Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2002 3:21:37 PM EDT
This thread is both a question and a warning to others to be a bit more careful with their cleaning products.

First, has anyone else here developed a sensitivity to CLP or any other cleaning products or solvents?  I have withheld judgement on this until 100% sure, but I am now certain I have become allergic to CLP, breaking out even after incidental exposure.  I get an itchy, ugly, poison ivy-like rash on my index fingers, where most of my CLP contact has occurred (contact dermatitis).  Gets better after 1 week, takes another week to disappear completely.  I believe it gets worse with each exposure.  I don't notice any reaction to other cleaning products or oils.

Anyone else get this?  I think I may be a special case - I used to be a chemist for Sony, working with UV-curable monomers and oligomers, compounds notorious for sensitization problems.  I think skin exposure to these materials may have given me a head-start in becoming sensitized to CLP.

So, if anyone else has problems like this, what oils and solvents do you use?  Have you noticed problems with other products?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Old or new formula?
The whole military change over stinks. They don't change things without a good reason and they never stated a good one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Break-free brand CLP.

Rem oil is my next choice, but I don't know if the reaction is PTFE-related or something else.  If it's a teflon-based lube problem, Rem oil is out of the picture for me.

I really do like CLP though.  Higher viscosity, it hangs around longer than Rem oil.  Too bad.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I heard, CLP can/has been known to cause liver damage....side effects. That's why they are withdrawing it from service.

'Course, it could all be FUD... but I've read this in several different places...

FUD=Fear, Uncertainty, & Doubt

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#5]
i always wear latex gloves when cleaning my weapons, my girlfriend could always tell even like 5 hours after cleaning them and washing my hands thoroughly. "you've been cleaning guns, haven't you?"

personally, i LIKE the smell, but common sense tells me that something designed to remove copper and lead deposits, probably isn't supposed to go on your hands.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#6]
While I am not able to say why, I have noticed that I have developed a sensitivity to Breakfree/CLP.  I have a respirsatory reaction whenever I use it. It causes me to become congested and gives me a headache.  No scientific research, just what I've noticed over the past few years.  I switched to Tetra about 4 years ago and do not have the same problems.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have developed a sensitivity to Breakfree/CLP.  I have a respirsatory reaction whenever I use it. It causes me to become congested and gives me a headache

Sensitivity is usually developed at the point of contact, with more severe reactions possibly developing as time goes on.  At Sony, there was a woman who couldn't tolerate being in the UV area - over time, any skin contact she had would provoke a rxn in the respiratory system, ie. lungs.

This is turning into an interesting thread.  I'm glad I asked.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
LarryLove-

In addition to my reaction, I know a firearms dealer (I've worked for him on an off over the last 20 years)who has the same type of reaction as I do, only more severe.  I should point out that this is caused regardless of the delivery system (i.e.- squeeze bottle or areosol can) with both of us.  Please keep me informed of any further developments.  Maybe medical testing may be in order down the road.

Beachboy
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had some problems with CLP.  Not only can it cause skin irritation, it breaks down the latex in my condoms.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I get that problem with CLP if I don't clean my hands well w/ soap and water soon after cleaning.

As long as I wash up well, I'm fine... but if I get lazy or get in a hurry, I'll be tender for a couple of days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top