Posted: 6/21/2002 6:28:57 PM EDT

www.remingtonle.com/rifle/7600.htm

...just add Trijicon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Its the 760 Carbine!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Ahhhh. the PA deerslayer goes "tactical".  I sure wouldn't want to be an innocent bystander around that thing.  I had a bunch o' buddies when I was growing up in Pa that had 'em for deer.  Every one of 'em had problems (bad feeding, bad ejection, barrel coming loose), not to mention all the ones I've seen made a mini-14 look like a bench-rest gun.  PA is actually the main reason Big Green still makes that thing, PA is one of the few states where you can't hunt with a semi, hence the pump.
Later,
R
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why not make it on the semi auto frame (7400)? Busmaster don't you have a tricked out 7400?

Yes.  It's currently under reconstruction into a 'hunting carbine' configuration with the new Bell&Carlson stock and a Redfield Widefield scope.
 The differences between the 7600 LE carbine and my 7400 carbine is the LE has a 16 1/4" bbl. and mine has the 18 1/2" bbl.; and my 7400 is a .30-06.

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Ahhh The rumor is true!

This may be a tough choice for deer hunting... 7.62x39 AR, or this fun little gun!

-Jared
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Dammit!

Another gun that looks fun!

To many guns & never enough money....
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
16.25" barrel in .308?  Zoinks!  And here I thought my Mosin Nagant M38 carbine had extreme muzzle flash.  

Busmaster, a few questions:
Would a folding stock made for a 870 fit?  Your 7400 is slick but was the stock drop in or did you have to tweak it to fit?  I was under the impression that the 7600/7400 etc frames were more like the 20g or .410 sized 870 & not the 12.  

How good are the Eagle 10rnd mags?  I've seriously considered getting a 7600 to convert into a 'social' rifle.  As much as I like my lever action .30-30 a detatchable mag .308/.30-06 would be handier in some ways.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
16.25" barrel in .308?  Zoinks!  And here I thought my Mosin Nagant M38 carbine had extreme muzzle flash.  

Busmaster, a few questions:
Would a folding stock made for a 870 fit? ...probably would bolt right up to "pre-ban".  Be sure to follow the rules.
Your 7400 is slick but was the stock drop in or did you have to tweak it to fit?I had to file the part that scoots into the back of the action...a little tiny bit 'til it pressed in tight.  You can see how the stock is just a tad larger than the action.  I was under the impression that the 7600/7400 etc frames were more like the 20g or .410 sized 870 & not the 12. That seems to be right.

How good are the Eagle 10rnd mags? I haven't tried them yet...been meaning to.  I'm currently putting the rifle into it's intended configuration as a hunting carbine, with the Bell&Carlson stock set and a smaller scope.  Changing the stock shouldn't affect how those magazines work.  The Eagle mags don't have the follower that rises up like the stock magazines to act as a last shot bolt hold open.  I must get this thing together and try them out for fun.
I've seriously considered getting a 7600 to convert into a 'social' rifle.  As much as I like my lever action .30-30 a detatchable mag .308/.30-06 would be handier in some ways.
There was an article in a magazine a few years ago that discussed exactly what you said.  The guy only complained about the forend being a little noisy, "clacking", he said.  But, the gun was accurate, as the bbl. is free-floated on the 7600.  He added the Uncle Mike's bbl. band sling attachment and used Weaver base and rings to attach the scope so it could be removed easily.  Good article.  I think that 7600 LE is bitchin', regardless of the muzzle flash!  You might have a fun project in store building a "social rifle", especially if it works like your "social shotgun" and "social .22LR (the 572 model Remington).  Great little 3-set collection.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Busmaster, I have seen your 7400 before with the pistol grip stock, it is on my to do list. I hunted with a 742 in 30-06 for 20+ years and killed over 40 deer what a great gun. A couple of years ago the reciever wore out. I called Remington and was able to get a new 7400 on a trade in program for 300 something dollars. The new one is on it way, killed 6 deer already with it. The 7600 is a great gun, very accurate, very reliable, do not believe these stories. I am buying one in 270 this summer because I am going to hunt in PA. I like the long barrels better, they swing like a shotgun but the short one carry better especialy without a scope. MIKE.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]
BusMaster007:" Would a folding stock made for a 870 fit? ...probably would bolt right up to "pre-ban". Be sure to follow the rules."  

That's cool, if I got a Remington to convert into a 'social' rifle I'd go for the M7600 pump so no worries Re any 'assault weapon' crap.  The rules don't apply to manually operated rifles (other than the NFA barrel/overall length).  Folding stock, bayonet lug, pistol grip, flash hider, threaded barrel=all legal.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why not make it on the semi auto frame (7400)? ...

I suspect the philosophy behind this rifle is that it functions almost identically to the 870 pump that many LE departments already have.  

I question the wisdom of using the Scattergun rear sight on this rifle.  While an excellent, rugged sight for shotgun use, it is very difficult to adjust accurately.  A micrometer sight would be far better.  Plus the aperture is a bit large for use on a rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top