Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2002 6:02:32 AM EDT
I have been a reader on this board for over 2 years, but only lately signed in. I have been reading threads like "Gadget Trends" for a while now and am a little confused. I understand the KISS rule, but if we all followed that to the letter, we would still be shooting SP1 and Colt single stack 45. But as technology moves on, so do the guns. I have a good number of single stack (1911) weapons, but prefer a High cap Glock as my side arm. I also own a few SP1's and bolt rifles, but prefer my Flattop 14.5" AR with an ACOG, a RAS w/vertical grip, Redi-mag and Boone sling as my main shooter. I have a TACM III flashlight on a quick throw mount that can be locked on the weapon if situations dictate. It has a muzzle break permanently welded (old Jet Comp) and it works great. It weights in at 7 lbs and 14 ounces unloaded so "gadget" weight is not an issue. I admit when shooting the weapon on it's side sucks, but 99% of the time, it is being fired from standing, kneeling or prone where I can take full advantage of the break. I feel like I am the only shooter here that feels that "gizmo's" are useful. I  shoot about 200+ rounds a week and do compete in tactical matchs. Most shooters I shoot with use similar setups. Am I the only one here that does not shoot a bare bones weapon? Let me know if I am the minority. Also, give real reasons why a setup like above "won't" work, don't just critize. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I understand the KISS rule, but if we all followed that to the letter, we would still be shooting SP1 and Colt single stack 45

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell,I don't know man.
I can't see so I stick my 12 ga.,you come with in 100 yards of me it's your ass but passed that I would need a bit of help.

I guess the toy are ok if there going to keep you in the game but if there just for fun I don't feel the need for them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I  agree with both sides. I use a Colt AR-15 on duty and have added a Surefire 500, Aimpoint with Q/D mount, ARMS #40, Eagle tac sling, Ergo grip, and tritium front site. I use a cut up inner tube to make "ranger" bands to keep a spare mag on the stock. Everything is useful and for me practical with one exception. I also have a bone stock A-2 Bushy pre ban. Oh, the exception, the tritium front site. with an Aimpoint, flip up rear site, and a light, the tritium is triple redundancy and I would leave it off of I was doing it again.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the point of adding 5lbs to a lightweight carbine?

I have 3 AR's, with only 2 of them having anything added to them...both have an ARMS #38 and that's it.

I like mine to be simple, yet effective.  I think there's a point when adding gadgets to a rifle makes it more complex than it should be in a tactical situation.  There's just too much that can go wrong.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Brouhaha:
5 pounds additional???? Maybe I missed something. I know a stripped carbine comes in around 6 pounds and my weapon weights in less then 8 with the above "gadgets". I agree with you about adding to many "gadgets" can be a problem, the point I was trying to make (very badly it seems) is where do most of us draw that line. I see by your post you dislike any extra "stuff" on your weapon. And point taken on keeping it simple. But what would you consider a "tactical situation" that most forum readers would find themselves in?  And what could go wrong with having a Redi mag or a RAS assembly on a weapon that could not go wrong with a mag release button or regular handguards? Just looking for real life examples of things that have gone bad with "gadgets".
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]

we would still be shooting SP1 and Colt single stack 45
Don't you mean a lever action and wheel gun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Brouhaha, why just an ARMS 38?  If I remember correctly you installed the superextended model.  If that's all you plan to put up there, then why not just an ARMS 40? (not a flame, just curious to see what your thinking is)
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Brouhaha:
5 pounds additional????

I wasn't speaking about your rifle...just those with so much crap on them, they may as well be an OICW.

Vinnie,

On one rifle, I have the super extended, as I had planned on buying a Reflex that I wanted to be forward mounted.

The other is a standard, which I got because I might mount a compact ACOG, and I needed a riser so that the ACOG can clear the flip up sight.  I've been told that a compact ACOG will not clear the #40 without a riser.  So, I decided to just keep it simple and have one built in.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#10]
brouhaha:
My bad. I was a little confused on the weight thing (as usual). I do see that you do have plans for upgrades to your rifles, all of which I agree on being a big Trijicon fan. I hate batteries.
Thanks.

As for the SP1 and 1911 comment, this the AR15 board, right? I could have said club and sharpened stone but.....
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#11]
First of all, what's wrong with a single stack 1911?

Second of all, it's my feeling most people on this board use optics where iron sights are the minority.

My opinion on optics is an oldschool one, yet I'm 23.

I get much more enjoyment out of my weapons shooting irons.

It makes me feel all fuzzy warm inside when I'm shooting just as good with irons as others are with optics at the ranges I attend.

I bought a 20" flatop bushy with my mind set on mounting a red-dot on top.

That was until I actually shot it!! (it was my first and so far only AR)

I couldn't belive the groups I was getting with Irons, I was truely shocked!

Yesterday offhand @ 200 yards not even trying,  I was shooting at a metal gong almost a foot wide, 30 out of 30 hits, absolutely amazing!

Does this combat rifle need a scope or a red-dot?

Not in my opinion.

Enough of my mindless babbling.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Anything I add on I'm likely to just break off.  Doesn't matter what it is, car, gun, you name it.  If it wasn't designed in at the factory to take a good smackin' around, I'll break it off somehow.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

we would still be shooting SP1 and Colt single stack 45
Don't you mean a lever action and wheel gun.

That would actually be a bolt action rifle and a big knife, I think

Would you believe a pointed stick and a rock...
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey a pointed stick and a rock could be very deadly!!

Maybe it's time we ban them, for the children's children. God forbid we have to think and take responsibly for ourselves'.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
i think this was a "look at me thread" just to tell us all what kind of cool toy he has. bottom line is maybe, maybe 20% of this board has ever or will ever find themselves in a tactical situation with their rifle. im a plain jane kind of guy myself but i do love the aimpoint on my M4.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I understand the KISS rule, but if we all followed that to the letter, we would still be shooting SP1 and Colt single stack 45

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Me too, to a T.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
A very wonderful thing about the AR15/M16 is how it has developed into a modular weapon system. Just because you CAN tack on a bunch of shit to your rifle doesn't mean you should be toting around a rifle laden with NVS, reddot, Surefire light, laser, silencer, RAS, foregrip & M203 grenade launcher all at same time.

Outfit for the mission requirement. I often like best a single optic and maybe the Surefire weaponlight (nice light, but heavy). KISS.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top