Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2002 1:48:19 PM EDT
I picked up my SOG CETME at the FFL yesterday.  After taking a couple hours to clean (and figure out how to take apart) it didn't look too bad.  However, it must have been stored with a coat of oil and a couple cups of dirt and grime.

It has a stamped Century receiver that was obviously made by trained monkeys.  I say trained because it appears to be solid at the weld points.  I say monkeys because the weld job is sloppy!

After running the action about 50 times it started to work itself in.  I loaded some snap caps in a mag and it would chamber and extract them with no problem on both of the mags I received.  Oh....the two twenty round mags I received look like new.  It also came with a five round mag that also looked new.

The wood is obviously field used surplus.  No cracks found, but several scratches, dents, and so on.  Some Murphy's Oil Soap cleaned it up enough for me for now.  I plan on adding a green plastic stock set to it anyway for that G3 look.

I shot only 20 rounds from it today off hand standing on my porch.  I shot at dirt clods in the field next to me at approximately 100 yards.  From what I can tell it appears to be pretty close to being on.  I had zero problems with that first twenty rounds.

The CETME is a brass projectile machine.  You could be shooting a target at 50 yards and hit another target at 15 yards with the brass.  It was ejecting it 15 yards to the right front of me.  Oh, the brass also comes out looking like crap.  The chamber of the CETME has grooves in it (someone probably has the correct name.) It marks up the brass pretty bad.

Overall....I am happy with it.  Heck, for $299 you can't go wrong.  It goes bang when I pull the trigger and it appears that it will hold together (will send another report after I shoot 500 rounds through it.)
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I should add that the barrel was in good shape.  It was shiny and the rifling looked sharp.  However, I could not tell this until after I ran a couple of patches through it to remove some of the grime.

If you have not figured it out they are really dirty when you receive them.

medcop
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
On my last SOG flyer, they were still posted as 369.00.  What's the deal? Only 299? Where are you going to get a green plastic stock for it?  G3parts?  Will they fit?  Thanks for the report.
guns762
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
On my last SOG flyer, they were still posted as 369.00.  What's the deal? Only 299? Where are you going to get a green plastic stock for it?  G3parts?  Will they fit?  Thanks for the report.
guns762

Not sure on the flyer thing.  On the web page they show $299.  They are still $299 as of yesterday.
www.southernohiogun.com/index.html

I think I am going to get a stock set from nouglyguns.  They have them already modified to fit the CETME.  From what I understand you have to use a diff. bolt on the stock and a diff. pin on the handguard, and do a little trimming on the p-grip.  I think they go for $110 ready to mount from them.

medcop
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Those grooves in the chamber are called flutes.  The purpose of HK's or CETME's fluted chamber (as explained to me at armorer's school) is to allow propellant gas to float the catridge case in the chamber as pressure falls to ease extraction.  I have also heard that the flutes allowed the case to grip the chamber, thereby slowing the recoil operated action.  The first explanation is the one that came from the mouth of HK, so that's what I go with.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my CETME
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I should get mine Sat. or Monday. If you call SOG and get there answering machine the tell you it on sale for $299. They ship same day takes 4 -5 days for delivery. So I was told. I ordered mine early this week and they where still going for $299. For that price cant pass it up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
how much for shipping?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The chamber of the CETME has grooves in it (someone probably has the correct name.)

A Fluted chamber.  NEVER shoot steel cased ammo in a fluted chamber.  There are reports of the casing splitting on the flutes, and creating a hand grenade effect.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got 2 of these last week.  $615 delivered to FL.  Both appear very, very good.  Maybe things have improved over at CAI... or maybe they just figured out how to build them properly.  A bargain.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#13]
i love mine! the only complaint is the spray paint finish CAI paints them with is worse than crap.

As for throwing brass. I DO NOT RECOMMEND BUMP FIRING! I have scars all over my right arm from where brass bounced off my skin.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Wouldn't the import parts rule apply to these?  What parts are US made on the Cetmes?  I don't see any except the receiver and maybe the pistol grip... everything else looks original foreign.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm pretty sure the trigger group is American
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I received my CETME from SOG last week also.  I took it out this weekend and kept most shots within 3" standing.

I had a Failure to Feeds and they dented the case 4X as much as the little dent during extraction.  Most likely a soft spring in the mag towards the last couple rounds.

I also had 1 short stroke.

Rifle shot great.  Accuracy was fine and it shot smooth.  Don't shoot it without ear protection.  I had mine in.  A friend shot it after removing his ear prot. and just about cr&*(ed himself.  He didn't go for a second round.

Appearance on mine was good, bore good, receiver welds OK, paint is cheesy, touchup is available at CAI, mags from Tapco worked good, Strip down is easy and everything is tight.

If you haven't picked up a CETME and have wanted to, do it.  Don't get hung up on some of the small visuals.  You can priss it up later.  They are great shooters for $299.

Centerfire Systems has a little bit better price.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

no, it's foreign.  Besides, only the trigger, hammer and disconnector would count and that wouldn;t be enough parts...  

I did just get what I consider to be a disturbing email from SOG... it is as follows:

"Sir,
The US parts are:
Trigger        Follower
Hammer      Floorplate
Buttstock    Disconnector
Pistol Grip    Muzzlebrake
These parts are for every rifle imported into the US.  If you have any
further questions please let us know."

I don't know about any of you guys but my butt stock is not US made... it's original Cetme wood.  I'm pulling this thing apart tonight to see if any of the internals are US made.  Also, I asked if all 3 mags supplied had the US parts or only the 5 rounder does.  I'll post their response.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Medcop,
Just had to let you know, your post pushed me over the edge.  I had my FFl order one for me today.  Since you are partly to blame, I thought you might want to pay for part of it?????  Can I at least come stay at your house when my wife kicks me out?  Our 10th anniversery is next Tues.  She gets a new ring.....I get a cetme.  I think after 10yrs I deserve it; at least that is what I'm telling myself.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks all for motivating me to buy a CETME.  I am still kicking myself for selling my HK91 several years ago, so I thought this would be a cheap, fun alternative.  Rebel
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Medcop,
Just had to let you know, your post pushed me over the edge.  I had my FFl order one for me today.  Since you are partly to blame, I thought you might want to pay for part of it?????  Can I at least come stay at your house when my wife kicks me out?  Our 10th anniversery is next Tues.  She gets a new ring.....I get a cetme.  I think after 10yrs I deserve it; at least that is what I'm telling myself.

LOL!....I will have to pass on helping you pay for it.  However, if you need a place to crash I do have an extra room.  

medcop
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no, it's foreign.  Besides, only the trigger, hammer and disconnector would count and that wouldn;t be enough parts...  

I did just get what I consider to be a disturbing email from SOG... it is as follows:

"Sir,
The US parts are:
Trigger        Follower
Hammer      Floorplate
Buttstock    Disconnector
Pistol Grip    Muzzlebrake
These parts are for every rifle imported into the US.  If you have any
further questions please let us know."

I don't know about any of you guys but my butt stock is not US made... it's original Cetme wood.  I'm pulling this thing apart tonight to see if any of the internals are US made.  Also, I asked if all 3 mags supplied had the US parts or only the 5 rounder does.  I'll post their response.

SOG doesn't seem to want to respond to my inquiries any further... As I see it the buttstock, floorplates, followers are all original foreign parts.  

The trigger, hammer, disconnector are marked with the Century "C".  The p/g and brake aren't original so it's probably safe to assume they are US made.  I would assume the trunion is US also.  As is, of course, the receiver.

This would mean foreign barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, op rod, trigger housing, buttstock, forearm, mag body/follower/floorplate.  Should be legal using any mag.

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Medcop and any others that have recently gotten your Cetmes,

How do they disassemble, easily?  I've heard horror stories.  Have they worked out the bugs?  Trigger group come out ok? Stock?

Is the break a real pain in the a...ear?  Can it be replaced, or is it blind pinned and welded?  I don't like breaks, but it looks pretty good in the pictures.  

Anybody get a cleaning kit with their rifle?

How's the chamber, over parkerized?

Which receiver did you get from SOG?

I'll find out in a couple of days anyway, but am curious just the same.  Sorry for all the questions.  I couldn't even sleep last night. I haven't gotten a new gun in 5 whole months....way too long.    I'm so excited!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Picked up both of mine yesterday. I was trying to keep it from my wife. The gun store called when I was laying down. Busted. No way out off this one. I guess I will have to lay off bying guns for 6 months. I did have a problem with 2 mags not fitting very well, in either rifle. Most likely the mags. I have 10 more ( packed I am moving) so I wont get a chance to check them out. For that matter I wont get to shot them any time so either. The finish is a little sloppy. But all in all I am very happy, Just one question for those that have one allready. How do you disassemble the damned thing. I thought I had it figured out but I guess not. If someone could help or know where I can pick up a manual I would be gratful. Thanks and good shooting.
TOW2B
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The chamber of the CETME has grooves in it (someone probably has the correct name.)

A Fluted chamber.  NEVER shoot steel cased ammo in a fluted chamber.  There are reports of the casing splitting on the flutes, and creating a hand grenade effect.

Where do people get this stuff?  Literature put out by CETME themselves on this rifle indicate steel cased ammo is just fine to shoot in their firearms.  I would go with what the manufacturer states over "reports of the casing splitting on the flutes, and creating a hand grenade effect" any day of the week...
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Where do people get this stuff?

It was reported on BOTH HK91.com and HKPro.com a while back.  Somebody had a HK91 blow apart on them while using steel cased ammo.  They called HK about it, and were told it was due to the steel cases splitting instead of stretching on the flutes.  It's not like I make it up myself.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was reported on BOTH HK91.com and HKPro.com a while back.  Somebody had a HK91 blow apart on them while using steel cased ammo.  They called HK about it, and were told it was due to the steel cases splitting instead of stretching on the flutes.  It's not like I make it up myself.

Of course HK would blame the ammo, it is like the whole Ford, Firestone debate. It is always easier to blame the other guy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw it with my own eyes in official literature put out by C.E.T.M.E...  steel is just fine.

As far as the post on HKPRO, I believe you didn't make it up...  if it did really happen there are many other factors that could have caused such a failure.  

Just last month there was a thread that Wolf 308 ammo was dangerous... the poster indicated the cases were brass, the bullets had a green tip, packed 50 rounds to a brown cardboard box... when all was said and done it turned out to not be Wolf afterall... just someone posting crap without first hand knowledge...
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Check out www.gunboards.com scroll down to the cetme forum lots of info there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top