Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 3:52:40 AM EDT
the other day we were looking at some mags, preban 10mm mags that a guy was selling for about $80.00. I of course was intrigued as the mags look brand new. The first thing I looked for was the LE ONLY stamp, but there was none with no proof of it being sanded off or anything like that. I just sat and talked to the guy and then finally I saw it, the mag followers were for the 45 and said it in real small print on the followers. I also noticed that the ramp on the follower differs slightly from my 10mm mags. Does anyone know first of all if this is illegal and if they would be okay to own? Second, can you replace the followers, because wouldn't the difference in the feedramp cause reliabilty issues? (I know you can on AR mags I've done it before, just wondered if there was a pistol legality issue). Pretty slick though for the seller, he was counting on a quick sell and not a buyer who is weary of a good sell. Then again maybe it is me who screwed up, please advise on this.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
The .45 and 10 bodies are the same size. The diff is whether they have 13 holes - .45 or 15 holes - 10. If they have the .45 follower, check this. You do need the 10 follower for them to function right. The $80 is reasonable now days. They are legal to own.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Be cautious here. At least one GlockTalk member was told by BATF that changing the caliber on a glock magazine constitutes "manufacturing a new high capacity magazine". For safety's sake (unless you want to be the test case) I would say find 10MM magazines somewhere....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
If they are not marked and are not altered permenantly buy them and switch out the followers you can buy them cheap or swap followers with another guy if you find someone who has what you need.

The ATF does not have a guy dedicated to tailing you to see if you swap followers, besides you could just say you were repairing an incorrectly assembled mag. If I put Lincoln wheel on my Crown Vic I did not just manufacture a Lincoln. You guys are just too damn paranoid sometimes.

BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
(I must be having a bad day....)

RANT MODE ON

Dang ATF... changing a mag stamping making a new mag?  What's wrong w/ them?  I mean you have people who modify other mags to work in the Springfield XD series pistols.  At least this is the same manufacturer....and practially the same mag body (no wait, it is).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top