Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 2:05:57 PM EDT
I had a M1-A1 "loaded" that was like new and shot .5 MOA. Really.  The gun was so nice after the third trip to the range I completely scoured the rifle clean and it rode my safe until I sold it recently.

I now have an AR-10A4 that shoots just as good, using the same load.  Now I'm afraid to shoot the Armalite!?

What the hell is wrong with me?

I'm like the guys that restore cars and never drive them. I Hate That! I need to fix this.  Next Saturday, I'm taking it shooting.

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I had a M1-A1 "loaded" that was like new and shot .5 MOA. Really.  The gun was so nice after the third trip to the range I completely scoured the rifle clean and it rode my safe until I sold it recently.

I now have an AR-10A4 that shoots just as good, using the same load.  Now I'm afraid to shoot the Armalite!?

What the hell is wrong with me?
You need serious help, and just to be safe you should give me your AR-10A4 before they start you up on some funny meds.

I'm like the guys that restore cars and never drive them. I Hate That! I need to fix this.  Next Saturday, I'm taking it shooting.

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The cure:

Go buy a LOT of .308 ammo.  Have to use up all that ammo
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Skullworks,

I might be crazy but I'm no fool!

Shadowblade,

I'm uncluttering the reloading bench and soon I'll be doing my favorite exercise, "The Dillon Curl".
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Gunz is for shootin'  Stamps is for collectin'...
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree I tried to shoot mine today but a IDPA match stopped that. I need to get the Cleaning Rod Bore Guide first anyway for the AR10.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Skullworks,

I might be crazy but I'm no fool!

But I would consider you a VERY dear friend if you did.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to shoot at least 1000 rounds to make sure it functions reliable.I think you are worried about it breaking or wearing out so you put it away 'while you're ahead'and then you wait for price to go up and then you sell.I have a gun with approx. 3500 rounds thru it that I don't shoot because I'm in the process of getting another one to that point and I'm probable scared that my flawless rifle will malfunction and then I'll be devistated.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I think what stops me from using it is I believe that it will "lose it's magic".  I also really like both guns.  I have only sold the M1-A1 because I knew I wouldn't grab it if the SHTF. Yes, I made money on that one. It makes up for three other times I sold a gun and lost money. I have only sold four guns. I believe I bought it for a reason so why sell it?

If a gun comes out of the box, gets cleaned and always feeds, fires, extracts and ejects. Why do I have to run 1000 rounds through it?  If it works when newish wouldn't a problem only surface after parts begin to wear out of specification?

skullworks,

Ok, Ok, since you asked nicely..If I ever GIVE my AR-10 away I will give it to you

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]

posted by rifleshooter
I'm uncluttering the reloading bench and soon I'll be doing my favorite exercise, "The Dillon Curl".

Maybe your favorite exercise. Mine is the horizontal tango followed closely by the 12oz. curl. But then I'm single...  
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's why you run at least 1000 rounds through it...my brand new BM worked great for the first 350 rounds or so , then it started malfunctioning big time and before I could get to 1000 rounds it needed to have the bolt and carrier replaced along with the gas tube and the upper was replaced 2X.In other words if I would have shot 350 rounds and then put it away I might not have known about the problems until my warranty ran out or until I was dead due to an 'evildoer' killing me while my rifle was jammed. (For the record - I now have 1190 rounds thru "Barbara Bushmaster" without a MF)
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
skullworks,

Ok, Ok, since you asked nicely..If I ever GIVE my AR-10 away I will give it to you

Is this the beginning of a beautiful friendship or what?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top