told by the BATF that people are forging them to receive materials they should not receive...

The BATF has set up a web site call eZFFL to look up an FFL and make sure where to send a firearm.  Go to www.atf.treas.gov and look under firearms and then on right side menu.

mark
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I'm going to sell a firearm to someone in another state can I send the firearm directly to the dealer?  Perhaps I must have an FFL here ship it to the prospective buyers FFL?  Please inform.  Thanks in advance.

Firearms can be sent directly from you to the dealer through FedEx or UPS. You can search for their exact regulations on their respective web sites. One thing I read was that the firing pin must be removed. I forget which site that was on. I think the main thing is that no ammunition can be included in the package.

I second what budam said, just get the first 3 and last 5 digits of the FFL number from the dealer to make sure it's current and you are shipping to the same address on record here ATF FFL EZ Check.

Edited to add url.

Edited to promptly remove erroneous information. BAD JAFO, BAD!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Handguns must be sent FFL to FFL.

I don't believe this is correct. Do you have a BATF cite on this?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Handguns must be sent FFL to FFL.

I don't believe this is correct. Do you have a BATF cite on this?

It's not correct.  Assuming your ffl has no problem with receiving a gun from a non-licensee, longgun or handgun does not matter.  If your ffl has a thing about receiving weapons only from another ffl, that's his requirement, but not federal law.

Federally, you can also ship any gun to the manufacturer and receive it back without an ffl, and you can ship a gun to yourself on a "hold for pickup" basis.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, handguns may not be sent through the U.S. Postal Service (by nonlicensees), rifles and shotguns may. Got cornfuzzled ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top