Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 8:25:22 PM EDT
I recently met a young lady who has two boys, seven and eight. We get along great and they spend a considerable amount of time with me. Since there will be firearms in the house, not that I'd make them assessable but they have saw me bring mine in the house at night and have been qurious, I thought it would be a good time to teach them firearm safety 101. This could be fun for the three of us. Were can I find a good source of information to help?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
tell them "never ever touch them unless i say its ok and/or i am in the room with you"  then every once and a while leave a pistol or something in a drawer or out in the open and spy on them.  Make sure there is no rounds in it.  also teach them to never pick up the gun with out you, but instead to come get you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
also, tell them if they ever want to see and touch them, to just ask, and you would be happy to show them(like you wouldnt love the chance to show them off) this should cut down on curiouisity
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
tell them "never ever touch them unless i say its ok and/or i am in the room with you"  then every once and a while leave a pistol or something in a drawer or out in the open and spy on them.  Make sure there is no rounds in it.  also teach them to never pick up the gun with out you, but instead to come get you.

Just what I was thinking, I thought it would be better for them to have a safe experience with guns.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Start with Eddie Eagle...

If they see a firearm:
Stop!
Don't touch!
Leave the area!
Tell an adult!

Then the NRA Safety Rules...

Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Then Colonel Cooper's Rules...

1. Every gun is always loaded.
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3. Be certain of your target and beyond.
4. Never let your finger touch the trigger until you're ready to fire the weapon.

My kids are six, nine and ten and they say these from memory.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Pay close attention to what Arock says, when it comes to instructing children firearm safety, he is the best!!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the kind words.  But it's the kids that are the best.  I'm there to help pass the culture to the next generation.  Firearm safety is a family effort...everybody gets to share the fun and the safety.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Eddie Eagle video... a great investment and the kids love it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just what I was thinking, I thought it would be better for them to have a safe experience with guns.

my dad left them out and would stand in a courner where i couldnt see him. just to see what i would do.  i always went to him to tell him he left it out.  but he never put ammo in it when it was out like that.  it was kinda a test to see if i was listening to his teaching.  it wasnt ment to be a unsafe teaching aid.  he was in the room, i just couldnt see him.  but i never touched it without him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:50:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Be a good example and role model.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
My guns are always locked up when they are around. I know its better to be responsible and teach them in a responsible matter. I have told them that when they see a gun to Stop!Don't touch!Leave the area!Tell an adult! I was thinking of buying them their own gun, maybe a .22 rimfire chipmunk rifle. They could only handle it and fire it when I'm around.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Try teaching the beginning shooters(adults & children) the fundementals of shooting using an air pistol. There are surprising realistic looking pistols & revolvers that shoot .177 pellets. And you can shoot it in your backyard without the need for hearing protection, so your instructions can be clearly heard. But do remember eye protection though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#13]
My grampa, god rest his soul, taught me guns when I was like 6 or 7.  He used a very interesting learning process.  He pulled out a Winchester semi auto 12 gage.  Then he pulled out some kind of canned food.  He hit me on the head with it.  I was like what the hell's your problem?  He said, "That hurt, didnt it?"  I gave hime the "ya think so?" look.  He then threw the can and blew the holy hell out of it.  From that moment on, I started respecting firearms and their capabilities.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My grampa, god rest his soul, taught me guns when I was like 6 or 7.  He used a very interesting learning process.  He pulled out a Winchester semi auto 12 gage.  Then he pulled out some kind of canned food.  He hit me on the head with it.  I was like what the hell's your problem?  He said, "That hurt, didnt it?"  I gave hime the "ya think so?" look.  He then threw the can and blew the holy hell out of it.  From that moment on, I started respecting firearms and their capabilities.

I understand why he blew the can away to show you how powerfull a shotgun is but how does wacking you on the head teach you gun safety? or was he just acting like the average grandpa and if you get out of line you were going to get it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe this is it.

Grandpa finishes his 30th beer for the day.
Pulls out antoher
See this can?
Yes.
(grandpa roundhouses grandson with Can, knocking him on the ground)
Hey the hurt you asshole.
Yes, grandson, that can did hurt.
Now watch what a gun can do to the very same can that hurt you.

BOOM!!

I can see his point, might be alittle vage for a 6 year old though.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Arock has the proper answer. The only other thing is ask her how much does she want them to know about your guns. I saw an 8 year old at a hunters safety class with his mom. That is another good lesson to teach them.

Take them ALL out to the range. Seeing what a gun can do is the best lesson for them all. Also the way you respect the weapon is the way they will.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The only other thing is ask her how much does she want them to know about your guns.

Most definitely it is her children. I would never teach someone's children something they didn't approve of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top